Remembering Hewitt

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Keats was not seriously considered.

Drew and Capel were the frontrunners once Mack said he wasn't interested.
GT and Drew were closing in on a deal so Capel was allowed to do the public 'I have no interest in the job' bit. Then Kevin Stallings jumped from Vandy. They came after Drew hard after he had verbally agreed with GT (there was at least 1 asst that had already been lined up), Drew preferred the private school to the public school after watching his brother at Baylor and Vandy could pay more (rumor is it went $2.7MM yr).

At that point it was too late to go back to Capel since he had already made the public statement.

Thanks for that, Red. I never knew exactly how all this went down, except I knew that CPJ seemed (to me, anyway) to come out of left field. Guess this proves the "don't count your chickens" adage, doesn't it?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
For me, whoever the next coach is, my number 1 priority is to get Jarrett Jack on staff if he has any interest whatsoever. I think he would be an absolute stud recruiter. His reputation as a go-to guy among NBA players is legendary.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Never wanted Capel and glad we didn't get him.

Am surprised how bad CJP's recruiting has been though. And equally, if not more surprised, how good Bryce Drew's recruiting has been.

Oddly, the better Bryce Drew has recruited, the worse results he's gotten at Vandy. Maybe there's more to it because I don't follow Vandy, but holy crap he's winless in the SEC this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Oddly, the better Bryce Drew has recruited, the worse results he's gotten at Vandy. Maybe there's more to it because I don't follow Vandy, but holy crap he's winless in the SEC this year.

Being winless in that league with the talent he has is pretty bad. He lost Garland early but that shouldn't have hamstrung him to this degree.

That $aid, he ju$t keep$ landing recruit$ by $ome mean$. I ju$t can't put my finger on it. :greedy:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For me, whoever the next coach is, my number 1 priority is to get Jarrett Jack on staff if he has any interest whatsoever. I think he would be an absolute stud recruiter. His reputation as a go-to guy among NBA players is legendary.

I always assumed he'd land an NBA front office gig if he wants it. If he wants to do the college thing, he'd be great to have as a part of the program.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Why do we have to wait until the next coach? Why couldn't CJP make that a priority?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Why do we have to wait until the next coach? Why couldn't CJP make that a priority?

Fair question. Probably a crappy way to think about it as a fan, but I just don't have faith this staff is going to make it and I don't want Jack coming into a staff that is going to get turned over in 2 years. Maybe he could be the guy to come in and fix that? That would be great.

Obviously we finished the last two games with a nice run and I am back in my optimistic mode. If Philips hadn't been a complete bust and/or we had another 4* coming in next year, I might even have hope to be on the bubble next season. As it is, we haven't really even been on the bubble for a decade : (

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Fair question. Probably a crappy way to think about it as a fan, but I just don't have faith this staff is going to make it and I don't want Jack coming into a staff that is going to get turned over in 2 years. Maybe he could be the guy to come in and fix that? That would be great.

Obviously we finished the last two games with a nice run and I am back in my optimistic mode. If Philips hadn't been a complete bust and/or we had another 4* coming in next year, I might even have hope to be on the bubble next season. As it is, we haven't really even been on the bubble for a decade : (

Wouldn’t mind seeing Wilkins go and Jack come in

Show videos of West and Jack and tell me kids don’t want to be those guys

Yeah, the whole Final4, championship game, constant stream of talent comin' in ... yeah, sign me up for none-a that. :rolleyes:

I'd rehire the dude today if it guaranteed half of what he accomplished here .. inbounds plays and all.
You can have him. He had a good run when he also a good set of associates. And then we were left with just him and his black coaches association bs. He cared more about that association at the end then he did about Tech. So yeah he burned that good will.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You can have him. He had a good run when he also a good set of associates. And then we were left with just him and his black coaches association bs. He cared more about that association at the end then he did about Tech. So yeah he burned that good will.

Interesting you went to that instead of on-court stuff which rightfully earned him being fired.

Well, not that interesting ... more like 'telling'.

Interesting you went to that instead of on-court stuff which rightfully earned him being fired.

Well, not that interesting ... more like 'telling'.
Honestly the side tracking he did, did cause his professional success to collapse. I'd fired for several reasons but not putting Tech first is telling to me. So what does my line tell you? Mr Freud. Anxious to hear this.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Honestly the side tracking he did, did cause his professional success to collapse. I'd fired for several reasons but not putting Tech first is telling to me. So what does my line tell you? Mr Freud. Anxious to hear this.

I think if he'd won a title but still had the 'black coaches thing', you'd probably still hate him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think if he'd won a title but still had the 'black coaches thing', you'd probably still hate him.
It could have been the White College Coaches Assoc and I would have been disturbed by the emphasis he placed on it and the resulting on court results of his teams.
I do agree that ultimately, the primary thing that matters is the on court result. I did not say "only thing" because I feel how you represent the school matters as well, and I feel Hewitt was a class act in that regard everywhere I saw him. I gave him an A+ on that score.
But I will admit I was also a bit worried about the outside interests.....