Realistic expectations for 2016?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Undefeated is possible though not likely. So what is realistic? Most likely? Too many random variables to peg that one accurately so you have to state a range. That range probably has to account for ranges that are most likely. So.... realistically (IMO) we could win 10 or maybe just 5. What fans hope to see is often what they state as likely or realistic. I hope to see us win at least 8 and will be fairly happy but not ecstatic with 8. Every win over 8 brings me closer to ecstasy. Hey, I'm a fan.....I'm not always realistic in my hopes. :)

Also....every single win over the mutts brings me ecstasy.....and I'm needing some of that again this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Undefeated is possible though not likely. So what is realistic? Most likely? Too many random variables to peg that one accurately so you have to state a range. That range probably has to account for ranges that are most likely. So.... realistically (IMO) we could win 10 or maybe just 5. What fans hope to see is often what they state as likely or realistic. I hope to see us win at least 8 and will be fairly happy but not ecstatic with 8. Every win over 8 brings me closer to ecstasy. Hey, I'm a fan.....I'm not always realistic in my hopes. :)

Also....every single win over the mutts brings me ecstasy.....and I'm needing some of that again this year.
Good answer. I have no idea what guys who throw out exact numbers are basing their predictions on.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Of course, my negativity always wins over when I think about these things, but I cannot see us having a great year with our current talent level. I believe winning 7-8 games would be overachieving, and I would take it right now. Again, I hope I am wrong, and this team is all-world, but I just don't see it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Of course, my negativity always wins over when I think about these things, but I cannot see us having a great year with our current talent level. I believe winning 7-8 games would be overachieving, and I would take it right now. Again, I hope I am wrong, and this team is all-world, but I just don't see it.
Do you mean the talent we exhibited in spring or the talent we expect in fall? We get Burden back at center, Leggett back at Bback and add Cottrell at A. We also add some talented freshman, as well. One or two might make the wr two-deep and a certain OL whose brother just graduated is a good bet, too.

Do you mean the talent we exhibited in spring or the talent we expect in fall? We get Burden back at center, Leggett back at Bback and add Cottrell at A. We also add some talented freshman, as well. One or two might make the wr two-deep and a certain OL whose brother just graduated is a good bet, too.
But do we get Mason, Laskey, Days, Waller, Smelter and Gotsis in the fall? :) Or anyone resembling them?

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
But do we get Mason, Laskey, Days, Waller, Smelter and Gotsis in the fall? :) Or anyone resembling them?
You are right we need playmakers like the guys you mentioned. For the most part, however, most of those guys were relative unknowns until they stepped up. In the case of Waller, he only became a playmaker in the final few games of his Tech career. I feel Days only really became a playmaker when Laskey went down half way through their senior year. I don't think anyone thought of Smelter as a playmaker when he announced he would give college football a try for his junior year. Shaq was the the only one of that group that was thought of as a dominant player and we knew what to expect from him each year. Maybe Gotsis as well coming into senior year. My point is a lot of guys who end up producing for us come out of no where with very little expectations.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I have high hopes for Cottrell being a weapon for you guys. If he doesn't go the route of Griffin, and fully recovers, remember that he had won the starting job within a week of being on campus last fall.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I have high hopes for Cottrell being a weapon for you guys. If he doesn't go the route of Griffin, and fully recovers, remember that he had won the starting job within a week of being on campus last fall.
You need to stop with this "you guys" nonsense. When I move to DC I'm driving to your house and planting a huge GT flag in your yard.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't get why some people think we will only win 5 or 6 games, yes we looked bad last year, but we easily could have ended up 9-3, every game we lost beside the notre dame, Clemson, and Miami game we could have won. With more experience at the skilled positions and o line we should be improved big time on offense which will help majorly. We also have more size depth and experience on the d line and two freshman coming in with great size(woods and adams) at LB we have some guys that look pretty pomising and of course more experience like the other positions. The secondary should get some help from the d line if they can produce a rush and they have also had a pretty good amount of playing time already so I'm not really worried about them. Cpj said the o line has gotten better throughout spring and said that the spring game was not normal, which I don't really put to much into the spring game in the first place. Imo every team we have on our schedule we can beat it's just a matter of if we get some breaks our way and play good sound football. I say we end up with atleast 8 wins this year and maybe more if the offense clicks(regular season)

Last edited:

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
My expectations:

1st - This is the year I hold Roof fully accountable for the defense, and I expect it will be the best defense we've had on the field in nearly a decade.

2nd - JT is a senior and will play like it.

3rd - The offense will bounce back, last year was the anomaly. We have a lot of talent in the skill positions.

I believe we surprise to the upside, so: Charlotte +.

/

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I am taking all of that into account when I predict that 7-8 wins would be a successful year. Depth and talent, especially at some critical positions, is not where we need it to be. Again, I am o.k. with anyone disagreeing.