Refs Calls in the Game

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am going to open myself up to be butchered, but I thought the ref calls in the 1st half were "normal", maybe not all right but normal. Some go your way and some you don't. I don't like the pass interference and the targeting was a close one (the helmet did hit, but he led with his shoulder).

The fans really booed the refs hard when they walked on the field for the second half. I mean really hissed and booed. This is where things changed and this is what we ended up with...

shockwaveGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Are there any means of recourse or review for the refs? I know it wont change the game but they shouldn't be untouchable.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The answer is yes. I'm betting that the films on this are already at the ACC commissioner's office and that this particular crew - or, at least, the head linesman - won't see Grant Field again anytime soon.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The refs let a lot of calls slide on Duke but nailed us on any little thing they could and some stuff that wasn't. Really think GT needs to present to ACC and boycott this crew in the future. I wonder if Cutcliffe took them all to dinner last night.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Since I was at the game and didn't have access to multiple replays, I have a question about the "incomplete pass" to Smelter. Seeing it live and the one or two replays, it looked like it was a complete pass. My question doesn't regard that. What I question is whether, as Smelter was cutting back to the ball, did the DB hook his arm, thus interfering with his ability to get back to the ball? This appeared to happen right in front of the official, but since I sit in the north endzone and the play was on the opposite end of the field from me, I couldn't tell for sure.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
The funny thing is that after the student section was booing the refs, I said "Well, we're not going to get any calls for the rest of the game." Little did I know how true that was...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That last one was the last straw. I about lost my mind. In the back of my mind I couldn't help but think about where the refs might park. That hold happened right in front of TWO officials. And I could see it from over 50 yds away. UNBELIEVABLE

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing is that after the student section was booing the refs, I said "Well, we're not going to get any calls for the rest of the game." Little did I know how true that was...

At one time, the students on the North End were chanting "Ref you suck" when the referee (white capped dude) was standing in the end zone right in front of them. He turned and looked at the them with a "why in the world are you chanting that" look on his face. He really looked perplexed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hate to ask this Longest, but how many times did we hold and not be called? Had to be a lot less since we don't pass as much; but I would think we did too and general incompetence seems to be what the refs specialize in. And yes, the refs seem to have a love affair with certain teams.

I would think all teams coach how to avoid penalties while being as effective as possible.

Some teams coach how to get penalties, like VT / Bud Foster, who provided DBs family info about the receivers so that they could more effectively taunt at opportune times. At least that's what was written up in our local paper here a few years back when two thug DBs from Hampton Roads were bragging about how they got the other team to commit personal fouls.

It's all part of the game, however despicable.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Anybody got some video on the crawl-for-extra-yards late in the game? My DVR cut off due to the weather delay.

Missing holding calls is something that usually goes both ways. Letting someone move the ball down field after being down is a extra level of incompetence.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The video showing the Duke defender egregiously rolling JT's ankle once out of balance right under the ref's nose is of great concern to me in addition to all the above mentioned. It was posted on another thread.

Animal02

Banned
Anybody got some video on the crawl-for-extra-yards late in the game? My DVR cut off due to the weather delay.

Missing holding calls is something that usually goes both ways. Letting someone move the ball down field after being down is a extra level of incompetence.
I re-watched it on ESPN 3. It is in the series right at the beginning of the 4th quarter.