Recruiting analysis

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your basic point but every 5 years still seems like a steep climb for Tech. Here are the recruiting rankings according to one source for 2018:
1 Georgia
2 Ohio State
3. Texas
4. USC
5. Alabama
6. Penn State
7. Clemson
8. Miami
9. Oklahoma
10. Notre Dame
11. FSU
12. Auburn
13. Oregon
14. Florida
15. LSU
16. Washington
17. Texas A&M
18. South Carolina
19. UCLA
20. UNC

When I look at most of the teams on this list I see built in recruiting advantages for them that Tech will probably never compete with. If Tech is to crack the top 20 who are the likely candidates that we might be able to beat in head to head recruiting battles? My choices, not based on where they are ranked but because these are teams we ought to out recruit once in a while, are....Texas A&M, South Carolina, UCLA and UNC. So, how many times in a decade should we expect Tech to recruit better than these teams? Top 20 recruiting, in my opinion, is probably not going to be an every five year or so thing.

The thing you fail to recognize is that teams are constantly in flux. Maryland made the top 20 (2017 #18) one year, Michigan State made it in 2016 (#17). Can GT make the top 20 every 5 years? ABSOLUTELY without question. It's not like making the top 20 requires a class full of 4/5 star players. On average, the #20 ranked class averaged about 7 4 stars per class. You don't think GT can close on 7 4 stars each class? IF the defense AND the offense carry their own weight, it should not be hard for GT to close on that many 4 stars. Unfortunately, with system we have on offense, we can pretty much eliminate any 4 stars coming to GT to play offense. I think we average about 1 4 star on offense every 4 years. Georgia is a top 4 state in producing NFL talent, and top 4 state in producing college players.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-talent-in-college-football-right-now#slide10

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-rosters-by-state-2016-9

Look at the other states ahead of GA in producing NFL and college players. GT does well in Alabama and Florida in recruiting already. Imagine if GT has a system kids actually want to play in, and a system recruits don't get negatively recruited against. 100% true: there are recruiters out there that show a photo of our DLs walking to practice with knee braces on, and tell the DLs and LBs we recruit "Is that something you want to endanger your career with everyday? Having to protect your knees? It's bad enough to play against it one time every year, but imagine having to do that on a daily basis. You're risking money going to GT." True or not, that's the perception GT is fighting against right now with LBs and DLs.

I see the argument about APR when recruiting comes up. Here's the thing: It will be interesting to see how GT does AFTER CPJ is gone. APR was instituted in 2003, and of course we had that vaunted 2007 class. 2008 class was shaping up to be a pretty good class as well until Gailey was fired and CPJ came with his system. From a strictly recruiting perspective, we've had to recruit with the offensive system hurting us since CPJ was hired, so it's hard to get a gauge how GT would do now that APR is in full bloom. If anything, APR affects are still TBD.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The thing you fail to recognize is that teams are constantly in flux. Maryland made the top 20 (2017 #18) one year, Michigan State made it in 2016 (#17). Can GT make the top 20 every 5 years? ABSOLUTELY without question. It's not like making the top 20 requires a class full of 4/5 star players. On average, the #20 ranked class averaged about 7 4 stars per class. You don't think GT can close on 7 4 stars each class? IF the defense AND the offense carry their own weight, it should not be hard for GT to close on that many 4 stars. Unfortunately, with system we have on offense, we can pretty much eliminate any 4 stars coming to GT to play offense. I think we average about 1 4 star on offense every 4 years. Georgia is a top 4 state in producing NFL talent, and top 4 state in producing college players.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-talent-in-college-football-right-now#slide10

Look at the other states ahead of GA in producing NFL and college players. GT does well in Alabama and Florida in recruiting already. Imagine if GT has a system kids actually want to play in, and a system recruits don't get negatively recruited against. 100% true: there are recruiters out there that show a photo of our DLs walking to practice with knee braces on, and tell the DLs and LBs we recruit "Is that something you want to endanger your career with everyday? Having to protect your knees? It's bad enough to play against it one time every year, but imagine having to do that on a daily basis. You're risking money going to GT." True or not, that's the perception GT is fighting against right now with LBs and DLs.

I see the argument about APR when recruiting comes up. Here's the thing: It will be interesting to see how GT does AFTER CPJ is gone. APR was instituted in 2003, and of course we had that vaunted 2007 class. 2008 class was shaping up to be a pretty good class as well until Gailey was fired and CPJ came with his system. From a strictly recruiting perspective, we've had to recruit with the offensive system hurting us since CPJ was hired, so it's hard to get a gauge how GT would do now that APR is in full bloom. If anything, APR affects are still TBD.

You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Where I am skeptical is the idea that in any given year (in the five year cycle that you posited) that Tech can get 7 4-star players AND also have a recruiting class of 25 players or more. We have discussed this on here endlessly in the past but most of the football factories figure out how to recruit more than the average number of recruits needed each year. This, because of the way recruiting rankings are figured, boosts them in the standings. APR, Tech's academic requirements and sticking to real recruiting numbers, means it will be very hard to score a top 20 class every five years. Notice I did not say impossible, just highly improbable. As awareness grows about the seriousness of head injuries (a real and valid concern versus the propaganda that playing for Tech will leave you crippled) then it may be that quality players will become less enamored of extending their risk into the pros and will want to look instead for a school that can give them life time financial security.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Where I am skeptical is the idea that in any given year (in the five year cycle that you posited) that Tech can get 7 4-star players AND also have a recruiting class of 25 players or more. We have discussed this on here endlessly in the past but most of the football factories figure out how to recruit more than the average number of recruits needed each year. This, because of the way recruiting rankings are figured, boosts them in the standings. APR, Tech's academic requirements and sticking to real recruiting numbers, means it will be very hard to score a top 20 class every five years. Notice I did not say impossible, just highly improbable. As awareness grows about the seriousness of head injuries (a real and valid concern versus the propaganda that playing for Tech will leave you crippled) then it may be that quality players will become less enamored of extending their risk into the pros and will want to look instead for a school that can give them life time financial security.

Your skepticism has been noted.

It will be proven wrong within 5 years once a non triple option coach is hired.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

Unfortunately, not all quality recruits have parents like those of our players - parents who kids look to for sage life advice, parents who recognize the fragility of NFL dreams, parents who want their kids to succeed off the field just as much, or more, as they do on the field. We were all young once, so we all know how easy it is to listen to pipe dreams and to take the path more taken. To fill our roster with truly exceptional student-athletes, we’ve got to cast a very broad, nationwide net.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, not all quality recruits have parents like those of our players - parents who kids look to for sage life advice, parents who recognize the fragility of NFL dreams, parents who want their kids to succeed off the field just as much, or more, as they do on the field. We were all young once, so we all know how easy it is to listen to pipe dreams and to take the path more taken. To fill our roster with truly exceptional student-athletes, we’ve got to cast a very broad, nationwide net.

In essence, you've pretty much summarized recruiting. Unfortunately, there are some things our coaches can not smooth over in the process of recruiting....and CPJ alluded to it in the SI article:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/27/triple-option-offense-army-georgia-tech

Meyer, then the up-and-coming head coach at Utah in 2003 and ’04, often phoned the Navy football offices to pick the brain of Johnson, who had improved the Midshipmen from two wins in year one to eight wins in year two with an option offense that was all the rage 25 years prior. Meyer wanted in, or at least part of the way in, looking to incorporate some of Navy's concepts in a double option zone-read system that would eventually make him the toast of college football.

“He’d call about help with this or that,” Johnson recalls. The phone conversation would often end the same way: Meyer or his assistants reminding Johnson and the Navy staff to keep the conversations on the down-low. “Don’t tell anybody!” Johnson remembers them saying. “We don’t want to get labeled!”

The option family is always fighting the ham sandwich label—productive, but plain; sustainable, but simple. The golden years of the option faded away for recruiting reasons as much as any other. Option teams claimed one-third of the national championships from 1950 to ’79. Then, gradually, dozens of coaches dropped the system in favor of variants of BYU’s West Coast offense, Steve Spurrier’s Fun ’n' Gun, Mike Leach’s Air Raid or Meyer’s spread scheme, in an effort to woo teenagers with flash..."

“Talk to the high school coaches, they’ll tell you the kids want to be receivers,” Johnson says. The label exists for a reason—take for example the four games last season in which Monken’s Army team did not complete a pass, including the one in which the Black Knights did not attempt a pass.

That's what our coaches are fighting against. Unfortunately, they are winning very few of those battles. Top tier WRs want to catch footballs, top tier QBs want to throw the ball. Heck, some WRs will have more catches in a game than some of our WRs will have in an entire year. Some of the QBs will have more pass attempts in a game than our QBs will have completions for the year. I wrote in another thread that's it's probably now much harder to find pure option QBs on the HS level to recruit than it is to find Spread passing QBs. Even our own QB recruiting has reflected that: Pretty much all of our QBs we've signed are from spread passing type offenses that play out of the shotgun.

The whole APR, GT has tough academics recruiting argument should really be shelved until CPJ is gone. His system makes it hard for us to truly judge and assess the true impact of those issues. Not saying GT will catch recruiting fire once CPJ is gone as GT has some hurdles on the academic side that decreases the pool of SAs we can recruit, but recruiting should experience and uptick provided GT doesn't bring in another coach that runs a pure triple option system.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Real easy answer. Just look at Braun’s little brother quotes about UF and gameday atmosphere.

Football is so much fun at the flats.

The fans cheering and even the coaches yelling!

20180923_173710.jpg

slugboy

Staff member
Let’s sum things up.
1. Some of our recruiting level is basic to us as a school. We certainly aren’t at the built in recruiting level of a Miami or even a UNC, but I don’t think we’re that bad, and we have a lot of advantages
2. Some of our recruiting level is the support structure in the AA, and this has fallen behind
3. Some is on the coaching staff and the head coach. I think we’ve made progress lately, but CPJ isn’t the same kind of recruiter that Richt or some of our competitors are.
4. There’s the effect of our offensive scheme.

How big is #4? If CPJ switched to a pro set or Mike Leach air raid, where would our recruiting rankings be?
For a pro style, I think we might actually fall off. We might pick up 5 spots or more with air raid, just as my estimate.

For #3, I’ve seen a few people say that “Chan finally got recruiting in his last two years”. From what I remember, I’d say that’s right, but people had given up on him by then. He was finally pitching the school like a head coach should. I remember him on the matrix board pitching GT, and I thought “finally! Where has this been”. It was Chan’s game prep, zombie-like play calling, and in game coaching that was frustrating. CPJ has never done what Chan did in terms of trying to sell the school. Even O’Leary didn’t effectively pitch the games to the students, and Chan and as far as I know CPJ haven’t really tried. Dabo and Richt and the successful recruiters pitch the program to the recruits and to the fans. That’s been a problem for us, and it needs fixing.
Pastner does it for basketball. There’s a huge contrast to me between the sports even at Tech.

This is my long winded way of saying we won’t get a huge recruiting bump just by swapping offenses. But, we can get a good bit better even by doing some things that don’t cost much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let’s sum things up.
1. Some of our recruiting level is basic to us as a school. We certainly aren’t at the built in recruiting level of a Miami or even a UNC, but I don’t think we’re that bad, and we have a lot of advantages
2. Some of our recruiting level is the support structure in the AA, and this has fallen behind
3. Some is on the coaching staff and the head coach. I think we’ve made progress lately, but CPJ isn’t the same kind of recruiter that Richt or some of our competitors are.

How big is #4? If CPJ switched to a pro set or Mike Leach air raid, where would our recruiting rankings be?
For a pro style, I think we might actually fall off. We might pick up 5 spots or more with air raid, just as my estimate.

For #3, I’ve seen a few people say that “Chan finally got recruiting in his last two years”. From what I remember, I’d say that’s right, but people had given up on him by then. He was finally pitching the school like a head coach should. I remember him on the matrix board pitching GT, and I thought “finally! Where has this been”. It was Chan’s game prep, zombie-like play calling, and in game coaching that was frustrating. CPJ has never done what Chan did in terms of trying to sell the school. Even O’Leary didn’t effectively pitch the games to the students, and Chan and as far as I know CPJ haven’t really tried. Dabo and Richt and the successful recruiters pitch the program to the recruits and to the fans. That’s been a problem for us, and it needs fixing.
Pastner does it for basketball. There’s a huge contrast to me between the sports even at Tech.

This is my long winded way of saying we won’t get a huge recruiting bump just by swapping offenses. But, we can get a good bit better even by doing some things that don’t cost much.

UNC will take any NCAA minimum qualifier if they think they can play. We lost our first committed recruit a few years ago to UNC when the hill rejected him. He started as a DE at UNC. They have places to hide them and maintain APR.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Of course, I don't want to do the work, so asking for this is probably not fair. BUT, I would like this looked at again, with only D-line analysis (and the LB's).

I really think it matters mostly in those 2 areas, with our current offense. Of course, WR's would probably not look too good either, but we understand that due to the lack of passing in our offense.

I believe our quantity and quality of front 7 D players has been steadily low. We all know that Kallon never was a 4 star. Currently our only 4 star LB is not starting, so not sure he is actually a 4 star either. It has been my belief that even the 3 star guys we have are often on the lower half of the scale. You must understand that the 3 star category has tons of players in it. Also, I hear you about "coaching up" the players, but size and speed are hard to "coach up".

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
size and speed are hard to "coach up".

Reminds me of Bobby Ross. He recruited kids who were big enough and fast and athletic enough to play the positions and taught them how to play. There weren't internet recruiting service stars in those days, but there was some recruiting info. He wasn't getting as many highly rated kids as UGa etc but they were good enough.

Two things relevant to the above:
Ross could attract quality assistants. He had a good reputation in the coaching community. I don't believe coaches who want to advance their careers care too much about learning option football the way Johnson runs it, and there hasn't been much to learn on D or ST either.

Ross cast a wide net. The 1990 2 deep had more players from more than 300 miles from campus that we have seen in last 10 years.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Here are some key players from those recruiting classes in 14, 15 and 16 that are not on the field for us for various reasons...

Trey Klock (transfer)
Gary Brown (didn't he quit?)
Marcus Marshall (transfer - lost job to Mills)
KirVante Benson (injured)
Dante Wigley (I was very high on him out of HS, transferred and is now at Colorado I believe)
Jaylen Ratliffe (was an absolutely perfect fit for our offense... can't fault the coaching staff for this one... but would have been a junior by now I believe)
AJ Gray (injured)
Jordan Woods (4 star DE, transfer)
Jay Jones (transferred, depth chart)
Dedrick Mills (transferred, 3 strikes)

We'd look a lot different on O if we had Klock and Brown still on the depth chart for OL and a backfield of Mills, Ratliffe, and Benson/Marshall at AB.

Every program deals with attrition and losing players, and this is not all we've lost in the last few years... but I think each of these guys would have been difference makers in time... ESPECIALLY Ratliffe and Mills .

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Let’s sum things up.

AS for #4--at first I didn't believe it but running THIS Offense affects the DEF ---A LOT.We say that other teams have to scramble to learn to play vs our Off--why isn't this true for our Def learning to play vs the 3-4 wide, one back, shotgun snap Offense we play against a lot.Our Def sees our Off much of the time.Not only that but we don't practice against high level passing nor WRs so our reactions are not the same.
History has shown over 11 yrs we do not put out strong DEFs.This is a BIG reason.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In essence, you've pretty much summarized recruiting. Unfortunately, there are some things our coaches can not smooth over in the process of recruiting....and CPJ alluded to it in the SI article:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/27/triple-option-offense-army-georgia-tech

Meyer, then the up-and-coming head coach at Utah in 2003 and ’04, often phoned the Navy football offices to pick the brain of Johnson, who had improved the Midshipmen from two wins in year one to eight wins in year two with an option offense that was all the rage 25 years prior. Meyer wanted in, or at least part of the way in, looking to incorporate some of Navy's concepts in a double option zone-read system that would eventually make him the toast of college football.

“He’d call about help with this or that,” Johnson recalls. The phone conversation would often end the same way: Meyer or his assistants reminding Johnson and the Navy staff to keep the conversations on the down-low. “Don’t tell anybody!” Johnson remembers them saying. “We don’t want to get labeled!”

The option family is always fighting the ham sandwich label—productive, but plain; sustainable, but simple. The golden years of the option faded away for recruiting reasons as much as any other. Option teams claimed one-third of the national championships from 1950 to ’79. Then, gradually, dozens of coaches dropped the system in favor of variants of BYU’s West Coast offense, Steve Spurrier’s Fun ’n' Gun, Mike Leach’s Air Raid or Meyer’s spread scheme, in an effort to woo teenagers with flash..."

“Talk to the high school coaches, they’ll tell you the kids want to be receivers,” Johnson says. The label exists for a reason—take for example the four games last season in which Monken’s Army team did not complete a pass, including the one in which the Black Knights did not attempt a pass.

That's what our coaches are fighting against. Unfortunately, they are winning very few of those battles. Top tier WRs want to catch footballs, top tier QBs want to throw the ball. Heck, some WRs will have more catches in a game than some of our WRs will have in an entire year. Some of the QBs will have more pass attempts in a game than our QBs will have completions for the year. I wrote in another thread that's it's probably now much harder to find pure option QBs on the HS level to recruit than it is to find Spread passing QBs. Even our own QB recruiting has reflected that: Pretty much all of our QBs we've signed are from spread passing type offenses that play out of the shotgun.

The whole APR, GT has tough academics recruiting argument should really be shelved until CPJ is gone. His system makes it hard for us to truly judge and assess the true impact of those issues. Not saying GT will catch recruiting fire once CPJ is gone as GT has some hurdles on the academic side that decreases the pool of SAs we can recruit, but recruiting should experience and uptick provided GT doesn't bring in another coach that runs a pure triple option system.
I guess we might get an answer one day to your well crafted thesis. I am not averse to being persuaded. I just have questions. Has Tech ever in its history had regular top 20 recruiting classes? If not why not? And if the ultimate proof is in the pudding, that is results on the field, why has Tech always had trouble sustaining success?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Reminds me of Bobby Ross. He recruited kids who were big enough and fast and athletic enough to play the positions and taught them how to play. There weren't internet recruiting service stars in those days, but there was some recruiting info. He wasn't getting as many highly rated kids as UGa etc but they were good enough.

Two things relevant to the above:
Ross could attract quality assistants. He had a good reputation in the coaching community. I don't believe coaches who want to advance their careers care too much about learning option football the way Johnson runs it, and there hasn't been much to learn on D or ST either.

Ross cast a wide net. The 1990 2 deep had more players from more than 300 miles from campus that we have seen in last 10 years.
Loved Ross. Let's review again his record. Almost left before 1990 season due to the pressure of coaching at Tech. Left two years later because he was tired of recruiting headaches.

Animal02

Banned
I guess we might get an answer one day to your well crafted thesis. I am not averse to being persuaded. I just have questions. Has Tech ever in its history had regular top 20 recruiting classes? If not why not? And if the ultimate proof is in the pudding, that is results on the field, why has Tech always had trouble sustaining success?
Top 20 recruiting....not since the 40's I would guess.
Trouble with sustaining success? Kids will ride the bench for a year or two at Bama, UGAG, etc, Or Duke and UNC in basketball.....not so much at Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I never said GT should have REGULAR top 20 classes. What I said was, it's not too much to expect a top 20 class every 4-5 years or so. If you look at the timeline of Ross through Gailey, even though the recruiting services don't go that far back, there is history there to suggest GT has been able to pull a top 20 class about every 4-5 years...until CPJ.

If you look at recruiting now, our defense is able to pull somewhere between 2-4 4star recruits a season (depending on the service you look at). Even with the offense hurting our recruiting on the offensive side of the ball, GT regularly ends up in the top 40-50 in recruiting rankings. Now, if the offensive side of the ball can match the 2-4 4 stars the defensive side pulls in, you're talking about a combined 4-8 4 stars a season. Which would put GT in the 25-40 range regularly. Once every 4-5 years, it's not unreasonable to think the offensive side AND defensive side of the ball can get 7-8 4 star recruits combined. That would put us in the top 20.

Like I said, we won't find out until CPJ is gone. If the next guy is a "triple option" guy, then we'll most likely have to wait longer. From what I've seen and read in different places, if Stansbury has to make a change, he will move towards a coach that will not run a "pure" option system like CPJ.

Milwaukee

Banned
The enlightened folks claim change is good, change is necessary, upgrade facilities to help, etc etc. But when it comes to our recruiting they change tunes back to "well this is how it's always been". Look we know there are obstsacles, we need recruiters that are smart enough to figure it out and breakthrough. We sure as hell don't need the entire fan base whispering to the AD that we can't recruit here anyway because "we never have". Get a grip.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Loved Ross. Let's review again his record. Almost left before 1990 season due to the pressure of coaching at Tech. Left two years later because he was tired of recruiting headaches.

He was frustrated 2 years before because he wasn't winning, not because of recruiting. He walked into a lax atmosphere that existed under Curry. If you have ever talked to anyone who played for Ross he is the antithesis of lax. His frustration was due to the specific circumstances, not the culture of Tech.

He left after 1991 because he was offered a head coaching job in the NFL---the GM of the Chargers was a friend of his--- not because of recruiting.