Refs Calls in the Game

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke Little holding calls get missed all the time. I think the 1st half was a normal called game, I don't like all the outcomes but it is normal. The second half was not normal.

Big time in your face holds with a ref 10 feet away? No, they were pissed because of the boos. We were called on our big holds and Duke had a free ride. They did get a low block called in second half but not much else.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Longest, I think you are right that the refs intentionally missed the calls in the second half to show they were in control. But you or I can't prove what's going through someone's mind or why they do it. All we know are the actions which can be observed.

It sucks, but when was the last time we ever heard about something being done about missed calls in the ACC?

The helmet to helmet spearing of Golden when he was on the ground was what I saw live, but they "chose" not to call that too. Should be more of a suspension than what we got. And your video of JT's leg getting wrenched after the play by LeVon should be cause for him to be suspended for a game. But it won't.

I really like your videos, they are worth thousands of words. (Now back to fighting with my computer and Java ........ )

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
At one time, the students on the North End were chanting "Ref you suck" when the referee (white capped dude) was standing in the end zone right in front of them. He turned and looked at the them with a "why in the world are you chanting that" look on his face. He really looked perplexed.

This crew was so terrible even us old farts in lower west were yelling that. Several times, in fact. Ridiculous!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
His butt hitting the ground before the 1st down. I think the ball may have been marked at the 1st down even with the butt down.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, while watching film, I saw a blatant illegal chop block committed by us that was missed too. Smelter ran in to crack a LB up high at the same time as (I believe) Mason was cutting him down low. We went on to score a FG on the drive and were very lucky it wasn't called. Maybe it was because it wasn't in the typical location on the field you usually see it. Fortunately the guy wasn't hurt.

It was a bad day for those refs all around.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Anybody got some video on the crawl-for-extra-yards late in the game? My DVR cut off due to the weather delay.

Missing holding calls is something that usually goes both ways. Letting someone move the ball down field after being down is a extra level of incompetence.
That was a mauling and tackle. I understand missing hands going around and maybe a take down in the middle of the line but the mauling with 2 refs there and at the QB area is inexcusable.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We lost because of multiple break downs: coming out flat, poor passing by JT, turnovers, penalties, key injuries, horrible refs, poor perimeter blocking, bad tackling, getting blown off the ball on the defensive LOS... it wasn't just one thing. All that and we still nearly pulled it off. It used to be just one misfiring part of the engine meant defeat. Now it takes many. Too much silver lining?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
We lost because of multiple break downs: coming out flat, poor passing by JT, turnovers, penalties, key injuries, horrible refs, poor perimeter blocking, bad tackling, getting blown off the ball on the defensive LOS... it wasn't just one thing. All that and we still nearly pulled it off. It used to be just one misfiring part of the engine meant defeat. Now it takes many. Too much silver lining?
This team has so much potential next year. This level of breakdown was probably going to happen at some point this year due to lack of defensive depth... although I didn't think it was going to happen until the NC State game.

The refs were very active and inconsistent. Take them out of the equation and the odds are very good for a GT win, despite all the other break downs.

The resiliency of this team next year may be something special.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season about that. Every year we have one of these games and it's maddening. I hope we didn't come out flat, because that's the one thing that's inexcusable. It's on the coaches to make sure the kids are motivated. If they are not able to consistently do that, they're not doing their jobs well.

Also, the lack of D in PJ's entire tenure is really telling. There is only one common factor there and that's PJ.

Like I said I'll reserve judgement till the end of the year, but why we can't have some semblance of D is beyond me.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....................The resiliency of this team next year may be something special.

Not too bad this year. We didn't give up being down 3 scores in the fourth against Fluke. Damn near got a miracle.

The VT game was real resilience - after the VT fumble that they got lucky and scored, we could have packed it in. Or the GSU game where we blew a three score lead ....... or the Tulane game where we turned over the ball on the first play on the 10........

I think this team will fight all year. Next year (if this recruiting class holds) we will get real help (on the DL).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's on the coaches to make sure the kids are motivated. If they are not able to consistently do that, they're not doing their jobs well.
I disagree with this. A) There's only so much a coach can do, I'm sure the staff realized the potential for an emotional let down and did everything humanly possible to avoid it. B) When do the players actually take responsibility for anything anymore? Kid comes out flat - blame the coaches, kid misses an assignment - blame the coaches, kid has poor technique - blame the coaches, kid is too slow, too weak, too anything bad - blame the coaches.

I rowed in college for GT. I know it's not big time college sports, but I wore the logo and competed against the mutts, the entire ACC and even some Ivy's. It was a club sport and still is. I lacked for a lot physically, athletically, skill, technique - you name it. I never, ever, ever lacked for motivation. Ever. That, my friend is, always has been and always will be on the SA, period.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with this. A) There's only so much a coach can do, I'm sure the staff realized the potential for an emotional let down and did everything humanly possible to avoid it. B) When do the players actually take responsibility for anything anymore? Kid comes out flat - blame the coaches, kid misses an assignment - blame the coaches, kid has poor technique - blame the coaches, kid is too slow, too weak, too anything bad - blame the coaches.

I rowed in college for GT. I know it's not big time college sports, but I wore the logo and competed against the mutts, the entire ACC and even some Ivy's. It was a club sport and still is. I lacked for a lot physically, athletically, skill, technique - you name it. I never, ever, ever lacked for motivation. Ever. That, my friend is, always has been and always will be on the SA, period.

You are so right, does anyone think the coaches did not stress and focus all week on this? You see the best in the world have issues getting up for games, why would college SAs be any different? Motivation, drive, focus and heart come from within not from external sources. Coaches can only do so much when it comes to getting a team "up", it's on each individual to find within themselves to be game ready!

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well there was this. Seems like we were doomed before the game even started.
10729329_629757150476263_256589109_n.jpg

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One reason this all seems to be a really over the top level of incompetence is that normally when refs have several close calls that go against one team they seem to almost unconsciously start making calls the other way to "even things out." I thought I read several years ago that refs are told the penalty count at half time and if it seems too one sided they try to really monitor their calls in the second half to make sure they are not giving one team an advantage over the other.