Ran into Coach Owens

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to drive blocking, there has been no one at Tech since CPJ has been here better than Shamire. That includes Shaq. However, his size limits his ability to operate in many other aspects of our offense. The man can flat out move mountains.

Of course, Shamire can move mountains. Heavens, the man is a veritable Stone Mountain himself. Having three guards that can all play is a luxury we have not always had.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
A backs: just as deep as 2014 and maybe even better. Lynch, Searcy, Green, Cottrel and maybe a newbie.
B Backs, Benson needing to lift, did you not see him set the Tech squat record. He is probably the fastest B back we have ever had.
WR's Jeune is 6'3'' and Stewart is 6'2'' plenty tall enough
QB I trust CPJ
O-line mean and if we can get good time from Devine he actually is very good.

Now you, forensic, and wreck have gone and ruined my pity party. Shame on all of you. No, I did not see that Benson set the Tech record for squat. NOW that is what I call some serious lifting. The fastest B back? Really, you don't say? Maybe, Mills better do some more lifting and running a young gun is after his spot.

Yep, I, for one, do not doubt that Mills is the best since Dwyer. I just wonder what kind of fix, if any, we would be in if he went down. The position is an extremely demanding one from a physical standpoint and it is always good to have a plan B for that spot because you never know.
Well, I will say it again, I wish Marcus Marshall had stayed and I think he made a mistake leaving. That said looking at the Spring Game, Benson looks stout and incredibly fast.

Now you, forensic, and wreck have gone and ruined my pity party. Shame on all of you. No, I did not see that Benson set the Tech record for squat. NOW that is what I call some serious lifting. The fastest B back? Really, you don't say? Maybe, Mills better do some more lifting and running a young gun is after his spot.

Shade 6-1.jpg

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Seldom have I heard Coach Johnson sound as confident in QB play as he does going into this season. That said, your enthusiasm for a 2014 type season is commendable however, there should be some caveats:

1) As good as Parker and Will are, they are not Shaq... yet
2) We do not have anyone with the athleticism, and bad *** attitude of Smelter. Nor do we have anyone proven with the size of Waller.
3) We were deeper at Bback then. You stop Days and damn here comes Laskey with a slightly different skill set. Anything happen to Mills and it could be problematic (or not) anyhow Benson and Q better be lifting and running)
4) We were not opening with Tennessee in 2014. Personally for this offense, I prefer a cupcake and ease into the season because of the nature of the triple option. That said, this year MAY prove different with superior blocking and an emphasis on power running. We will see.
5) Maybe the defense is better this year than in 2014 but I am not holding my breath.
6) Miami, Virginia Tech, UGA, Tennessee, Clemson and UNC would be a tough row for anybody to hoe.
7) There was just something about JT5 that made everyone around him better. Do we have similar leaders now?

Give me a little while and I will think of some more.

All good points, but you forget:

-Days was not a B Back at the start of the season. It was Laskey and a walk on backup to start the season IIRC.
- We had lost Godhigh, the star at AB from the 2013 team, and were hoping somebody would step up.
-Waller was not the starter at WR early on IIRC, and didn't really show out until Smelter went down.
-On the OL, Shaq and Braun were the two proven guys. I think to start the season, one OT was Griffin (a freshman), Burden the sophomore center was coming off an injury that kept him out the entire year prior, Chamberlain at the other OT had done nothing of note. Erin Joe was a backup.
-Other than Tennessee, we play those teams every year.
-JT had never started a game going into 2014, so he was an unknown, and to be truthful I hadn't been impressed with his passing in spot duty in 2013. We didn't think somebody his size could take the punishment. Remember the video of him getting crushed by a Miami linebacker as a freshman that was on all the boards?

My point being, if the qb position is OK, we are probably ahead of where we were in the summer of 2014. I also expect that, like almost every year, one or two of the players we think are pretty good will turn out to be very good. And somebody we didn't count on will become very good. Please Lord, let that be a QB.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

-Days was not a B Back at the start of the season. It was Laskey and a walk on backup to start the season IIRC.
- We had lost Godhigh, the star at AB from the 2013 team, and were hoping somebody would step up.
-Waller was not the starter at WR early on IIRC, and didn't really show out until Smelter went down.
-On the OL, Shaq and Braun were the two proven guys. I think to start the season, one OT was Griffin (a freshman), Burden the sophomore center was coming off an injury that kept him out the entire year prior, Chamberlain at the other OT had done nothing of note. Erin Joe was a backup.
-JT had never started a game going into 2014, so he was an unknown, and to be truthful I hadn't been impressed with his passing in spot duty in 2013. We didn't think somebody his size could take the punishment. Remember the video of him getting crushed by a Miami linebacker as a freshman that was on all the boards?

My point being, if the qb position is OK, we are probably ahead of where we were in the summer of 2014. I also expect that, like almost every year, one or two of the players we think are pretty good will turn out to be very good. And somebody we didn't count on will become very good. Please Lord, let that be a QB.

Forget? Hell, half the time I can't remember my own password much less the situation from three years ago. I was not aware that Days was not a B Back at the start of the season. I remember Waller getting his chance when Smelter went down and responded like a champion. The line jelled faster than I thought it would due to the leadership of Shaq. We do play those teams every year but most of them have gotten better like Clemson and UNC. JT was an unknown commodity but personally I thought he was a perfect fit for our offense. A natural triple option quarterback. We probably are better in most positions on offense than 2014 BUT you said nothing about the defense. Your reasoning is very good so we will see.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Faster than snoddy
A backs: just as deep as 2014 and maybe even better. Lynch, Searcy, Green, Cottrel and maybe a newbie.
B Backs, Benson needing to lift, did you not see him set the Tech squat record. He is probably the fastest B back we have ever had.
WR's Jeune is 6'3'' and Stewart is 6'2'' plenty tall enough
QB I trust CPJ
O-line mean and if we can get good time from Devine he actually is very good.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, would you have expected a detailed breakdown of each quarterback's strengths and weaknesses? I do not believe that Coach Owens was blowing smoke they all look good and we probably have the deepest set of quarterbacks in 9 years and perhaps the deepest Abacks as well although the 2014 crew was very deep as well. Thanks for sharing. Coaches need positive support from fans as much as anyone.
You'll get more information from a message board than from an assistant coach in a grocery store in the off-season. More entertaining, too.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he was blowing smoke AND we have deep QBs. MJ might not be 100% and the game plan would be different without him.

It's a compliment to say that he is blowing smoke about something that should be obscured. If he hadn't we would be tattling.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

Terrific reply to a very good post!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Forget? Hell, half the time I can't remember my own password much less the situation from three years ago. I was not aware that Days was not a B Back at the start of the season. I remember Waller getting his chance when Smelter went down and responded like a champion. The line jelled faster than I thought it would due to the leadership of Shaq. We do play those teams every year but most of them have gotten better like Clemson and UNC. JT was an unknown commodity but personally I thought he was a perfect fit for our offense. A natural triple option quarterback. We probably are better in most positions on offense than 2014 BUT you said nothing about the defense. Your reasoning is very good so we will see.
Sideways; good post!!!