recruiting classes and off topic posts

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The problem with the permanent cross over is teams tend to be streaky...so you are stuck with a really good or possibly real bad match up for extended periods. Would rather see us play the other teams more often .
It would be nice to play some of the other teams in the ACC but you don't see other Coastal Division teams chomping at the bit to get at Clemson do you? Playing UGA and Clemson every year kind of makes me appreciate the odds when Christians faced the lions in the Rome. It wasn't even a neutral site.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
:rolleyes:. Once again you miss by a mile. It has nothing to do with aspirations, it has everything to do with posters drunk on hype with no facts or proof to back it up.
Like the predictions of competing for multiple NCs in a few years. And acting like the new hire magically makes all the structural issues at Tech go away. If anything, what is happening with BB should clue a few people in to the tough row that needs to be home.

I wish it were not so but a case can be made that the "structural issues" at Tech are very real and may present significant roadblocks to Coach Collins. However, this is not something he is unfamiliar with and he knew just what he was getting into. Coach Collins wanted this job with all of its problems: The Hill, the money, the curriculum, the girls or supposed lack thereof, the various stigmas from years of continuous recruiting shenanigans going all the way back to leaving Calculus books at the home of recruits. A cynic would say that he really wanted to get out of Philadelphia in the worst way but I don't think for a moment that had anything to do with it. He wanted to come to Georgia, his wife wanted to come to Georgia, his mother in law wanted his family here and he sees potential and opportunity where wise guys like me see only problems. We will see but I would not count that man out he and his staff will prove to be most relentless recruiters the Institute has ever seen. He will be like Ron Zook was at Florida on steroids.

Animal02

Banned
I wish it were not so but a case can be made that the "structural issues" at Tech are very real and may present significant roadblocks to Coach Collins. However, this is not something he is unfamiliar with and he knew just what he was getting into. Coach Collins wanted this job with all of its problems: The Hill, the money, the curriculum, the girls or supposed lack thereof, the various stigmas from years of continuous recruiting shenanigans going all the way back to leaving Calculus books at the home of recruits. A cynic would say that he really wanted to get out of Philadelphia in the worst way but I don't think for a moment that had anything to do with it. He wanted to come to Georgia, his wife wanted to come to Georgia, his mother in law wanted his family here and he sees potential and opportunity where wise guys like me see only problems. We will see but I would not count that man out he and his staff will prove to be most relentless recruiters the Institute has ever seen. He will be like Ron Zook was at Florida on steroids.
Don't have an argument with anything you said. I just don't anticipate that Tech will all of a sudden become a perennial top 20 team (very few teams are) I expect that we may see a slight up tick, but in the end, return to the historical average.....an occasional great year, an occasional really bad year, and mostly being a little about e .500.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't have an argument with anything you said. I just don't anticipate that Tech will all of a sudden become a perennial top 20 team (very few teams are) I expect that we may see a slight up tick, but in the end, return to the historical average.....an occasional great year, an occasional really bad year, and mostly being a little about e .500.

I'll take a slight uptick over the historical avg. I think that's possible.

Heck, only a few programs are historically much over 7-5/8-4 anyway.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Yep. You are correct. Our expectations need to be tempered somewhat by expecting the historical norms of the past 50 years while hoping for a significant uptick in recruiting to pay dividends sometime in the near future. I believe such a goal is doable as others have noted that while we have the unfortunate task of playing UGA and Clemson at a time when both are near unprecedented heights this is offset to a degree by being a part of the ongoing "Coastal Chaos" which is akin to Lake Wobegone's mythical children as all being above average (while no one is labeled mediocre or heaven forbid below average) . Everyone has a chance to take their turn being cannon fodder for mighty Clemson in the ACC championship game. The difference between the Coastal division champion and the last place team is getting to the point where it is so small as to be near meaningless. IMHO

Milwaukee

Banned
Our expectations need to be tempered somewhat by expecting the historical norms of the past 50 years

I don't get this thinking and never will, I'm not wired like that. What do you do or say when your boss or your wife asks you to try to make things better?

"Well boss, this company has always been like this so why shoot for these large increases in sales? We are what we are, boss. History says so."

"Honey, I can't be a better husband I mean hell, we've always just had this kind of marriage."

What company in the world has ever raised their levels with that sort of thinking?

I'm using extreme examples but the defeatist mentality is the same. I can't get myself to think like this.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't get this thinking and never will, I'm not wired like that. What do you do or say when your boss or your wife asks you to try to make things better?

"Well boss, this company has always been like this so why shoot for these large increases in sales? We are what we are, boss. History says so."

"Honey, I can't be a better husband I mean hell, we've always just had this kind of marriage."

What company in the world has ever raised their levels with that sort of thinking?

I'm using extreme examples but the defeatist mentality is the same. I can't get myself to think like this.

Yeah, if I thought like this, I don't think I could be a fan. Just not much fun.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow

Preach it, brother!!! A great post on both football & life!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Folks that have been in business know the drill. House pledged to bank, find talented engineers, find clients , complete projects, get recommendations , bonus top engineers, pay off bank. Repeat. It's all about making work rewarding for clients and staff and getting them to help grow the company.

Yea - cgc is a bit hyper for us engineer types. But then we are in top 10 % in debt and bottom 25% in revenue. Cant afford to hire top coaches due to low donations and attendance and high debt payments.

Being real our best case is in 2-3 years to see a break out of the middle of the acc coastal to clearly at the top. Then recruiting will dramatically improve - then we have a chance to be very fun to watch. Oh please a 5* QB and 2 4* s wrs!

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

When my wife says to "make things better" historical norms go out the window as I am saying how high on the way up. That said, hope does spring eternal...until the reality of September. We will see how hopeful and optimistic the fan base is during the 2020 season which promises to be the most challenging in quite some time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That said, hope does spring eternal...until the reality of September. We will see how hopeful and optimistic the fan base is during the 2020 season which promises to be the most challenging in quite some time.

whew, slow down hoss!!! I don't have time to start worrying about 2020 yet. heck, based on past history,I don't even start to fret over this year until a week or so past the 4th of July. what years of experience has taught me is that what I think/don't think has little to no impact on what the team does/does not do. Of course, when CCG was here I got pretty damn good at my prognosticating. as did everyone else. But CPJ sure threw a monkey wrench into that!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
whew, slow down hoss!!! I don't have time to start worrying about 2020 yet. heck, based on past history,I don't even start to fret over this year until a week or so past the 4th of July. what years of experience has taught me is that what I think/don't think has little to no impact on what the team does/does not do. Of course, when CCG was here I got pretty damn good at my prognosticating. as did everyone else. But CPJ sure threw a monkey wrench into that!

We will see. All the luck in the world to Coach Collins and his staff...they may need it.

Animal02

Banned

So you walk into the Porsche dealership with 2k and a 10k line of credit and expect to walk out with a Carrera.....most people know to temper their expectations.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Really. Let's worry about 2019.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So you walk into the Porsche dealership with 2k and a 10k line of credit and expect to walk out with a Carrera.....most people know to temper their expectations.

Since you are the reasonable one, I think you should present your plan to pay off the 220,000,000?
Unless we get the donations and or ticket sales (revenue) up its a pretty sure thing the bond holders will eventually bump the interest rate and demand we start paying down the principal. Our yearly interest only 12,000,000 payment will go up at 3,000,000 interest and say 5,000,000 for principal pay down.

Imo, The alternate to a major improvement is not continued - it is what it is .

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I think the problem a lot of people here have is that this analogy is off.

It isn't: "Well boss, this company has always been like this so why shoot for these large increases in sales? We are what we are, boss. History says so."

It's "Comrades! Don't tell us at GOSPLAN what the limits on our engineering expertise or our present resource production are! Bolsheviks can storm any fortress!"

This kind of thinking got a great country into a lot of trouble. It isn't that we shouldn't be optimistic. It's that we have to be ready for a long haul while we build - wait for it - the infrastructure we need to recruit up to Tech's potential. And we need to remember that that potential is not unlimited. If we stick to that and stay reasonably patient, I don't doubt that we'll have success under Coach. If not, we'll toss him because he can't fulfill our overheated expectations.