recruiting classes and off topic posts

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know what else I can tell you, my friend, other than the better the player, the less the chance they'll want to play in the 3O. (and I still think that's a fact).

In fact (no pun intended, couldn't resist, lol), I didn't even think that was debatable.

Right now is just fun to speculate and watch it unfold, especially when we're not the ones that have to try to make it happen.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, you will always lose credibility with a subset of educated readers when you follow an opinion with the expression, "That's just a fact." Rightly or wrongly, it's like making grammar or spelling errors in a job application. That's a fact (I can say that because it's true for me, and that means there's a subset of at least one person).

A fact would be that our recruiting did not decline under Johnson from most years under Gailey. The current line is that the one outlier year of great recruiting for Gailey stemmed from CGC's role as Director of Player Personnel. So, I conclude that improvement in recruiting now would more likely be attributable to the changes made by CGC off the field rather than the changes in offense.

Fwiw, I'm inclined to share your optimism about CGC and recruiting. My only hesitancy comes from our experience over the last few years with the basketball team.

Its also a fact that players drafted under cpj declined from both under gailey and gol, as did all acc selections. And if you use that as one measure of recruiting not just half bogus ratings out of high school you can clearly make the argument recruiting did decline.

In 2006 before collins ever impacted tech, that may have been the most talented team we had since 90 or maybe 98. So I conclude while pre 07 the rankings werent great we found a way to recruit great. That 2006 team had like 10 nfl players on it or so. Also recall that was before the recruiting services handed out stars like they do now. Its not apples to apples during gailey rankings and post gailey. I am no fan of chan. But imo he did recruit better based on the total body of player quality.

The picture looks even worse if you decide to strip the 07 class from cpj numbers and credit them to gailey.

But what is not deniable is cgc helped put together three nice classes at tech. Folks forget about the ones in the late 90s that were good too. Top 25 in 1998 or 1999.

And yes the change in offense will help. Its one reason why he is pushing so heavy pro style and development for the nfl messaging. He knows the stigma he has to change. Its real and its there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Its also a fact that players drafted under cpj declined from both under gailey and gol, as did all acc selections. And if you use that as one measure of recruiting not just half bogus ratings out of high school you can clearly make the argument recruiting did decline.

In 2006 before collins ever impacted tech, that may have been the most talented team we had since 90 or maybe 98. So I conclude while pre 07 the rankings werent great we found a way to recruit great. That 2006 team had like 10 nfl players on it or so. Also recall that was before the recruiting services handed out stars like they do now. Its not apples to apples during gailey rankings and post gailey. I am no fan of chan. But imo he did recruit better based on the total body of player quality.

The picture looks even worse if you decide to strip the 07 class from cpj numbers and credit them to gailey.

But what is not deniable is cgc helped put together three nice classes at tech. Folks forget about the ones in the late 90s that were good too. Top 25 in 1998 or 1999.

And yes the change in offense will help. Its one reason why he is pushing so heavy pro style and development for the nfl messaging. He knows the stigma he has to change. Its real and its there.

Looking at NFL only looks at the top of the classes not the whole class. It's apples and oranges.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at NFL only looks at the top of the classes not the whole class. It's apples and oranges.

Dont really agree. All acc is more of the pie too. Nfl year after year means depth as well. Guys on the bench. Thats not just top players one year. But again. Thats my view. We never came close to a roster like 2006. If half a starting roster is nfl and some of those were 2 and 3 star thats good recruiting. Not just top of the class.

Paul struggled in all of that. Imo it wasnt his strength. Just like gameday coaching was his strength. No one is perfect

Lets hope collins can mesh good coaching with better recruiting

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Dont really agree. All acc is more of the pie too. Nfl year after year means depth as well. Guys on the bench. Thats not just top players one year. But again. Thats my view. We never came close to a roster like 2006. If half a starting roster is nfl and some of those were 2 and 3 star thats good recruiting. Not just top of the class.

Paul struggled in all of that. Imo it wasnt his strength. Just like gameday coaching was his strength. No one is perfect

Lets hope collins can mesh good coaching with better recruiting

No worries, but just to be clear: a recruiting class is ~20 while a draft class is ~5.

Whether you get 5 or 10 year after year, it says nothing about the quality of the other 10-15.

NFL draft may be a better measure, but it may also reflect development and not just recruiting.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I fully expect an uptick in recruiting and I’m pleased with efforts so far, but I prefer natural (real) sugar in my coolaid as opposed to the artificial sweetener floating in this thread.

The 4star rb is a good get but that’s not a major need to be honest. If we fail to land some 4star DL’s in this class it will be a major disappointment.

I”m kind of on the same page, i”m expecting an uptick this year- higher rated 3 stars with solid offer sheets, plus 2 or more 4’s would be a big win for me. The next season is when i really hope to see our recruiting catch fire. To expect multiple 4 star recruits on the DL in year one is just unrealistic, thats the rarest and most sought after recruit in all of fb and i”m not sure we will ever see that honestly. If we could land one 4 star DL recruit per year that would be pretty impresive imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Gailey had just as many 2 stars as 4 stars so his classes averaged out. A lot IP Harrises on those teams.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL the thread-purity police working overtime.

Du wirst die Discussion rein halten. Wir koennen keine Detouren haben.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Except I'm judging our success by a recruit's other offers rather than * rating.

Also, I'm not sure I know what CGC has "promised"?

But here's why I think we're all but GUARANTEED to recruit better:

1- Our recruiting will ABSOLUTELY improve if for no other reason than we're no longer running the 3O. (As I've said before, even CPJ would recruit better without the 3O). That's just a fact.

2- All indications are that more resources are being allocated to enable us to cast a wider recruiting net.

3- CGC and Staff. I think the 'Collins Factor' is real. TStan probably couldn't have made a better choice for this particular time in the history of our program.

And how do we know if it's working?

Imo, we should expect to at least be second only to Mia in Coastal Div roster talent within 3 more recruiting classes.

I think CGC can deliver that.
You do know that the 30 doesn't equal Triple Option?

It's a personnel package. It just means a line up without a TE per se.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.

And a good initial barometer that we're moving in the right direction is how we're doing against the rest of the ACC.

I think we can move from the bottom 1/4 to the top 1/4 in very short order.

I think CGC can put us in a position where we have a talent advantage over all our Coastal foes (except Mia) VERY quickly.
If we can do as well as VT has in the last two years - 7 4 star athletes both years - I'll be both satisfied and, frankly, surprised. We've done that well in one recent year, 2007. Provided we don't fall flat on our face in terms of wins, I think we can easily get to where we are doing better then Duke and Pitt. VT and da U are a different story.

But hope springs eternal.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
“elite”
“elite recruits...”
“elite program in college football...”
“we will target the elite of the elite...”

The sad part is those high aspirations from Geoff are actually what's bothering you, Animal, and now apparently AE. Think about what that says about you guys when you get some time.

This thread is great.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You do know that the 30 doesn't equal Triple Option?

It's a personnel package. It just means a line up without a TE per se.
Yeah but that really doesn’t matter in the context of recruiting. If recruits think all you do is run the option that’s the issue.
Our Bbacks generally weren’t the problem. We couldn’t block those guys, period. I don’t care who you got toting the rock, if ya can’t block, ya can’t run.
the returning b backs were solid but except for Benson not homerun type backs. Griffin looks to be on a different level. If you are going to run a 1 back set that’s what you need.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can do as well as VT has in the last two years - 7 4 star athletes both years - I'll be both satisfied and, frankly, surprised. We've done that well in one recent year, 2007. Provided we don't fall flat on our face in terms of wins, I think we can easily get to where we are doing better then Duke and Pitt. VT and da U are a different story.

But hope springs eternal.

Agreed.

We should be able to field a more talented team than BC, Syr, Wake, UVA, NCSt, Pitt, Duke, Louisville and even UNC. I think CGC knows this is possible.

None of them have the inherent advantages GT does.

So, yeah, I kinda "waffled" on whether or not we can surpass VT's talent level in the mid-term. We certainly have the potential to but as you said positive results on the field will definitely help.

Animal02

Banned
The sad part is those high aspirations from Geoff are actually what's bothering you, Animal, and now apparently AE. Think about what that says about you guys when you get some time.

This thread is great.
:rolleyes:. Once again you miss by a mile. It has nothing to do with aspirations, it has everything to do with posters drunk on hype with no facts or proof to back it up.
Like the predictions of competing for multiple NCs in a few years. And acting like the new hire magically makes all the structural issues at Tech go away. If anything, what is happening with BB should clue a few people in to the tough row that needs to be home.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
:rolleyes:. Once again you miss by a mile. It has nothing to do with aspirations, it has everything to do with posters drunk on hype with no facts or proof to back it up.
Like the predictions of competing for multiple NCs in a few years. And acting like the new hire magically makes all the structural issues at Tech go away. If anything, what is happening with BB should clue a few people in to the tough row that needs to be home.

Please show me a single prediction of even competing for a single NC (much less multiple) in a few years if you’re gonna try to throw out a straw man like that.