Ran into Coach Owens

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Was at Chick Fil A Northside and ran into Coach Owens..

Me: How the Abacks looking ?
CO: We doing better, working hard. Coming along.
Me: That's good, who looking good at QB?
CO: They all look good.
Me: That's just coach speak.
CO: No. They all look really good. (lady next to him says it with him simultaneously nods)
CO: I don't know who is gonna win out but they gonna be really good.
Me: Well OK then, thanks.

Have a good day.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow

CO: No. They all look really good. (lady next to him says it with him simultaneously nods)

Have a good day.
Thanks for the update.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
His position group is improving and working hard. QB1 is a state secret.

A+ coach speak.
He didn't say QB was a secret, he made a statement that they all look good. As for his group he said they were improving, I don't see anything other than two different assessments about two different positions.

SlawDog

Banned

Have a good day.
You misspelled they're other than that, thanks for sharing

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Have a good day.

Well, would you have expected a detailed breakdown of each quarterback's strengths and weaknesses? I do not believe that Coach Owens was blowing smoke they all look good and we probably have the deepest set of quarterbacks in 9 years and perhaps the deepest Abacks as well although the 2014 crew was very deep as well. Thanks for sharing. Coaches need positive support from fans as much as anyone.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Keeps UT in the dark and planning for everything so they can run themselves into the ground early. Keeps the players motivated to get to that next level of cohesion and desire to win, keeps the fans hungry for the season! Sounds like a Win-Win-Win to me.
Can't remember who it was that someone saw recently player wise but that player said the summer workouts and strength & conditioning had been the most brutal they have been through. This is gonna be such a fun season to watch! It's coming soon!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
All right, but for just this one season, I am going to believe what the coaches are saying. We are going to be fine at QB!!!

Do you know what that means? We have all the pieces in place! A solid and talented OL with experience playing together. A bevy of proven big play A Backs. Two sure handed WR's that can get open and also block like offensive guards. A B Back that linebackers will be running away from by the third quarter. And most importantly, quarterbacks that can get the ball to the right place and make big plays on their own. It's 2014 again, boys. That is exactly what we had in 2014, so the season should play out about like that one. We struggle early against a team we should beat handily, we brainfart away one game (as usual) and lose an early shootout. But then we get rolling and the ball bounces our way and we crush a Clemson team having QB problems and dominate uga while winning late. We'll probably play FSU in Charlotte again.

All joking aside, since I am now believing the coaches about the qb situation, my concerns move to the defensive side of the ball. And that too looks similar to 2014. Defensive backs were the strength of that defense same as this one. We had one experienced LB, but were thin after that. I think the DL on this defense will be quite a bit better and deeper than that one (unless we have another summer of attrition on the DL like we did in 2014).

If this isn't a repeat of 2014, don't come crying to me. Blame the coaches instead.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
All right, but for just this one season, I am going to believe what the coaches are saying. We are going to be fine at QB!!!

Do you know what that means? We have all the pieces in place! A solid and talented OL with experience playing together. A bevy of proven big play A Backs. Two sure handed WR's that can get open and also block like offensive guards. A B Back that linebackers will be running away from by the third quarter. And most importantly, quarterbacks that can get the ball to the right place and make big plays on their own. It's 2014 again, boys. That is exactly what we had in 2014, so the season should play out about like that one. We struggle early against a team we should beat handily, we brainfart away one game (as usual) and lose an early shootout. But then we get rolling and the ball bounces our way and we crush a Clemson team having QB problems and dominate uga while winning late. We'll probably play FSU in Charlotte again.

All joking aside, since I am now believing the coaches about the qb situation, my concerns move to the defensive side of the ball. And that too looks similar to 2014. Defensive backs were the strength of that defense same as this one. We had one experienced LB, but were thin after that. I think the DL on this defense will be quite a bit better and deeper than that one (unless we have another summer of attrition on the DL like we did in 2014).

If this isn't a repeat of 2014, don't come crying to me. Blame the coaches instead.

Nope. Blaming you. (y)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Seldom have I heard Coach Johnson sound as confident in QB play as he does going into this season. That said, your enthusiasm for a 2014 type season is commendable however, there should be some caveats:

1) As good as Parker and Will are, they are not Shaq... yet
2) We do not have anyone with the athleticism, and bad *** attitude of Smelter. Nor do we have anyone proven with the size of Waller.
3) We were deeper at Bback then. You stop Days and damn here comes Laskey with a slightly different skill set. Anything happen to Mills and it could be problematic (or not) anyhow Benson and Q better be lifting and running)
4) We were not opening with Tennessee in 2014. Personally for this offense, I prefer a cupcake and ease into the season because of the nature of the triple option. That said, this year MAY prove different with superior blocking and an emphasis on power running. We will see.
5) Maybe the defense is better this year than in 2014 but I am not holding my breath.
6) Miami, Virginia Tech, UGA, Tennessee, Clemson and UNC would be a tough row for anybody to hoe.
7) There was just something about JT5 that made everyone around him better. Do we have similar leaders now?

Give me a little while and I will think of some more.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Seldom have I heard Coach Johnson sound as confident in QB play as he does going into this season. That said, your enthusiasm for a 2014 type season is commendable however, there should be some caveats:

1) As good as Parker and Will are, they are not Shaq... yet
2) We do not have anyone with the athleticism, and bad *** attitude of Smelter. Nor do we have anyone proven with the size of Waller.
3) We were deeper at Bback then. You stop Days and damn here comes Laskey with a slightly different skill set. Anything happen to Mills and it could be problematic (or not) anyhow Benson and Q better be lifting and running)
4) We were not opening with Tennessee in 2014. Personally for this offense, I prefer a cupcake and ease into the season because of the nature of the triple option. That said, this year MAY prove different with superior blocking and an emphasis on power running. We will see.
5) Maybe the defense is better this year than in 2014 but I am not holding my breath.
6) Miami, Virginia Tech, UGA, Tennessee, Clemson and UNC would be a tough row for anybody to hoe.
7) There was just something about JT5 that made everyone around him better. Do we have similar leaders now?

Give me a little while and I will think of some more.
Although we don't have a Shaq on the OL, the group as a whole is better than in 2014 imo. As for the other stuff I will agree, although imo mills is better than Days or Laskey and I think Howard the true freshman might be like mills and show out early (that's a big IF though). Also we have some WR's on the roster who could turn out to be like Waller and smelter, but that's also a big IF. We could have a season like 2014, but more than those other things mentioned the QB will be the big thing that decides that imo. I think JT just had that "it" factor.

A backs: just as deep as 2014 and maybe even better. Lynch, Searcy, Green, Cottrel and maybe a newbie.
B Backs, Benson needing to lift, did you not see him set the Tech squat record. He is probably the fastest B back we have ever had.
WR's Jeune is 6'3'' and Stewart is 6'2'' plenty tall enough
QB I trust CPJ
O-line mean and if we can get good time from Devine he actually is very good.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to drive blocking, there has been no one at Tech since CPJ has been here better than Shamire. That includes Shaq. However, his size limits his ability to operate in many other aspects of our offense. The man can flat out move mountains.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Although we don't have a Shaq on the OL, the group as a whole is better than in 2014 imo. As for the other stuff I will agree, although imo mills is better than Days or Laskey and I think Howard the true freshman might be like mills and show out early (that's a big IF though). Also we have some WR's on the roster who could turn out to be like Waller and smelter, but that's also a big IF. We could have a season like 2014, but more than those other things mentioned the QB will be the big thing that decides that imo. I think JT just had that "it" factor.

Yep, I, for one, do not doubt that Mills is the best since Dwyer. I just wonder what kind of fix, if any, we would be in if he went down. The position is an extremely demanding one from a physical standpoint and it is always good to have a plan B for that spot because you never know.