RB coach Mike Daniels has resigned

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a bit surprising to me that Eley was named as the 12th coach, but his duties were just a non-specific offensive assistant leaving a grad assistant coaching the O-line. I speculate that Key offered to move Daniel's to a different role, shuffling the staff and Daniel's chose to resign instead.

If I recall correctly Dave Womack went out that way. CPJ wasn't going to fire him, he offered him a different position because the players were not responding to him as DC. Womack resigned instead.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt it’s got anything to do with the GT football program. As others have mentioned, there’s no upside in leaving midseason for reasons related to football or job satisfaction (unless it’s a retirement, which I doubt). It’s probably for health or family reasons.

I hope Coach Eley is able to do a good job with the RBs. I’m a little concerned that his resume doesn’t include any jobs where he coached RBs in particular, but he does have extensive experience coaching college football, and his specialty seems to be the offensive side of the ball, so I’m sure he knows a thing or two about RB play.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I doubt it’s got anything to do with the GT football program. As others have mentioned, there’s no upside in leaving midseason for reasons related to football or job satisfaction (unless it’s a retirement, which I doubt). It’s probably for health or family reasons.

I hope Coach Eley is able to do a good job with the RBs. I’m a little concerned that his resume doesn’t include any jobs where he coached RBs in particular, but he does have extensive experience coaching college football, and his specialty seems to be the offensive side of the ball, so I’m sure he knows a thing or two about RB play.

You don't leave mid season, either for a new job or because you aren't happy where you are and the situation. You keep a smile on your face and finish out the year and then leave. There is something that happened that led to him leaving mid season. The resignation was a nice way of saying thanks for what you've done, leave your keys and your phone on my desk.

slugboy

Staff member
I have seen VERY little information beyond the announcement that he resigned. From what I understand, he was well thought of.

My only guess is that the reason is truly confidential.

Possibly it leaks out, but as of right now there are a ton of different guesses that can all be badly wrong one way or another.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If you’re trying to salvage the season, I just don’t see Key letting him go….or him taking a job somewhere else mid season.
Unless he’s a poisonous remnant of Geoff’s philosophy’s? I think it’s a pretty weird coincidence that the one player who was publicly upset that GC was fired (Dontae) just happened to be under this coach‘s tutelage.

Last edited:

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
All I heard is that something came up and a decision for him to leave/resign was made quickly. Don't know more than that.

Edited to say: I don't think it was specifically football related, but I'm not 100% sure. Just passing along what I heard.
Thank you. I guess we'll find out later.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
These are the days of our lives. I guess that’s why we love it. CFB is like Dallas, 90210, and The Wire all combined.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Collins is getting the band back together for his next job that he may already have lined up at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee campus or the University of Nebraska - Omaha Campus for the Arts and Humanities campus..... ;)

Blues Brothers GIF
"If it don't bounce back... you go HUNGRY!
BOW bow BOW!"

Last edited: