Rate the best GT FB player...

HamsBiggestFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Jon Carman? (spelling?) Or are you referencing the guy on the other side who it seems like started as a freshman. Can't quite recall his name.

Are you referring to Nat Dorsey? Didn't play with Joe as I believe they had a year of separation, but the best pro-style olinemen I can remember.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Billy Shaw
Stumpy Thomason
Warner Mizell
Walter Carpenter
Billy Teas
Leon Hardeman
Glenn Turner
Billy Lothridge
David Sims Sr
Taz Anderson
Rock Perdoni
Smylie Gebhart
Kim King
Lenny Snow
Clint Castleberry who may have been the best GT player of all time
Those of that era, those who saw Castleberry play, swore by him and were never swayed with later, more publicized Dodd-era greats. Add George Morris, Larry Morris and Larry Stallings to that list and you could play a 4-3 defense against anybody.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We had some darn good TE's during CGOL's and CCG's days ... JP Foshi and Will Heller come to mind. Also, Jimmy Dixon was an unheralded but fearsome FB. Andy Tidwell-Neal, Raymond Roberts-Blake, Kyle Wallace, among many others were underrated OL. Gerris Bowers-Wilkinson is an oft' forgotten, really good LB.

oldgold1771

Georgia Tech Fan
So many come to mind.
Defense
Kevin Battle was a great DT, Rogers beside Brooking, Tillman at S, and my favorite corner or no real reason was Kenny Scott
Offense
WR Watkins & Middleton, OL Cheevers & Mooney, RB Joe Burns

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
What back blew a knee in the 4th quarter of bowl game we had won? I know he was starting, I could have sworn it was Tony, but it wasn't. This was during Gomer' s run.
Not sure.

I was in the end zone watching at Bobby Dodd when Hollins went down. I think it was against BYU but I could be wrong.

A hole opened up, he received the handoff from AJ Suggs, tried to make a cut and just collapsed...was never the same and my hopes for the season collapsed with him. For a few games at least, we had the best RB in the nation. Pretty sure Nat Dorsey was one of the players opening up those holes for him. That guy was good.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since nobody has mentioned them:

John Sias: One of the best WRs in Tech history. Big, fast, and extremely sure hands.

Larry Good: For a long time the Tech leader in passing, but what was great about him was his running ability. They didn't call it the "Camilla Shuffle" for nothing; no Tech QB was ever as shifty. He would have absolutely ruled in our present O.

Steve Raible: Another great WR. Big, fast, and had a good pro career.

Gerry (sorry, Gerald) Bussell: One of our best DBs ever. Coach Dodd always corrected the news media on his first name; Bussell preferred Gerald.

And, yes, Tony Hollings would have won the Heisman if he hadn't got hurt and Tech would have won 11 games at least. I particularly remember seeing him turn the corner against Clemson in our game up there. There were three Tiggers converging on him and just a little crease ahead. Tony slipped. He was cussing all the way back to the huddle; if he had kept his feet it would have been a sure TD. As I said here once, the only back I've seen who was in the same universe was O. J. Simpson. Tony was the same size, just as cute, accelerated just as quickly, and might have been a half step faster. I've always regretted that a) it took Chan to recognize his talent (what was George O'Leary thinking?) and b) that he had his career ended by injury.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Are you referring to Nat Dorsey? Didn't play with Joe as I believe they had a year of separation, but the best pro-style olinemen I can remember.
Yep. That's him. You are correct he did not play with Joe but he was the one I was trying to remember. Nat was highly recruited and lived up to the billing. At my age, I have become afflicted with the malady known as "Sometimers" sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't.