Recruiting analysis

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
TOP FACTORY
2 ol men at pensacola high are 3 star D1 recruits.
Only recruiter contacted
We offered 1.
The ot is going to TEX AM
Other - Center is going to clemson.
Talking to the offensive coordinator , I asked is the center really a hard commit. He said- yes, he(29 ACT 3.95 gpa) already has his football uniform and pass. They brought it to him . He will be dressed out on sideline if they make the cfb playoffs "

I have no reason to think the o c is not telling the truth . Is this ok w NCAA? If someone in the know thinks it's a violation, I will check out further.
He k, I will check out anyway as I find it unbelievable.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
TOP FACTORY
2 ol men at pensacola high are 3 star D1 recruits.
Only recruiter contacted
We offered 1.
The ot is going to TEX AM
Other - Center is going to clemson.
Talking to the offensive coordinator , I asked is the center really a hard commit. He said- yes, he(29 ACT 3.95 gpa) already has his football uniform and pass. They brought it to him . He will be dressed out on sideline if they make the cfb playoffs "

I have no reason to think the o c is not telling the truth . Is this ok w NCAA? If someone in the know thinks it's a violation, I will check out further.
He k, I will check out anyway as I find it unbelievable.
If school has started, and he's registered, it's no different than him playing Spring Football. Just a little unusual because the bowl games used to end NYE and schools always started after than.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
OK I looked up what I could find because I was only back in the states for a part of the year at the turn of the century but really have no recollection of reading anything about GT having great recruiting classes:

2000 GT #19
2001 GT #51
2002 GT#53
2003 #38

Maybe someone has a different source. I couldn’t find anything from 1998 or 1999. Really doesn’t look to me like we got much of a lift from the glory years.

2001 was a huge class. That numbers is certainly not right. 99 was a solid class as well but not as good as 00 & 01. 2002/2003 were Gailey’s first years and were awful so that looks accurate.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The 2000 class number might be a regrade or something. It was the class with Hobie Holiday (bust) and Brandon Sumner (transferred to UCF, don't know if he ever played a down here) who were both huge recruits. I don't know if recruiting services go back that far but Holiday would probably have been close to, if not, a 5 star. Sumner would have been a top 250, maybe 150 type player if I remember correctly. Maybe our best class as far as top end talent, but like I said the class did not live up to expectations at all.

Milwaukee

Banned
The enlightened folks claim change is good, change is necessary, upgrade facilities to help, etc etc. But when it comes to our recruiting they change tunes back to "well this is how it's always been". Look we know there are obstsacles, we need recruiters that are smart enough to figure it out and breakthrough. We sure as hell don't need the entire fan base whispering to the AD that we can't recruit here anyway because "we never have". Get a grip.

What's the use in upgrading facilities, adding recruiting staff, and raising funds if we can only do what we've always ever done? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical. Do we not understand how insane this thinking is?

We can recruit better than we have, we need to get on board with this concept and put pressure on the administration to make it happen.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He was frustrated 2 years before because he wasn't winning, not because of recruiting. He walked into a lax atmosphere that existed under Curry. If you have ever talked to anyone who played for Ross he is the antithesis of lax. His frustration was due to the specific circumstances, not the culture of Tech.

He left after 1991 because he was offered a head coaching job in the NFL---the GM of the Chargers was a friend of his--- not because of recruiting.
Uh, that is actually not what he said. He left because he got tired of "having my job depend on decisions made by 18 year olds."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Somewhere along the way in this thread the argument seems to have changed. To be clear, saying that you are skeptical, for historical reasons, that CPJ is the root of our recruiting problems is not the same as saying we shouldn't find ways to recruit better.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
He was frustrated 2 years before because he wasn't winning, not because of recruiting. He walked into a lax atmosphere that existed under Curry. If you have ever talked to anyone who played for Ross he is the antithesis of lax. His frustration was due to the specific circumstances, not the culture of Tech.

He left after 1991 because he was offered a head coaching job in the NFL---the GM of the Chargers was a friend of his--- not because of recruiting.

He interviewed with a pro team after the ‘90 season...said it wasn’t a “good fit”. He was looking to get out because he wanted to compete at the pro level AND he knew 1990 wasn’t sustainable.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Ross seemed to have a 5 year span at every job. He may be one of those people who like change. I wish he had stayed longer at GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There's no question we need a bigger recruiting staff. But it seems a new HC would be beneficial, too. Both are needed. Paul Johnson seems to me to be aloof and arrogant. Recruits are probably turned off by his persona. A bigger commitment to our recruiting budget will get us a better head coach down the road, whether that be this year or next.

I so not know CPJ personally. However, my banker does and played for him. He said he's a fantastic human being and did a lot for him as a player and a person. Firm but fair. Had nothing but positive things to say about him.

A different view from another person is that CPJ is just riding out his contract. Win 6-7 games a year and assist in the transition as legacy costs go away. Paydirt for Tech is 3 years out.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Uh, that is actually not what he said. He left because he got tired of "having my job depend on decisions made by 18 year olds."

You won't find too many college coaches who, if offered an NFL job, would not take it. However, what really happened is that Ross was friends with Bobby Beathard. Beathard was GM of the Redskins while Ross was at Maryland which is how they connected. Beathard became GM of the Chargers in 1990 and wanted Ross as his coach. It's that simple.

Back to the original post on this subject, his decision to leave wasn't specific to the environment at Tech. If things were as bad at Tech as some posters indicate, O'Leary and Friedgen would not have wanted the job.

The number of fans on this board who like to focus on negative factors at Tech is just amazing. If you don't like Tech, why are you a fan? Tech has plenty of advantages but most folks seem to prefer whining and excuse making over winning.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. As I keep saying, Tech's scheduling is a major headwind for the program.

I agree but for different reasons. When Tech does not compete with regional schools (e.g., Tennessee, Auburn, etc.), it's hard to recruit regionally. The kids in high schools want to compete against each other in college. I've always maintained it's better for our program to play a crappy SEC school rather than Alcorn State. We should win playing against Vandy. And Vandy is a better draw.

Clemson and UGAG are great. But, sadly, I think our schedule works against us recruiting wise. We need regional opponents to promote ourselves.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He doesn’t care lol? I highly doubt that.

Look at his own words. He took the Tech job to prove that his offense could work at the D1 level. That's what he said.

If he put the same emphasis on defense that he put on his offense, we would have won more. So that's my opinion .. .he does not emphasize the defense as much as he emphasizes the offense. Of course, others feel differently and that's fine.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
From what I've heard from AD's at other schools, that's not true at all.

I don't think Peterson gives a rat's rear end about football. While he could do a lot to facilitate a more organized approach to things like fundraising, he hasn't done much. I recall a statement along the lines of, "My only obligation to the athletic program is to hire the AD." Hardly a major commitment.