Radio Show

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
My only problem with Coach's answer to the "question" about the short passing game is that it's dominating our discussion of the show and it stands to reason that it is dominating most of the conversation anyone is having about the show. While we are stuck on a troll phone call (my opinion, maybe it was genuine and the caller has no idea how to communicate), I think we are missing some of the parts where coach was at his finest.

The comments about expectations for coaches in today's world, "fans" blasting coaches/players on social media, the impact on coaches' families and cameras in the locker room/needing to keep some things private were all excellent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wish those of you not there could've heard the collective "groan" that came from the audience as the caller was unfolding the supposed question. Folks in the room knew what the intent probably was...and what the response was going to be.

It'll never be an excuse when Paul is surly with someone. But-- you know what? We all know who Paul is by now. In fact, he is who he's always been. That caller didn't come across as an average Joe. He knew what he was doing. You may wish Paul would do something else sometimes, but there is a genuineness and honesty that is there even in the testy moments.

Nothing vanilla. Nothing fake. Honesty comes in being sure that what you say is true. Honesty doesn't require to you tell everything you know. Sometimes, Paul will decline to disclose for strategic reasons. Sometimes (despite his reputation) he will decline so as not to point out a shortcoming of an individual player.
This makes a lot of sense. I finally got a chance to listen to the show this morning and the guy was trying to pick a bone with coach.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here's an outtake from a longer piece in The Birddog from 2009 titled "Georgia Tech: Friend or Foe", meaning how should we be viewed in competition for the same type of players now as Navy. You can see the author, who really is very knowledgeable about the spread option, touches on almost all of the areas we talk about today, seemingly repeated forever. It does for me anyway, from understanding how he can stay ticked off at the skeptics who even today want to see system failure from one game to how he addresses some telephone callers. As I and others said earlier, there is nothing new. He is what he was when Tech hired him; you take part of him, you take all. He is not a cafeteria coach. I happen to like it while acknowledging some won't. But everything from here down is a direct quote from the piece. The link is in the text.

Paul Johnson may have left the Naval Academy, but I think it’s safe to say that most of us still root for him. It’s hard not to. His offense gave Navy a singularity in the cosmos of major college football; something above and beyond the usual “they play hard for 60 minutes!” type of chatter that seems to come naturally to casual observers of the service academies. College football reporters and talking heads that covered this ingenious combination of run & shoot and spread option couldn’t seem to decide if the offense was innovative or archaic. Navy fans didn’t care either way. To us, the offense was just something uniquely ours. Of course, with the wins, bowl games, and service academy domination, Johnson could have run pretty much anything and Navy fans would still be happy. Beyond the offense and results he produced, he was also a great interview– sarcastic, straightforward, and funny to listen to. Most of us just plain liked the guy. So as upset as we were when he moved on to what he felt were greener pastures at Georgia Tech, most of us hope he finds the kind of success in Atlanta that he didn’t think was possible in Annapolis. (Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). Even those of you who might not be pulling for Coach Johnson still get the enjoyment of seeing skeptics of this offense have to eat their words. (Of course, we knew that would happen all along <http://thebirddog.wordpress.com/2007/07/30/five-myths-of-paul-johnsons-offense/> ).

(As a side note, how annoying is it to watch the same “experts” who told you how the option would fail in a BCS conference now try to explain to you how and why it works? Meh, moving on…)

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
People who think you can play - call your way to a championship are deluded. It's definitely important to have good play selection principles, win the chess match, put the odds in your favor (i.e. going for it on 4th and short) and so on. But I've seen teams missing blocks, missing running lanes, running routes like kittens in the rain, and all the fan on the barstool can say is "too predictable."

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you imagine calling up the CEO of a fortune 500 company and telling him how to do his/her job? I'm sure you'd get a very welcoming response. I honestly thought he handled the question, he's probably heard over 100 times, pretty well.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
More than once, Paul has told me that there's one difference between the two of us: "I only have 80% of the people who think they can do MY job better than me."

The direction this thread has turned makes that even funnier. :)

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has his doctorate in option football and we are just in grade school trying to learn, or at least I know I am. The more I watch, the more I learn, and then the more I appreciate him. End of story.

Grade school? I don't know about anyone else, but when it come to football 'X's and 'O's, I'm still hoping Mommy and Daddy get me into a good pre-K program...

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to hear an actual answer to the callers question, but there is no way you are going to hear it on a radio show.

My guess...Coach would love to put in some short passing but we only have so much practice time available, and this year injuries have impacted what we can work on week to week. If you are getting new guys reps every week because someone was injured you are going to spend that time on the base offense, not "extra" stuff. That's my theory anyway...the evidence is in our execution of pass plays.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Three Things:
1) we accomplish with other plays (like rocket toss) what others do with short passes
2) we're not blocking/ catching well enough
3) short passes are more difficult for short qbs (seeing over/getting passes over taller OL when passing lane isn't there, see 2)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Three Things:
1) we accomplish with other plays (like rocket toss) what others do with short passes
3) short passes are more difficult for short qbs (seeing over/getting passes over taller OL when passing lane isn't there, see 2)
Well, you do know that our short QB is 5-11, right? Right?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Three Things:
To your first point, not exactly. A completed forward pass across the line of scrimmage is an automatic gain in yards.