Radio Show

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
JT is more like 5'09" me thinks. He can still get it done but he's short.
If Thomas, bless his heart, is 5-9, Blackbeard shaved with Barbasol. I have wondered often why in the world coaches do this, because they are not fooling other teams or coaches. Just a glance at Thomas at a coin toss will tell the tale. So it can't possibly be for competitive advantage, though perhaps Johnson is in fact like every other football coach, delusional. More likely I think they do it once and can't figure out how to back out of the ditch. But I've never thought Thomas missing open downfield throws had anything to do with his arm. He just can't see them very well in the melee.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Most people include screens within their use of short-passing game.
You forgot the flat pass. ;) My point is that a rocket toss starts behind the LOS every time and has the chance to be blown up for no gain or a loss. It does not replace/equal a comprehensive short passing game by a long shot. Hitches, quick outs, slants, drags all guarantee you positive yards if caught, rocket tosses do not.

The ironic thing is we actually have all those routes in our offense, we just haven't seen much of them lately. I think that speaks more to the personnel on the field than the guy standing on the sideline calling the plays.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You forgot the flat pass. ;) My point is that a rocket toss starts behind the LOS every time and has the chance to be blown up for no gain or a loss.
And a quarterback dropping back has the potential to be blown up for a sack, or I don't know, tipped behind the LOS and then intercepted. Every play can be blown up, short passes are not immune.
Also, slants into a d with 8-9 in the box seems pretty dangerous to me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And a quarterback dropping back has the potential to be blown up for a sack, or I don't know, tipped behind the LOS and then intercepted. Every play can be blown up, short passes are not immune.
Also, slants into a d with 8-9 in the box seems pretty dangerous to me.
Without seeming to get into the unwinnable struggle of good vs. evil -- short passes are good and we got to have some -- I am pretty sure that having a small QB throw over the middle through a bunch of redwoods is a really bad idea.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love to hear an actual answer to the callers question, but there is no way you are going to hear it on a radio show.

My guess...Coach would love to put in some short passing but we only have so much practice time available, and this year injuries have impacted what we can work on week to week. If you are getting new guys reps every week because someone was injured you are going to spend that time on the base offense, not "extra" stuff. That's my theory anyway...the evidence is in our execution of pass plays.

I'm actually not too sure about that. I've heard him say on a few occasions (paraphrased) "when we throw, we want to make it count".

He loves the deep ball to keep the DBs from crashing the option and to try to open up the smoke route outside when he has a WR he trusts to run it.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Alright, I've been glancing through this thing without commenting. I guess I'll speak up.

I found Paul's response rude and mean spirited. I bugged me throughout the rest of the show. However, I understand the situation. The caller did a poor job of asking the question. He led in with "the offense has become predictable." That is waving the red flag in the bull's face. I agree with the point above; from PJ's point of you, fans understand his offense and his play calling on such a shallow level that it might take him the rest of the night to explain why he wasn't calling short passes. Another point which I'm sure was on his mind was we won the damn game. Why would a fan pick at him when we won? And of course he has been asked the question multiple times. He probably wonders why fans keep asking stuff he has answered several times already. Still, I wish he hadn't been quite so in the guy's face.

Someone should have some fun with this next week. Call up, say you called last week about the short passes, ask coach if he got the ones you sent him and if he plans to use them against VT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
GT attempted a screen pass against FSU. Went for an interception as I recall...
Yes, have a 5:10 guy pass over a 6:5 5star lb to a 5:10 back. Better uey have the qb and ab not move to get a passing angle. Play looked good in 2 dimensions.

Qb dropping deep and firing swing psss way better

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
Screw short passes. Someone send him this. Touchdown every time, 100%.

pass.png

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of long passes--
I made a comment before ND game on a long pass from an aback in split in the slot(I saw the setup in Tulane game) wondering why we don't use it more.I thought he could blow by the cheating safety if it looked like he was going to block him then cut away..
well durn if don't try it exactly in the ND game. What happened you ask.? Well, incomplete.Why,you ask.? First I don't think our Abacks are that fast except for Snoddy .Next , you got to evade the safety,as their guy bumped our guy off-stride (smart-as opposed to Griffin who let the Pitt WR blow by him for 46 yd play). Thirdly, JT is not a great long passer ESPECIALLY with little time which he normally has. So incomplete. But we have GOT to run that play more ,,it will work if run correctly I believe.