Recruiting analysis

Deleted member 2897

Duke plays in front of 20k of their own fans and does not have near the history and tradition that we have. To insinuate they have more resources just because they spend marginally more than us is really misguided. There is no reason Duke should be beating us with a quarter of their roster from Ga but they aren’t just beating us they are owning us.

Johnson and Cutcliffe were hired in the same year. At that time nobody thought the Duke program was in the same stratosphere as us. They made a great hire, we made a poor one. Now a decade later some are acting like they have recruiting advantages over us. It’s an outrageous claim and one I can’t wait to see go away under a new coach.

You’re way off base here. You wouldn’t even get an incomplete if this were a class graded on relevancy.

Edit: what do I mean here? That Duke has 20k fans watching a game matters much less to recruiting than having the “second or third largest staff in the ACC”.
http://ramblinwreck.com/video-paul-johnson-weekly-press-conference-game-7-duke/

The investments they’ve made over time along with good coaching has lead to that. Most of the rest of what you said is just wrong - Cutcliffe doesn’t have nearly the record CPJ does. Look at their ACC records, bowl games, Coastal Championships, etc. I think you’re letting your hatred of CPJ color your analysis a bit too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You’re way off base here. You wouldn’t even get an incomplete if this were a class graded on relevancy.

Please explain. You don’t view fan base and historical success of a program as dominant factors in recruiting? That seems like a pretty wild claim but I’ll be glad to listen to a counter argument.

Just telling me my post is irrelevant without an explanation really just makes your post irrelevant. Who cares though. I’d love to hear your explanation.

Deleted member 2897

Please explain. You don’t view fan base and historical success of a program as dominant factors in recruiting? That seems like a pretty wild claim but I’ll be glad to listen to a counter argument.

Just telling me my post is irrelevant without an explanation really just makes your post irrelevant. Who cares though. I’d love to hear your explanation.

I edited it for you. Please read again. And yes, telling people we have national championships from many decades ago and that we seat 45k fans doesn’t matter much. If it did we’d have 4-stars everywhere going back 50 years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Edit: what do I mean here? That Duke has 20k fans watching a game matters much less to recruiting than having the “second or third largest staff in the ACC”.

The investments they’ve made over time along with good coaching has lead to that. Most of the rest of what you said is just wrong - Cutcliffe doesn’t have nearly the record CPJ does. Look at their ACC records, bowl games, Coastal Championships, etc. I think you’re letting your hatred of CPJ color your analysis a bit too much.
Could u help me understand the gt verses dukecrecruiting data presented at the start of thread.
I read from 18 back as we have THE SAME STAR RECRUITS. Do u agree?

I agree with u that we are standing flat footed in recruiting. BIG TIME
But the stars say we are equal while inv5 years we have only won once (by 3 points).
I think the accuracy of stars is + - .5
Do u agree?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

One thing that is interesting is that there is no talk of firing Cutcliffe. Duke is very happy with him and he has told insiders he is not going anywhere.

Deleted member 2897

One thing that is interesting is that there is no talk of firing Cutcliffe. Duke is very happy with him and he has told insiders he is not going anywhere.

Their fans don’t demand 8+ win seasons or to beat Clemson. They recognize who they are and just don’t want to suck. Duke is much more competitive than they used to be.

Deleted member 2897

Could u help me understand the gt verses dukecrecruiting data presented at the start of thread.
I read from 18 back as we have THE SAME STAR RECRUITS. Do u agree?

I agree with u that we are standing flat footed in recruiting. BIG TIME
But the stars say we are equal while inv5 years we have only won once (by 3 points).
I think the accuracy of stars is + - .5
Do u agree?

My perspective is that Duke is no longer the pushover they used to be. When you have the 2nd or 3rd largest staff in the ACC it makes it possible to be 6-6 much more likely than 2-10. And Cutcliffe lives rent free in CPJs Head now.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Their fans don’t demand 8+ win seasons or to beat Clemson. They recognize who they are and just don’t want to suck. Duke is much more competitive than they used to be.
They like going to a bowl and have been beating their rival UNC recently. They really just bide their time until BB starts. The renewed spending for FB came from some former players that have been very successful financially- Anthony Dilwig for one. They got tired of being last in the league and started raising $ for improvements. They still don't get good attendance from locals.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad you mentioned the Purdue game! They were a 3&3 team playing the mighty Buckeyes. Purdue had a game plan offensively&defensively , a wellcoached team and stuck with the plan.As far as I know they had no 5 star players and I highly doubt they recruit any slackers.It can also be done at Tech under T. Stan, but johnson and his TO has to go! Tech has alot to offer dammit, someone has to sell it!!
It’s not the TO that’s a problem we have been a top 25 offensively by FEI for most years. I do agree CPJ needs to go though. Probably for different reasons than you.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree CPJ was not a "bad hire", but in your comparison notice how Cutcliffe, who inherited far less talent than CPJ, made Duke better over the years while Tech stagnated. In his first five years Duke averaged 4.2 wins, Tech 8.2. In the last five years Duke averaged 7.6, Tech 7.
While I agree that Cutcliffe has done a good job at Duke, if Duke played Clemson and UGA every year, and we played Wake Forest and Northwestern then the records would probably be a bit different.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While I agree that Cutcliffe has done a good job at Duke, if Duke played Clemson and UGA every year, and we played Wake Forest and Northwestern then the records would probably be a bit different.

This is no doubt true. But I would imagine if you asked any casual fan of college FB which place is the better job for a coach between Duke and GT, most would say GT. Why? It's the 2nd P5 school in a state that produces the 4th most NFL players. Duke is a distant 3rd ( and 1 of 4) P5 program in a state that produces the 13th or 14th most pro players. GT is in ATL, Duke is in Durham. Academics to the uninitiated would be a wash. History? Most people would again rate Gt ahead of Duke here. And yet, Duke was won 4 of the last 5. Many of us who post here never thought this would be a reality although some of the truly ancient ones might disagree.

The winning 4 of 5 imo sort of renders the debates about schedules (and everything else) somewhat meaningless.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We beat undefeated FSU when we were 2-5. Purdue has not turned any corner. They just had 1 amazing game like many schools have.
Nobody remembers that they started 0-3 & lost to East Michigan. The coach was a dumbass & wasteful of the highest rated recruit ever in the history of Purdue football. One of my best friends is a Purdue grad and I’m so happy for him that they beat OH St, but for now he’s happy they’re 4-3 with a shot to go to any bowl game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is no doubt true. But I would imagine if you asked any casual fan of college FB which place is the better job for a coach between Duke and GT, most would say GT. Why? It's the 2nd P5 school in a state that produces the 4th most NFL players. Duke is a distant 3rd ( and 1 of 4) P5 program in a state that produces the 13th or 14th most pro players. GT is in ATL, Duke is in Durham. Academics to the uninitiated would be a wash. History? Most people would again rate Gt ahead of Duke here. And yet, Duke was won 4 of the last 5. Many of us who post here never thought this would be a reality although some of the truly ancient ones might disagree.

The winning 4 of 5 imo sort of renders the debates about schedules (and everything else) somewhat meaningless.
I agree. I think most would put GT ahead of Duke in almost every category. Its why we beat them 18 of 19 games before this 1 of 5 streak started. Thats why I think comparing overall records is a little misleading, especially when they aren't playing anyone. Also, losing 4 of 5 to them hurts, no doubt about it but its getting blown a little out of proportion. No they haven't passed us as a program. They have just had our number recently for whatever reason. If we beat VT this week then we would have beaten VT 4 out of 5 games. Same as Duke against us. Will the people on here that argue that Duke has passed us also argue that we have passed VT?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I don't disagree with that, but Duke is playing the same schedule or better that they played when they were the bottom of the barrel.

In the eight years before Cutcliffe became HC, they won 0,0,2,4,2,1,0,and 1 game.

Then Cutcliffe took over and they won 4,5,3,3,6,10,9,8,4,and 7. That is a spectacular improvement.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Will the people on here that argue that Duke has passed us also argue that we have passed VT?

4 out of 5...yes, the data would support that argument imo. In a single game , anything is possible. But 5 games in football is a relatively significant sample size.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we win / lose at vt in 18, then we are 4 /3of 5 against them in last 5 years. Prior to that we were pretty much on the L train w them save 09 . Being 4 ofc5 w vt would sound great to offset 1 of 5 w duke.

I think we can salvage this season w win there and 2 more Duke.
Lose there and only 1 more win gives a really bad record . It cements the image the real teams have figured us out so we may as well change.

I am going with victory and big wins too

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
UVA 28 Duke 14 ... yes I think it is our offense, it CAN be stopped and the more football I watch the more I agree it IS a HS offense, we have a frigging RB playing QB ??
The argument here will be, but we have one of the top rushing yards per game stats in the nation ... 3-5 !!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
UVA 28 Duke 14 ... yes I think it is our offense, it CAN be stopped and the more football I watch the more I agree it IS a HS offense, we have a frigging RB playing QB ??
The argument here will be, but we have one of the top rushing yards per game stats in the nation ... 3-5 !!

3-5? You already put Thursday night’s game in the “L” column?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. As I keep saying, Tech's scheduling is a major headwind for the program. Looking forward, where the geniuses in the AD's office have put us up for consecutive home and home's against UCF (!?) and Notre Dame (!!??!!) as out of conference games makes the headwind into hurricane strength. I can live with playing Clemson and Ugag; we have traditions with them and we can compete with more effort on our part. Still, having an easier non-conference slate - sorta like Puke's - would sure help the overall record.

On the Purdue game: OSU put on an exhibition of poor tackling seldom equaled in Big 10 football history. Shoot, they looked like we did under Ted. (I liked him as a coach, but our tackling was awful.)