Ran into Coach Owens

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Faster than snoddy

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Snoddy wasn't really a BB though. I know coach started him out there, but he never was able to make an impact in that spot. At BB, Dwyer is still the fastest guy I've seen us throw out there, followed by Marshall. It'll be interesting to see where Benson fits in the rankings there, probably at or just below Dwyer if I had to guess. Mills seems most like Ant Allen & Synjyn Days (in his last 8 or so games). I really couldn't be happier than I am with our A/B back spots.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do not think CPJ wants to tell Tenn who is the starting QB, he wants the Vols to have a had time preparing for our O!!

I don't think it really matters. CPJ will put the best QB in for the way Tenn is playing D. At least I hope so.

And if Tenn wants to change how they are playing D, just change QBs again. And again if necessary.

Did I ever mention that it might be a good idea to regularly play two QBs? That could have been one of the 6 reasons I had.

Deleted member 2897

Our coaches are always extremely difficult to translate. When they answer questions, you always have to read between the lines and figure out what they really mean. I've been at this for a long time, so here you go, you can thank me later. I've taken the liberty of quoting exactly what Coach Owens said, then I've translated it into what he really meant.

What Coach Owens Originally Said
Me: How the Abacks looking ?
CO: We doing better, working hard. Coming along.
Me: That's good, who looking good at QB?
CO: They all look good.
Me: That's just coach speak.
CO: No. They all look really good. (lady next to him says it with him simultaneously nods)
CO: I don't know who is gonna win out but they gonna be really good.
Me: Well OK then, thanks.

What Coach Owens Actually Meant
CO: No. They all look really good. (lady next to him says it with him simultaneously nods)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
-Other than Tennessee, we play those teams every year.

umm, I may be misunderstanding, but Jacksonville State could be a much stouter challenge than your typical non BCS team, given they played deep into the I-AA (or whatever they are calling it these days) playoffs last year, and UCF on the road could be quite a challenge (much more so than the typical Tulane or Georgia Southern type game). This year's schedule does worry me a bit given how slowly the offense comes together normally for CPJ teams.

Deleted member 2897

umm, I may be misunderstanding, but Jacksonville State could be a much stouter challenge than your typical non BCS team, given they played deep into the I-AA (or whatever they are calling it these days) playoffs last year, and UCF on the road could be quite a challenge (much more so than the typical Tulane or Georgia Southern type game). This year's schedule does worry me a bit given how slowly the offense comes together normally for CPJ teams.

Jacksonville State has won 44 games over the last 4 years. An average of 11 wins per season for those uGA fans who happen to be reading on this board.

They only play like 1 FBS team a year, and that's typically 1 of their few losses, the other is typically deep in the FCS playoffs. Last year they lost at #21 LSU by 3 touchdowns, but had the same amount of offensive yardage. The year before they lost at #6 Auburn in overtime. We should definitely beat them like 40-10, but if you take them lightly or don't bring your A game you'll make ESPN highlights for all the wrong reasons.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just so long as the coaches aren't present?

they can't receive coaching from any member of the football staff during any session. And that staff member can't be present. But the way it works, is the offseason program is crafted by the football staff. It then goes to strength and conditioning; whom "gets it". It can be taped. Its also conducted on occasion in BDS. Which, CPJ office just happens to overlook the whole field. Oops.

volunteering player arranged workouts are not like the above but there are things creatively done voluntarily as well that coaches get feedback and data from etc; that the strength staff oversees etc...

we had workout sheets that the strength staff gave out that was not just how many reps etc.

the program is very organized, pointed and feedback is back and forth all summer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Voluntary" offseason workouts for college SAs are hilarious. It's voluntary unless you don't show up for them.

Coaches are keeping tabs.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think we forget that football runs all year for the players as it does many (most?) athletes. The number of hours they're putting in plus juggling athletics is immense. I don't care how much tutoring you get on the side grinding through GT's classes and passing while putting in the S&C work, practices and learning the playbook so they can represent the White & Gold on 12-15 Saturdays a year deserves our respect.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think we forget that football runs all year for the players as it does many (most?) athletes. The number of hours they're putting in plus juggling athletics is immense. I don't care how much tutoring you get on the side grinding through GT's classes and passing while putting in the S&C work, practices and learning the playbook so they can represent the White & Gold on 12-15 Saturdays a year deserves our respect.

Yup. Playing college sports is practically a full time job. What they do on Saturdays is just the tip of the iceberg of what they actually do as SAs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What Coach Owens Actually Meant

Is there some sort of grassroots movement to shutdown the internet message boards? In the last 24 hours I have read on this site:

A) trust the coaches to play the best players
B) take what the coaches say at face value
C) do not speculate how about how good our incoming FR or R-FR will be. Wait and evaluate after seeing them play!

If we do these things, our work here is done. Will the last one to log off please turn out the lights?;)

Yup. Playing college sports is practically a full time job. What they do on Saturdays is just the tip of the iceberg of what they actually do as SAs.
Not just college, my son plays high school football here in Colorado and it is year round. They are required to get 100 workouts in the off season and practice for him started May 31st.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
they can't receive coaching from any member of the football staff during any session. And that staff member can't be present. But the way it works, is the offseason program is crafted by the football staff. It then goes to strength and conditioning; whom "gets it". It can be taped. Its also conducted on occasion in BDS. Which, CPJ office just happens to overlook the whole field. Oops.

volunteering player arranged workouts are not like the above but there are things creatively done voluntarily as well that coaches get feedback and data from etc; that the strength staff oversees etc...

we had workout sheets that the strength staff gave out that was not just how many reps etc.

the program is very organized, pointed and feedback is back and forth all summer.
Do the summer offensive workouts work on snaps, meshes, audibles, noise, timing, footwork, choreography? These types of things seem way more important than 7-on-7 drills. With 4 qb's, each guy has to develop chemistry with the rest of the O, particularly the Abacks and pitch relationship. Poor pitch relationship/chemistry leads to balls on the ground. This is partly why we struggle early in seasons.

Keep in mind, these worries assume a full working command of the playbook which is not gonna be the case.