Realistic expectations for 2016?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where to post this but I figured it has some baring on 2016. BC landed Patrick Towles from Kentucky as a transfer. Should be a nice rest for our fresh faces in the secondary to open the season in Dublin.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Did I say ANYTHING about a prediction in my original post? I wanted to know people's opinions on what would be a realistic expectation for next season based on how this one transpired, what we have coming back and our schedule. The whole "predictions are stupid" crowd need to relax because that's not at all what I was asking for.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Did I say ANYTHING about a prediction in my original post? I wanted to know people's opinions on what would be a realistic expectation for next season based on how this one transpired, what we have coming back and our schedule. The whole "predictions are stupid" crowd need to relax because that's not at all what I was asking for.
Expectations are synonymous with predictions on this board. It's naive to think otherwise. It's too early to have either even if they weren't.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
OOC games: Mercer, Vanderbilt, Georgia Southern, at UGA
Conference: Duke, Miami, Virginia, Clemson, at VT, at Pitt, at VT, BC (neutral site)

Two trips to Blacksburg? Crap. (j/k)

I actually like the chances in all the OOC games. Vanderbilt will be good defensively but they are sewage plant in August on offense. Georgia? No offensive line, no big time receivers, best LBs probably all leaving ... have fun, young Mr. Eason.

Need to beat Duke and UNC. Owe them for the past two years. I think BC is a win (good defense, bad offense. Really, really bad offense). Like our chances at Pitt. Not real sure about Miami, Clemson or VT. Don't know what to expect from Va Tech this coming year. Miami ought to be good. Time for Richt to get a loss at Grant Field.

8-4 or 9-3.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
That sounds accurate, to the extent that the inputs can be considered "data". But they were clearly artificial, and when a calculation is done numerically an input of 0.1 is assumed by the computer to be 0.100000000000000. Which is why pretending the inputs are in fractional increments of 1/10 makes sense.

I could do an error analysis by assuming an uncertainty of 0.1 and perturbing the inputs randomly in an "upper-lower bound" fashion for multiple runs to see how the results vary. But ain't nobody got time for that. I'm not designing an aircraft over here.

Don't worry. Your methods are perfect for football. This is the sport where a ref will put his foot down on the spot where he thinks the ball ended up at the bottom of a pile of players, place the ball there to mark forward progress, then bring out the chains to measure within a micron whether it passed the last link in the chain for a first down. There is no consistency.

GTFLETCH

Banned
9-3 0r 8-4
CPJ wins his 4th ACC Coach of the Year Award

Losses to UGA, Clemson, Miami, (DUKE/UNC/Vanderbilt)

Good news we get back to a Bowl GAME

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't worry. Your methods are perfect for football. This is the sport where a ref will put his foot down on the spot where he thinks the ball ended up at the bottom of a pile of players, place the ball there to mark forward progress, then bring out the chains to measure within a micron whether it passed the last link in the chain for a first down. There is no consistency.
I always thought that quite comical. A completely subjective placement for exact measurement. Oh so scientific.

I really love how the guy watching the punt sail out of bounds knows the exact spot it crosses the sideline when it's 4o feet in the air, falling fast and moving at an angle.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
It depends upon how the prolate spheroid bounces, whether the linemen block the right defenders, whether the RBs hit the holes and run fast, tough and smart, whether the QB makes the right reads and pitches and passes with precision, whether the WRs run good routes, block well, beat the DBs and adjust and catch, whether we get pressure in the opposing QB, whether we tackle better, whether we play tighter pass coverage, whether the DEs contain, whether we take the right angles, whether we cover the tight end, crossing patterns, pick plays and backs out of the backfield, whether we pick up screen plays, whether we watch out for trick plays, whether we get good hang time, distance and coverage on punts, whether kick offs go through the end zone, whether we produce in the red zone, whether we make FGs, whether we stay healthy, whether players "step up", whether our coaches make good game plans, whether fans show up and raise the players' adrenaline levels, whether we have good-looking uniforms, whether players' have upcoming tests, girlfriend issues, no money, peer pressure and ego issues, whether it rains, whether our guys prepare better in the offseason, whether we have recruited well, whether are players have maintained their eligibility, whether players lose heart and quit or transfer, whether our guys rise to the occasion and outperform their opponents, and, probably, a few other variables. Give me the algorithm that accounts for these variables and I will play your expectation game!

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
5 teams on the schedule with new Head Coaches (VT, Miami, UVA, UGA, Ga Southern) plus Pitt changing OC. That's a dream schedule for a 9th year coach. If CPJ can't get it done this year, then it's time for him to throw in the towel.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
5 teams on the schedule with new Head Coaches (VT, Miami, UVA, UGA, Ga Southern) plus Pitt changing OC. That's a dream schedule for a 9th year coach. If CPJ can't get it done this year, then it's time for him to throw in the towel.
Funny stuff. Be sure to use emogees when you kid, some guys, might take you seriously.;)

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
BC is now without a DC. He took the opening at Michigan.
That could be a big help. Their defense has been pretty solid the last 2 years. They just have had terrible offenses to go along with it. However, I read the other day that BC got transfer QB Patrick Towles fro Kentucky so they might managed to actually put up points now. I think they were shut out in at least 2 games this past season.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Will he be able to immediately play? He played pretty good early in the year. The Auburn game kinda messed there season up.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
That could be a big help. Their defense has been pretty solid the last 2 years. They just have had terrible offenses to go along with it. However, I read the other day that BC got transfer QB Patrick Towles fro Kentucky so they might managed to actually put up points now. I think they were shut out in at least 2 games this past season.
They had the #1 defense in the country and went 0-8 in conference play, including a 3-0 loss to Wake Forest. They also got shut out by FSU.

They didn't score more than 17 in a game against FBS competition. They probably had more issues than QB play.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
A lot has to do with how good our offensive and defensive lines play. That is where games are won and lost, at the line of scrimmage. Whoever wins the battle up front controls the game. 8-4

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

They had the #1 defense in CFF.
Which begs the question about CTR. Ah Nevermind