Recruiting issue raised by a past Auburn football athelete

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I work with a past Auburn football athelete who was recruiting by GT. He had an intresting recruiting perspective to add.

He started off by saying the GT college campus is in Atlanta. I interupted and said, "wait a minute, the slums are gone and hookers no longer walk the streets next to Tech. Infact our campus has really transformed over the last 15 years". He said, wait listen to me. GT is not in a small football town. When you go out, you are not the big man on campus. You don't go to bars where people buy you drinks and practicly worship you. He said GT was missing the star vibe you get at a small town college. I never thought about that aspect. Bright lights in Atlanta, but what you want to be is a bright star in a dark sky?

He also said that I was being too harsh in my acusation that other schools are quick to gray, blue, and DQ kids. That most honor thier scholorships and few are run off. I have no personal data, but I can't figure how the factoies get thier recruiting numbers above 25 every year.

I thought this was intresting infomration I have not heard before and how the big ATL may be a negative over a positive. Not every kid wants to be a star, but I bet most like the attention.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I work with a past Auburn football athelete who was recruiting by GT. He had an intresting recruiting perspective to add.

He started off by saying the GT college campus is in Atlanta. I interupted and said, "wait a minute, the slums are gone and hookers no longer walk the streets next to Tech. Infact our campus has really transformed over the last 15 years". He said, wait listen to me. GT is not in a small football town. When you go out, you are not the big man on campus. You don't go to bars where people buy you drinks and practicly worship you. He said GT was missing the star vibe you get at a small town college. I never thought about that aspect. Bright lights in Atlanta, but what you want to be is a bright star in a dark sky?

He also said that I was being too harsh in my acusation that other schools are quick to gray, blue, and DQ kids. That most honor thier scholorships and few are run off. I have no personal data, but I can't figure how the factoies get thier recruiting numbers above 25 every year.

I thought this was intresting infomration I have not heard before and how the big ATL may be a negative over a positive. Not every kid wants to be a star, but I bet most like the attention.

Definitely part of it. But there’s a lot more competition that offers that. GT has something unique.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Town-wise, you're a big fish in a small pond at Auburn or Tuscaloosa.

But football-wise, you've a much better chance to be BMOC starring at Tech and getting all the kudos that come from standing out and maybe turning things around here than just being a replaceable cog on a team that will probably be top-10 with or without you at Auburn or Tuscaloosa. So, seems to me it can work both ways.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

He's not wrong. I've always noted these cow-town SEC schools benefit from this big-fish/small-pond vibe these kids are treated with.

It's not for everyone though, fortunately.

Maybe you should ask him how he and his teammates felt about *ahem* recycling. You don't have that problem in a real city.

Hehe ... what, too far?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this is definitely not new info for those who follow recruiting. There are definitely kids who prefer the small, college town vibe. That said, Atlanta can still be a big selling point for certain kids, as well, which is why it makes sense to emphasize it.

Not surprised to hear of the relative lack of "processing" and other shadiness out there. I have always figured if that many kids were being wronged by coaches, we would hear from a lot more of them after they graduated. Seems the vast majority of SA's speak positively about their experience.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Can't buy that, maybe 15 years ago. Most major college campus' use to be in small towns, but as time has gone by, those towns are getting larger. Look at Knoxville, Athens, Columbus Ohio, Austin Tx, and even Tuscaloosa is getting to be a large city. I have wondered if it would be better for Tech football if a new stadium should be built north of Atlanta.

Animal02

Banned
I have always believed that being in downtown ATL was more of a negative (especially to prospective recruits" parents) than a positive. I am hoping CGC Swag can change that in the minds of parents and players.
I made that point months ago, and was told my the imbibers (since Cuse doesn't like the other term) that I did not know what I was talking about.....especially since Atlanta was the center of hip hop or something, tso there for it was a recruiting magnet and everyone would want to go there. :rolleyes:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I made that point months ago, and was told my the imbibers (since Cuse doesn't like the other term) that I did not know what I was talking about.....especially since Atlanta was the center of hip hop or something, tso there for it was a recruiting magnet and everyone would want to go there. :rolleyes:

Be honest though, that probably wasn't all you said that drew objection(s).

On the city stuff, it'll always be a pro for some and a con for others. No coach can change that. We can only explain what it offers and try to work through folks' objections. I can't tell you how many folks have incorrect assumptions about the "big city" that have nothing to do with GT at all.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Collins is doing EXACTLY the right things with his messaging regarding our location in Atlanta. Alot of kids will dig it, some will not. We are in midtown Atlanta, so we would be CRAZY not to do our very best to accentuate the positives of that--because there are plenty of kids who will be completely into that. Nothing we can do about a kid who just doesn't want to be in the city or wants to be BMOC at a rural school.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Town-wise, you're a big fish in a small pond at Auburn or Tuscaloosa.

But football-wise, you've a much better chance to be BMOC starring at Tech and getting all the kudos that come from standing out and maybe turning things around here than just being a replaceable cog on a team that will probably be top-10 with or without you at Auburn or Tuscaloosa. So, seems to me it can work both ways.

I think this is what triggers many people, myself included. A better term may be transition.

Animal02

Banned
Be honest though, that probably wasn't all you said that drew objection(s).

On the city stuff, it'll always be a pro for some and a con for others. No coach can change that. We can only explain what it offers and try to work through folks' objections. I can't tell you how many folks have incorrect assumptions about the "big city" that have nothing to do with GT at all.
It wouldn't matter what I said to the imbibers......They accept anything CGC said as gospel.

That vast majority of big football schools are NOT in big cities. That should tell you something.

Animal02

Banned
Can't buy that, maybe 15 years ago. Most major college campus' use to be in small towns, but as time has gone by, those towns are getting larger. Look at Knoxville, Athens, Columbus Ohio, Austin Tx, and even Tuscaloosa is getting to be a large city. I have wondered if it would be better for Tech football if a new stadium should be built north of Atlanta.
They are still small towns. Ohio State is and exception because there is really no other major university in the state, and they have feeder campuses all across the state.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

So recruit the suburbs of tampa, jacksomville, miami, houston, dallas and a bunch of mid size cities. Also dominate in Recruitingc Effort in Atl.

I think cgc is fantastic at sell the ATL.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck

Baton Rouge is not a small town, either.

If everybody thought like @Longestday ’s coworker, Ole Miss should have their pick of whoever they want.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So you pick your positives and capitalize on them. Get rid of elitist tudes. Beat good teams / big teams outside the ACC.

Improve on your negatives. But EVERY h.s. hotshot thinks they will be the same in college - they won't. And it doesnt matter if you are in ATL, starkville, austin, lincoln.

Sell them, if this is an issue, that if they truly are good enough for the NFL, that they ONLY time they will play in an Auburn size city is MAYBE training camp.

Where are NFL franchises located?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I don't think of the small town / big city thing as a recruiting issue.
Small towns benifit as a whole from the additional fans in town each weekend vs say a big city
But I think recruits look more at NFL prospect vs education and then maybe the atmosphere

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Baton Rouge is not a small town, either.

If everybody thought like @Longestday ’s coworker, Ole Miss should have their pick of whoever they want.
Uhh, Baton Rouge is DEFINITELY a small town. Especially by ATL standards. All that is there is the state government and LSU. And LSU players are worshipped there. Football players in general. I just received the weekly mailer form a real estate agent down there, and it had this on it:
5f3cea0d-ff9e-4a67-926d-7c8ed9050208.jpg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Talk about a campus go to Stanford. Year round -Temperature perfect. Humidity perfect. Grass manicured. Flowers everywhere.

But seems phony.