Recruiting issue raised by a past Auburn football athelete

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look, believe what you want... a recruit said this and perhaps he is the only one.

I have no data other than my visit there and I think Miami has its own draw over Atlanta.

A GT player said athletes used to feel like a king around town, but the feeling has declined... of course this is only one data point, but is of far more worth than a simple believe statement.

Also this is only one issue and not all the issue. All you have to do is listen to what Dodd said about recruiting and now multiply the issue by 10.

falconholic26

Banned
Then if that what is tech fans believe then why all the haters that was always on CPJ recruiting. If that what every body believes then we just should be thankful that we even have a football team two cheer for in the fall.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Look, believe what you want... a recruit said this and perhaps he is the only one.

I have no data other than my visit there and I think Miami has its own draw over Atlanta.

A GT player said athletes used to feel like a king around town, but the feeling has declined... of course this is only one data point, but is of far more worth than a simple believe statement.

Also this is only one issue and not all the issue. All you have to do is listen to what Dodd said about recruiting and now multiply the issue by 10.

I don’t understand this. UGA does this really well. Auburn does this really well. Is it that hard to rent a few busses and fete players at a restaurant in town or say, Avalon?

I live in Warner Robins and know many tech fans and know there are a lot of tech fans that live here because I see car decals on cars every day in town but when I went two academy sports the other day they wasn’t a single tech thing there to buy. You know why it’s not where not here it’s because we don’t but enough apparel two justify two selling it and it’s breaks my heart and it’s a shame it truly is. I’m afraid if Ga State ever gets in a power 5 conference that going to be the end of Ga Tech. But we the fans and alumni are two blame not the coaches or the players. Please don’t let that happen!!!!!!!!!!!

I live 1200 miles away and get 4 season tickets. And do I own a lot of Tech Apparel
jerseys.jpg

Animal02

Banned
I took that 3 years ago so my collection is even bigger. Add to it sweatshirts, polos, T-shirts and about 60 hats. Flags, books, posters....
I don't do hats. ;)
I am not a T Shirt type.
Polos I can get away with going to job sites and still look dressy enough when flying......and there are all those dawg fan flight attendants that are Delta Atlanta based.

falconholic26

Banned
Can we ever phase out Auburn and South Carolina and even Tennessee for our in state recruits. We will never get the ones that UGA Clemson Alabama wants but if we ever become the 4th choice in state for recruits I think we will get back we’re we need to be talent wise. I know other schools get ga recruits but not as much as them three border programs.

Milwaukee

Banned
Atlanta’s a negative for some people & that’s not even debatable. Co-worker of mine’s daughter was an elite athlete being recruited by GT and she was smart as well (1500 SATs, Top 10 in her class, took all honors courses in HS, etc). GT recruited her relentlessly, but her & parents could not stand Atlanta “with all that” despite the academics they valued greatly. There was a high 4* as currently defined by the recruitniks that was looking at GT. He lived down the street from one of my Managers. They loved the staff and really liked the academics, but they went to the Varsity (non-official visit) & that was that.

Maybe the kids like the Atlanta scene but I’d guess more parents than not would not be real enthused about the location of our campus. Thank God it has gotten better because roll it back 30 years and it was pretty rough a block or so off campus.

Cool story.

Peace Up...A-Town Down, ladies. #atl

Animal02

Banned
Atlanta’s a negative for some people & that’s not even debatable. Co-worker of mine’s daughter was an elite athlete being recruited by GT and she was smart as well (1500 SATs, Top 10 in her class, took all honors courses in HS, etc). GT recruited her relentlessly, but her & parents could not stand Atlanta “with all that” despite the academics they valued greatly. There was a high 4* as currently defined by the recruitniks that was looking at GT. He lived down the street from one of my Managers. They loved the staff and really liked the academics, but they went to the Varsity (non-official visit) & that was that.

Maybe the kids like the Atlanta scene but I’d guess more parents than not would not be real enthused about the location of our campus. Thank God it has gotten better because roll it back 30 years and it was pretty rough a block or so off campus.
I grew in rural Pa. and could not wait to escaped. Yeh....it was rough around Tech 35-40 years ago....a block south and west were really bad, midtown was sketchy, and even home park was so so. O'Keefe was still the middle school for the Techwood projects as well.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I understand, my granddaughter is a frosh at Ga State now and i feel uneasy about it. Especially when the time change takes effect.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I understand, my granddaughter is a frosh at Ga State now and i feel uneasy about it. Especially when the time change takes effect.

That's why I chose not to go to Tech (many many moons ago). I was a Tech fan my whole life and had a full tuition scholarship offer, but when I visited I was told that if you ever left for the week-end you had to take all your things with you from your dorm because they would be stolen if you left them. I decided right then that I would be attending somewhere else...
I am really happy that things are so much better now. Honestly, the Olympics were the best thing to happen to Tech because it got rid of the housing projects right off campus...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Kid’s in school right now so I won’t share the name now. He’s playing defense for a Top 25 team now in a position we badly need. May not have gone to GT, but we were definitely in the running as he was down to GT and 2 other factories. If you follow recruiting, a bit of sleuthing would probably narrow it down to 2-3 if that if it really matters to you. Fact is the kid is not here and will never attend GT. We are who we are. Atlanta’s a selling point to some, a non-factor with others & some a negative. You gotta play the hand your dealt.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Kid’s in school right now so I won’t share the name now. He’s playing defense for a Top 25 team now in a position we badly need. May not have gone to GT, but we were definitely in the running as he was down to GT and 2 other factories. If you follow recruiting, a bit of sleuthing would probably narrow it down to 2-3 if that if it really matters to you. Fact is the kid is not here and will never attend GT. We are who we are. Atlanta’s a selling point to some, a non-factor with others & some a negative. You gotta play the hand your dealt.

Wonder if it’s Mike Barrett? If it is, that’s not the reason why MB1 didn’t choose Tech.