Rate the best GT FB player...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
who (whom?) you have rarely (if ever) seen mentioned on the various GT FB boards over the many years since Al Gore invented this internet thing. We all love to talk about Calvin and Lil'Joe and Scooter Mays and Lucius and Kent Hill and ELI and the Refrigerator Mover (et al.) but just for the heck of it, who is the best player(s) that you rarely (if ever) see mentioned as we reflect on the history of great Yellow Jacket players?

here's a couple just off the top of my head: Reggie Wilkes, Ben Utt and David Lutz (all had pretty solid NFL careers as 1 basis for measurement) but seem to be overlooked when we talk about former Gt greats. Joe Siffri was an outstanding OL for Coach Ross and was a key part of the NC team iirc. Don't think he went pro. In the secondary, Cleve Pounds was a very good safety. Others that you can think of? There's certainly been quite a few. Just trying to kill some time now that spring ball is over.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Overlooked, huh.

Nasty Nate Stimson, Jeremy Muyres (All Acc 3 years I think?), Russell Freeman (as good a blocker as Shaq), Adamm Oliver (good enough to keep Michael Johnson on the bench), Ed Wilder (maybe best blocking back GT ever had), Harvey Middleton, wasn't Don Bessillielu all-independent in the 70's, along with Reggie Wilkes?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One guy who I always thought was under-rated, even if he isn't one of the BEST necessarily was Chris Reis. He had a cup of coffee in the NFL and played in a super bowl fwiw.

Michael Johnson, IPOD, Morgan Burnett, Ted Roof, Kelly Campbell, Kerry Wadkins, Ricardo Ingram, James Butler.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
who (whom?) you have rarely (if ever) seen mentioned on the various GT FB boards over the many years since Al Gore invented this internet thing. We all love to talk about Calvin and Lil'Joe and Scooter Mays and Lucius and Kent Hill and ELI and the Refrigerator Mover (et al.) but just for the heck of it, who is the best player(s) that you rarely (if ever) see mentioned as we reflect on the history of great Yellow Jacket players?

here's a couple just off the top of my head: Reggie Wilkes, Ben Utt and David Lutz (all had pretty solid NFL careers as 1 basis for measurement) but seem to be overlooked when we talk about former Gt greats. Joe Siffri was an outstanding OL for Coach Ross and was a key part of the NC team iirc. Don't think he went pro. In the secondary, Cleve Pounds was a very good safety. Others that you can think of? There's certainly been quite a few. Just trying to kill some time now that spring ball is over.
George Morris, LB, Vicksburg, MS. The defensive anchor of the 51-52 national championship team. Coach Dodd called him his best football player.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Overlooked? Underrated? Hmm well the posters have mentioned everyone from a modern era that I could think of at the moment. From Dodd's time, Gerry Bussell was an All American defensive back, Rufus Guthrie was an All American guard who played pro ball. Joe Auer was a fine two way halfback and defensive back who score the first touchdown in Miami Dolphin history. When asked what he was thinking as a he crossed the goal line (on a kickoff return no less) he said he was concerned about all the noise bothering "Flipper" the Dolphin mascot (a real dolphin kept in some kind of pool). From the modern era, I was thinking about Uzzi Ormegori (ah hell I can't spell it) who was a fine guard early in the Johnson era. Somewhat lightly recruited and unheralded players who overachieved is something of a Tech tradition. There are bunches of them. What we seldom have are players that were highly recruited and for whatever reason did not pan out. (Note: I said "highly recruited" think 4 and 5 stars) We don't have near as many of those for the simple reason those kind of players rarely come here.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So easy to date oneself with these posts...

Here's a few of my favorites...Ron Rogers, Sean Gregory, Keyaron Fox, Derrick Steagall, PJ Daniels, Eric Henderson, Greg Gathers, Kerry Watkins, Charles Wiley, Ed Wilder, Charlie Rogers, Phillip Wheeler

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
O linemen are rarely mentioned. This one is tough when you go back past a few years...

Mansfield Wrotto comes to mind.

Didn't we have a stud tackle when Joe was playing? Can't think of the guy's name for some reason. I want to say he was an All American but I could be crazy. I know I could look it up, but that would ruin the fun

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
O linemen are rarely mentioned. This one is tough when you go back past a few years...

Mansfield Wrotto comes to mind.

Didn't we have a stud tackle when Joe was playing? Can't think of the guy's name for some reason. I want to say he was an All American but I could be crazy. I know I could look it up, but that would ruin the fun

Jon Carman? (spelling?) Or are you referencing the guy on the other side who it seems like started as a freshman. Can't quite recall his name.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Billy Shaw
Stumpy Thomason
Warner Mizell
Walter Carpenter
Billy Teas
Leon Hardeman
Glenn Turner
Billy Lothridge
David Sims Sr
Taz Anderson