Regional: Ga Tech, UNCW, UGa, Army

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We had a tough schedule overall. Our conference schedule (especially when factoring the road series) was key to that. As it turned out (ironically)... the strong SoS factored into the bid... not even a bubble team as far as the committee was concerned. The chatter was focused on the OOC schedule. Perhaps the coaching staff actually knew what they were doing with the schedule. :)

For record.... I want Ga Tech to play tough competition every single game. But I just want to see good teams play. My desired schedule would have resulted in a bunch of quality opponents... more losses... and plans this weekend to be doing something other than watching my team in a regional because they would not have made it. :)

I disagree (of course). I think the ACC end was harder than anyone expected which helped our ACC SoS.

If we hadn't scheduled the the patsies, our SoS OOC would have been much better as would our overall. Those patsies ended up where they usually do RPI of 212, 256 and 284 with 4 games against 284. That is gross scheduling incompetence.

Of course we had to win games against good opponents and we didn't win enough against the teams we played. At least I think 10-14 against Quad 1 means you aren't a Quad 1 team which we always should be. If we had won more we'd be fine. If we had scheduled slightly tougher OOC and won those games, we would have maybe snuck into a 2 seed. But we never won enough to make a 1 seed.

1717105212534.png

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree (of course). I think the ACC end was harder than anyone expected which helped our ACC SoS.

If we hadn't scheduled the the patsies, our SoS OOC would have been much better as would our overall. Those patsies ended up where they usually do RPI of 212, 256 and 284 with 4 games against 284. That is gross scheduling incompetence.

Of course we had to win games against good opponents and we didn't win enough against the teams we played. At least I think 10-14 against Quad 1 means you aren't a Quad 1 team which we always should be. If we had won more we'd be fine. If we had scheduled slightly tougher OOC and won those games, we would have maybe snuck into a 2 seed. But we never won enough to make a 1 seed.

View attachment 16226
Interesting note on those patsies, 2 of the 3 (Youngstown St and Cornell) both made the finals of their conference tournaments. That's in addition to Kennesaw St and GA Southern who both did as well. Not really sure what it means or if it justifies scheduling them, but I still found it interesting.

The 2 teams we scheduled who clearly did the worst in their conference were Radford and Auburn, who we still couldn't beat.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@GTNavyNuke there are quite a few things we disagree on (slightly... but significantly)

First of all... incompetence? It's nit picking but we don't know what attempts were made when to have a different/better ooc schedule. Historically, we've never had an easier ooc schedule. This year's schedule was an outlier. Again, I'd love to see much tougher competition. But attributing a weak schedule to incompetence from Hall (I assume) seems like a shot for sake of a shot.

We also don't agree on what this team's (as assembled) potential was to begin season. I felt a post-season bid would be possible but not a certainty. So... a #1 seed wasn't on my radar. I make no distinction between 2/3... that usually comes down to geography or avoiding placing 2 teams from same conference in a regional.

FittedJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We can keep debating SOS RPI, etc, but in reality if we beat the teams we should have beaten (BC Auburn Cornell) and didn’t blow a lead at UNC we may have even been in the hosting conversation. Traditionally our “in state” OOC is really difficult, but this year some of the other programs weren’t as strong as they usually are. Kind of a perfect storm but as it has been said “that’s baseball”. With that being said, I am looking forward to watching a bunch of games this weekend. I don’t particularly care who pitches and when they pitch. CDH gets paid a boat load of money to coach the team, so i will let him worry about the rotation. The beauty of this time of the year is that all you have to do is win. SOS RPI all go out the window. Survive and advance. Having been to Tech games in Athens I offer some tips to make it a safe experience: bring plenty of hand sanitizer, a dog whistle in case the barking get obnoxious, and a taser in the case of off leash unruly dogs who invade your personal space. Enjoy!

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Just checked the TV schedule and the games in Athens today are both on ESPN+, which of course requires a subscription. I dropped my Disney bundle within an hour of FSU getting snubbed in football and will not give them $$ for even 1 month of ESPN+.

So I'm now the one asking about alternate ways of watching the game. Anyone know a way to watch without a subscription?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Army just intentionally walked Condon with a runner on 1st and one out.
I hate to see this. It's not good for the game, but it's also just not smart baseball. I hope Army can put up some runs and win the game, but I must admit I was a little happy to see this particular move fail, as UGa put up a 3-spot.