Redshirts from 2014 - Biggest Impact in 2015?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
<---- This guy would love to play more but if coach wants him as backup QB, he'll be ready when his number is called.
I really like Byerly and wish CPJ would give him some playing time, even in last couple of minutes. I think there was 2 to 4 minutes in the Clemson game in mop up and for Pete's sake it is the Orange Bowl and He did not see the field which he could have the last 2 minutes. I have thought he might pick up and go to a lower level school like Vad so he could have a shot to play Sunday.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I really like Byerly and wish CPJ would give him some playing time, even in last couple of minutes. I think there was 2 to 4 minutes in the Clemson game in mop up and for Pete's sake it is the Orange Bowl and He did not see the field which he could have the last 2 minutes. I have thought he might pick up and go to a lower level school like Vad so he could have a shot to play Sunday.
Wasn't he in on the "hands team" for the onside kick? Or am I just imagining that since I know Nesbitt was on that special teams unit back in the day.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Lucky for us he is a real team guy.

Could not be any happier for this dude right here. We've been roommates all season & am not surprised at all by the success he's had just by how hard he works. Grateful for our friendship both on & off the field. Let's do it again next year SMOOOOOV!!
#MVP

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
You may want to check out Weimerskirch's level of competition as compared to MLD. One thing CPJ realized and one big reason for the success this year is that he played the best athletes no matter the experience level. He realized that Synjyn was more of a breakaway threat than Laskey against the better teams and rode him to victories in our last four games. He continued to give Laskey the ball but once Days ran for so many yards in his first starts, he gave Days the bulk of the carries even when Laskey came back from injury. So if MLD comes in in the fall and shows he can handle the position, the others enrolling early will mean little.

Nothing wrong with your point. Its a timing issue. Quaide will have 8 more months to learn the plays/blocking and practice the mesh, plus spring practice and the scrimmage. MLD will not have enough time to catch up by the first game. Too much to learn and to prove in 4 weeks. As time goes by best guy wins, whoever.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You may want to check out Weimerskirch's level of competition as compared to MLD. .

I have to confess that I do not watch film of our recruits. With that said, didn't QW play in Florida in the highest classification down there? I wouldn't suppose there to be a dropoff in competition. Can you elaborate further?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lucky for us he is a real team guy.

Could not be any happier for this dude right here. We've been roommates all season & am not surprised at all by the success he's had just by how hard he works. Grateful for our friendship both on & off the field. Let's do it again next year SMOOOOOV!!
#MVP

Amazing how many team first guys we have. Good to see we have some coming back!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the position we are in with B back. If QW learns and looks pretty capable in the spring and fall, then my guess is he will be the backup and Land-Davis will redshirt. The only thing which would mess up that scenario would be if Lands-David is so good early on hat PJ feels he must find a way to play him. t

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to confess that I do not watch film of our recruits. With that said, didn't QW play in Florida in the highest classification down there? I wouldn't suppose there to be a dropoff in competition. Can you elaborate further?

No he doesn't play in the largest classification in FL. 6A is the largest classification in GA but 8A is in FL. Also, the quality of football in the panhandle of FL is not as good as the rest of the state. If you look at the best players from the area, behind Quaide, there's a running back committed to Utah St and hard to find D-1 talent behind him.

Now if Quaide comes in and is a beast, I will be as happy as any Tech fan but for some of you guys to think he's in the driver's seat for immediate playing time is goofy with that amount of talent we have coming in a B-Back.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@JacketTrain

How is the idea that he will see immediate playing time next year goofy?

We will have three BBacks next year...Leggett, MLD and Quaide.

Quaide enrolled early and gets a big advantage by practicing in Spring...Mikell doesn't get here till the Summer.

I don't think it's a wild idea that he plays this year.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
@JacketTrain

Quaide enrolled early and gets a big advantage by practicing in Spring...Mikell doesn't get here till the Summer.

Do you think Marcus Marshall (assuming we get him) or Kirvonte Benson could also see time at B-back next year? Are there any guys we could shift over (Byerly, Marcus Allen)?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No he doesn't play in the largest classification in FL. 6A is the largest classification in GA but 8A is in FL. Also, the quality of football in the panhandle of FL is not as good as the rest of the state. If you look at the best players from the area, behind Quaide, there's a running back committed to Utah St and hard to find D-1 talent behind him.

Now if Quaide comes in and is a beast, I will be as happy as any Tech fan but for some of you guys to think he's in the driver's seat for immediate playing time is goofy with that amount of talent we have coming in a B-Back.
We have one Bback coming back and he hasn't taken a single live game snap, what are you talking about? I guess we could move Snoddy back, but he'll be lucky to be healthy enough to participate in spring plus he's counted on at Aback, another super thin spot.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
As I watched that OB game again, I was struck on how our Backs are used in so many ways.Unfortunately ,you don't get those skills in one or really 2 yrs.Having SR backs (and WRs) was so important .Just think how SDays fumbled early in his career.How Bostic couldn't block worth crap.How Zenon was lost down the depth chart.

The bback position has we worried.Simply not fumbling the mesh,is going to be an accomplishment, much less then running the right hole and then gaining yds.New guys make mistakes no matter how good--see Chubb.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Based on what we know right now, I think many are too optimistic about the b-back position. We are currently a single "groin pull" from starting a true freshman. The freshman may be talented runners, but this position starts the option and having a great mesh, rare fumbles, good blocking, few mental errors and much more are vital to success. Remember the complaints about Laskey's blocking last year causing protection problems? Laskey and Days Became a great duo.

My hopes are high but my expectation is this position is the most likely to see a measurable drop off and I really want to be proven totally wrong.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Based on what we know right now, I think many are too optimistic about the b-back position. We are currently a single "groin pull" from starting a true freshman. The freshman may be talented runners, but this position starts the option and having a great mesh, rare fumbles, good blocking, few mental errors and much more are vital to success. Remember the complaints about Laskey's blocking last year causing protection problems? Laskey and Days Became a great duo.

My hopes are high but my expectation is this position is the most likely to see a measurable drop off and I really want to be proven totally wrong.
We are thin, as you say, but we could move Snoddy back in a pinch.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
This thread brings back the ole Georgia Tech fan inexplicable desire to move a player from one position to another for shiites and giggles. Anyone in the two deep is moving, least of all Byerly our backup QB.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
We are thin, as you say, but we could move Snoddy back in a pinch.

Agree, but that has its own cost as well. We could possibly move someone like M Allen over also, but my points are that based on current depth predictions, we are unproven, and untested, and that the b-back position seems more likely for a 2015 drop -off than others. Putting it another way, despite all the "Laskey and Days don't have the homerun capability of Dwyer arguments", I would grade the b-back play this year as an A. If we do just as well in 2015, I will be very pleasantly surprised.

Conversely, there are, I believe, more reasons to believe other areas (d-line, o-line, QB, etc) where there is a decent argument we will see improvement or relative stasis.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
@JacketTrain

We have one Bback coming back and he hasn't taken a single live game snap, what are you talking about? I guess we could move Snoddy back, but he'll be lucky to be healthy enough to participate in spring plus he's counted on at Aback, another super thin spot.

Some of you guys are so quick to take up for the players that you support that reading comprehension is lost. I never said he wouldn't see playing time. I said that assuming that he would be in the "driver's seat" for immediate playing time is goofy. CJ Leggett will almost certainly be the starter and if MLD is as talented as advertised, Quaide may not see the field even with early enrollment. There's a reason the ULL was his biggest offer and MLD's decided on Tech over Clemson. Now again, if Quaide is a beast, I will be just as happy as you guys. I just don't think he comes in and is better than MLD (and definitely not better than Snoddy).

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lands-Davis has some pretty impressive HS film. That is all I'm going to say. It may be the best I can recollect in several classes at the RB position. We'll see how he does when he gets here, but the kid feasted at the HS level. I understand everybody's trepidation over breaking in new guys at BB. I share it and think all our guys, new or otherwise, have the ability, but until they actually do it, you never really know. It is cause for concern, for sure, but I think it has a pretty good chance of working out really well too. We will just have to see.

IMHO, I think Lands-Davis and Leggett both have a higher upside than Laskey. However, whether they have the heart, work ethic, and sheer determination that Laskey did remains to be seen. I can't wait to find out.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@JacketTrain

We're still playing the offers card with all of the success we've had on offense?

What was Laskeys other biggest offer?

How about Days? He chose us over Okie St who wanted him at LB.

MLD also didn't have a committable offer from Clemson.

Snoddy is at A Back and won't be moving over...

Fwiw I talked to one of our coaches recently and they think Quaide has a real shot at starting this year.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
If Quaide is seen as possibly better than Leggett, who has received positive reviews, that is indeed good news. I still think the lack of experience will cause some drop off from this year, but hopefully I will be eating those words next season.