Refs Calls in the Game

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
One reason this all seems to be a really over the top level of incompetence is that normally when refs have several close calls that go against one team they seem to almost unconsciously start making calls the other way to "even things out." I thought I read several years ago that refs are told the penalty count at half time and if it seems too one sided they try to really monitor their calls in the second half to make sure they are not giving one team an advantage over the other.

Good point; it was a relief to see, late in the fourth quarter, how the officiating crew balanced their penalty calls by tagging Duke for roughing the passer and giving us half the distance to the goal—moving the ball from the 1/2 yard line to the 1/4 yard line. Way to make up for your imbalanced calls in the first half, refs. That one foot you gave us really made up for all of the other calls and yards that went Duke's way. You guys are such pros. :rolleyes:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sorry to go off topic, but this thread makes me feel better that I'm not the only one still seething after this loss. Kinda like not wanting to drink alone.

flme.gif

dduckrage.gif

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Sorry to go off topic, but this thread makes me feel better that I'm not the only one still seething after this loss. Kinda like not wanting to drink alone.
I did a lot of things on Saturday night to try to keep my mind off of the result of the game. The mods know I was a bit... ornery after the game on Saturday. :censored: Ready to get the W at Chapel Hill now though.

As for the refs, even with those calls (good or bad), we still had our chances and we just couldn't take advantage of some of the opportunities to keep up.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I did a lot of things on Saturday night to try to keep my mind off of the result of the game. The mods know I was a bit... ornery after the game on Saturday. :censored: Ready to get the W at Chapel Hill now though.

As for the refs, even with those calls (good or bad), we still had our chances and we just couldn't take advantage of some of the opportunities to keep up.

This^. And, yes the calls were atrocious. Especially the Smelter catch and the no holding call on Freeman.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This^. And, yes the calls were atrocious. Especially the Smelter catch and the no holding call on Freeman.

The Duke QB sneak/electric slide on the ground had me doing the donald duck (see above) for a while. Watching dude scoot along the ground and be given the spot was just too much. Then the refs allowing the quickest spot/hike of the ball the next play and not even considering reviewing it was just ... donald duck.

That said, we shouldn't have been in position for all these "judgment" calls to impact the game anyways so ... terminator.

You had the right idea @John. I took the kids to the park then watched a movie with then afterwards (Disco Worm or something). Then I remembered my in-laws were coming in later that night ...... terminator.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
We lost because of multiple break downs: coming out flat, poor passing by JT, turnovers, penalties, key injuries, horrible refs, poor perimeter blocking, bad tackling, getting blown off the ball on the defensive LOS... it wasn't just one thing. All that and we still nearly pulled it off. It used to be just one misfiring part of the engine meant defeat. Now it takes many. Too much silver lining?
I don't think it is too much silver lining. Actually I think it is a pretty astute observation in that it suggests that these kids are better formed into a "team" than some past years. Maybe as a group they have more "fight" in them or something as well. We already knew of the basic parity in the conference (and beyond really, especially early in a season) but given this teams resilience in various ways I think you are on to something.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season about that. Every year we have one of these games and it's maddening. I hope we didn't come out flat, because that's the one thing that's inexcusable. It's on the coaches to make sure the kids are motivated. If they are not able to consistently do that, they're not doing their jobs well.

Also, the lack of D in PJ's entire tenure is really telling. There is only one common factor there and that's PJ.

Like I said I'll reserve judgement till the end of the year, but why we can't have some semblance of D is beyond me.
You are doing a good job of "reserving judgment" here, the effort must be a terrible strain.