Recruiting issue raised by a past Auburn football athelete

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Heck, outside of us, USC and UCLA, what other big-city teams have P5 football at all?

BC, I guess Northwestern?
Nothing in NYC.

Miami, TCU, Texas, Washington, Pittsburgh, NC State, Arizona State, Utah... Maybe missing some.

Some people in this thread have the wrong perspective though... Besides it’s public status, GT has a lot more in common with Rice and Carnegie Mellon than it does with Auburn or UGA.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami, TCU, Texas, Washington, Pittsburgh, NC State, Arizona State, Utah... Maybe missing some.

Some people in this thread have the wrong perspective though... Besides it’s public status, GT has a lot more in common with Rice and Carnegie Mellon than it does with Auburn or UGA.

Miami's definitely one I forgot. I don't put Pittsburgh, Raleigh, or Salt Lake City in the same category as Atlanta though. Maybe Seattle.

and good lord, if people think there's not much to do in Atlanta these days, just spend a weekend in SLC! You'll catch up on your sleep and your Mormon history and that's about it lol. Yet U of U has a nice program going out there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The average high temperature (monthly) never gets above 79. The average low (monthly) gets down to 38 in December.

In Atlanta, the average high is above 80 from May to September. The average low is below 38 from December to February.

That isn't to say that there aren't hot days or cold days in Palo Alto, but the temperature is much milder there than here.

Guess I was thinking of Sacramento.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I guess the Miami and USC dynasties aren’t enough to prove it but Tech alone has won 4 national titles lmao. Winning in big cities, It can and will be done. It only takes one right hire, and no one knows if we’ve made it yet.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest reason that big city schools don’t dominate college football is simply because they aren’t the flagship university in the state. Most big time P5 schools are land grant universities, and probably have the deepest ties to the state and the people in the state. There hasn’t been a single city school relevant nationally since the Pete Carroll USC days. Maybe Washington recently, but nothing like what USC, Miami, and Texas have done in the past.

Speaking of Texas, although Austin is a massive city, UT is still the state’s flagship university and was probably a land grant school during its establishment. Same way with Ohio State and Columbus. Just the way cities developed overtime, college athletics kind of became irrelevant, and fans in the area became more interested in pro sports. Vandy baseball is really the only city team in any of the Big 3 sports that’s consistently competing on the national level. Maybe UCLA basketball in the past, but not recently.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the biggest reason that big city schools don’t dominate college football is simply because they aren’t the flagship university in the state. Most big time P5 schools are land grant universities, and probably have the deepest ties to the state and the people in the state. There hasn’t been a single city school relevant nationally since the Pete Carroll USC days. Maybe Washington recently, but nothing like what USC, Miami, and Texas have done in the past.

Speaking of Texas, although Austin is a massive city, UT is still the state’s flagship university and was probably a land grant school during its establishment. Same way with Ohio State and Columbus. Just the way cities developed overtime, college athletics kind of became irrelevant, and fans in the area became more interested in pro sports. Vandy baseball is really the only city team in any of the Big 3 sports that’s consistently competing on the national level. Maybe UCLA basketball in the past, but not recently.

Spoken like someone who has never had the (dis)pleasure of living amongst Texas Aggies.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I guess the Miami and USC dynasties aren’t enough to prove it but Tech alone has won 4 national titles lmao. Winning in big cities, It can and will be done. It only takes one right hire, and no one knows if we’ve made it yet.
Of course it's 2019 & 3 of those titles were won b4 what 1960? The other one 1990, almost 30 yrs ago. Unlikely tech will win another FB natty. Way more likely to win a title in basketball, baseball, or golf. Have you seen what bama & Clemson spend, not to mention ugag? Tech doesn't have the $ to compete for a natty in FB

Last edited:

falconholic26

Banned
I have always herd that one and six tech graduates are millionaires? I guess that is completely false because if they were then tech should be rolling with money. Instead tech alumni rather not show up two games and donate no money to the program but still feel they have the right two complain about why their school is not relevant in sports on a national level. Geoff Collins is right with all that comes with tech they should be a power house in all the sports but they will never because of the Alumni. I’m a tech fan for life and will die a tech fan but I’m sure glad I’m not an alumni of the school Bc we have the worst alumni of any school in America

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have always herd that one and six tech graduates are millionaires? I guess that is completely false because if they were then tech should be rolling with money. Instead tech alumni rather not show up two games and donate no money to the program but still feel they have the right two complain about why their school is not relevant in sports on a national level. Geoff Collins is right with all that comes with tech they should be a power house in all the sports but they will never because of the Alumni. I’m a tech fan for life and will die a tech fan but I’m sure glad I’m not an alumni of the school Bc we have the worst alumni of any school in America

The school has tons of cash. The athletic department not so much.

I don't remember hearing CGC say that GT "will never because of the Alumni". When did he say that?

falconholic26

Banned
Then why don’t the athletic department got no money if tech got all the so called millionaires? Where does Alabama Clemson UGA Texas A&M get their money from? They get it by filling up the Stadium in the fall and by there alumni. We can’t half fill our 55k stadium and our so called millionaires want come off there wallet and yes they are many that are sports fans but they rather stay home and complain on forums like this. CGC has said over and that he knows what tech should be but the alumni will never give the opportunity Bc of the alumni and fans. I am hoping and praying when I’m there at the North Carolina game that it’s sold out and the only nc fans is there is there allotment but I’m pretty sure I’m just living in fantasy land

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He's not wrong. I've always noted these cow-town SEC schools benefit from this big-fish/small-pond vibe these kids are treated with.

It's not for everyone though, fortunately.

Maybe you should ask him how he and his teammates felt about *ahem* recycling. You don't have that problem in a real city.

Hehe ... what, too far?
That's probably why Southern California, Texas, Miami, etc., can't recruit great players.

falconholic26

Banned
They all won national titles in the last 15 years. I’m going to continue to go two games and donate even though I’m not an alumni too the school because I’m a true fan. I just wish the tech fan base cares as much as I do. It’s simple sellout games when two thirds aren’t the opposing team and and the alumni start donating big time money two program. If that starts to happen then the recruits will come and we will be relevant again but it starts with sellouts and money. So Tech alumni and fans What do you want? I guess we will find out what we’re made out of from this time forward. Win or lose it shouldn’t matter just show up and donate and cheer for the Jackets!!! Starting next home game and from them on Start the streak of sellouts that will go on for a long time regardless of wins or loses.