Radio Show

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Every fan has questioned their team's HC and his/her coaching philosophy at some point. Its human nature. I'm sure CPJ doesn't mean to be rude in the manner of his response but you kinda have to look at it from his stand point. He has been coaching for almost 4 decades.

Don't you think he knows what he is doing by now? So when a fan calls in and suggests hey why not try "this" it can inadvertently come across as an insult of CPJ's football knowledge.

Not to mention he had the same exact question posed 2 call in shows prior to this one. We have ran and completed slant/crossing routes. We do it. We may not do it enough??? But we do it.
IIRC, not only was the same question posed in a prior show but that previous call also came from the St. Mary's area. Maybe coincidence but could be the same caller.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer....

Does everyone in society need to be treated with kid gloves? Is sarcasm out of bounds now? (Don't tell my wife...she won't have much to say to me anymore)...Mommy that man used sarcasm and hurt my feelings......I hope we are not becoming such a nation of wusses but I fear we are.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
He's probably heard that question 40 billion times, yeah, but I agree with you, I don't like his reaction. He doesn't want to say "Our qb is too short, our OL can't pass protect, our runningbacks absolutely suck at pass pro, our receivers can't get open in one-on-one on the outside, whadaya expect over the middle, etc, etc, etc...."

Our best bet, imo, is the outlet pass to the Bback like the ones to Skov at ND. We also have the smoke route but for some reason have went away from it this year. Our last few attempts at screen passes have been horrendous.

We used to do a delayed drag across the middle with the Aback, remember the game winner vs Ga Southern? Maybe that play just takes too long with the guys we have now.

Didn't Skov hit a couple of those against ND as well? As I recall, even the color announcer during that game kept questioning why we didn't see more of that as it was working so well.
It makes sense to me that, if the LBs are going to either spy JT or come on a delayed blitz when we show pass, then that area of the field is vacated and is ripe for that quick pass to the Aback. And to add to that, I recall Tracy Ham running that very play in the GA southern offense A LOT when CPJ was there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Johnson once again belittles a Tech fan on his call in show. Someone called in from St Mary's and very nicely asked Johnson if might consider putting in a short over the middle pass to slow down some of the opponents rush. In typical fashion Johnson says "why don't you draw that play up and mail it to me." Well that answer drew some knee slapping laughs from the audience, andI can only assume that Johnson put on that smirky briar eating grin like he had really said something funny. Some fans think that those reactions and statements might be hilarious, but I think they turn off most Tech fans, as well as sidewalk fans. In my opinion I believe he hurts his own cause and embarrass the football program. Believe me, the program needs all the fans it can get as well as good publicity. JMO folks.
Lemme just take a wild guess here: so you don't like Paul Johnson?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Every fan has questioned their team's HC and his/her coaching philosophy at some point. Its human nature. I'm sure CPJ doesn't mean to be rude in the manner of his response but you kinda have to look at it from his stand point. He has been coaching for almost 4 decades.

Don't you think he knows what he is doing by now? So when a fan calls in and suggests hey why not try "this" it can inadvertently come across as an insult of CPJ's football knowledge.

Not to mention he had the same exact question posed 2 call in shows prior to this one. We have ran and completed slant/crossing routes. We do it. We may not do it enough??? But we do it.
I don't think Johnson needs defending and if so there are some better than me for it, but he has said at least several thousand times, world without end, that if he wanted five or six yards he could run for that and he was not gonna dink the ball up the field. It is his philosophy, comes with the coach. Take one, take all.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only comment is that I would prefer CPJ answer honestly and with a genuine explanation. The sarcasm is human and I am not all that upset by it, but I do think I would prefer the more calm response I mentioned. And I think it would be more helpful to the majority of fans who are NOT well schooled on fundamentals and have no idea why short passes aren't good in our offense. Just my opinion, of course. CPJ is making more money than I am right now, so I suspect he's doing something right....

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I think what made me realize that I can't question every play call that didn't turn out well aside from the obvious "hindsight is 20/20" reasoning is that no team can be omnipotent. As fans, we're so used to seeing so many different plays and playbooks being run by so many different teams that we mistakenly assume every team can run every play in everyone's playbook at any given week of a season.

There is a finite amount of time in a week to prepare for the next game which means there's a finite period of time for game planning then practicing/repping the gameplan. I don't care how smart your team is; there's only a finite number of plays that they can remember how to run and even a smaller number of plays that they can remember to run well. You can't possibly rep every play in our playbook every week nevermind someone else's playbook.

I'd prefer to look at a failed play and try to understand why it was called and why it failed rather than just use hindsight to assume I would've made a better decision had I been the play caller. If it was that easy, we'd all be head coaches.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson once again belittles a Tech fan on his call in show. Someone called in from St Mary's and very nicely asked Johnson if might consider putting in a short over the middle pass to slow down some of the opponents rush. In typical fashion Johnson says "why don't you draw that play up and mail it to me." Well that answer drew some knee slapping laughs from the audience, andI can only assume that Johnson put on that smirky briar eating grin like he had really said something funny. Some fans think that those reactions and statements might be hilarious, but I think they turn off most Tech fans, as well as sidewalk fans. In my opinion I believe he hurts his own cause and embarrass the football program. Believe me, the program needs all the fans it can get as well as good publicity. JMO folks.

While the shows are not scripted, there is a producer that screens the calls for two reasons; 1) to help prepare the host & coach for what is about to be asked and 2) to ensure that the question is keeping with the show's narrative which is promoting GT football - not second guessing CPJ. Remember this is entertainment not journalism.

When a caller tells the screener one thing and then goes off on another tangent, the entire rhythm of the show is disrupted - no matter how "nicely" the question is put. I believe that the caller lied to the screener and never would have gotten on the air if he stated he wanted to ask that question - listen to how the caller phrases what he says. I also believe that the question was designed to aggravate CPJ, the caller was trying to egg CPJ on - however "nice" it sounded. To me that question was no better than the dwag that called in a few years ago and barked.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My only comment is that I would prefer CPJ answer honestly and with a genuine explanation. The sarcasm is human and I am not all that upset by it, but I do think I would prefer the more calm response I mentioned. And I think it would be more helpful to the majority of fans who are NOT well schooled on fundamentals and have no idea why short passes aren't good in our offense. Just my opinion, of course. CPJ is making more money than I am right now, so I suspect he's doing something right....

You should listen to jimbo fisher's show. He is so glibe and smooth in the play review = little johnny got slightly out of position and they scored a td or thanks u mr caller for suggesting we use more flare passes like we did a few games ago _ really good suggestion _ wS talking to coaches about that very thing and they said we would have but old buzz the tight end was feeling bad. Totally polite. Then show is over.
Wife watched and said coach johnson is 100% genuine and while fisher may be he sounds plastic.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
He usually makes a wise crack then goes on to answer the question... most of the time. I still wish he wouldn't do it as it discourages average joe fans from calling in. Rather, I wish he'd explain what exactly it is we try to do or why it's difficult to pass over the middle with our current players or even with his scheme.
Or he could just say its not something we're good at so we stay away from it.
This makes good sense too dressed .

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think what made me realize that I can't question every play call that didn't turn out well aside from the obvious "hindsight is 20/20" reasoning is that no team can be omnipotent. As fans, we're so used to seeing so many different plays and playbooks being run by so many different teams that we mistakenly assume every team can run every play in everyone's playbook at any given week of a season.

There is a finite amount of time in a week to prepare for the next game which means there's a finite period of time for game planning then practicing/repping the gameplan. I don't care how smart your team is; there's only a finite number of plays that they can remember how to run and even a smaller number of plays that they can remember to run well. You can't possibly rep every play in our playbook every week nevermind someone else's playbook.

I'd prefer to look at a failed play and try to understand why it was called and why it failed rather than just use hindsight to assume I would've made a better decision had I been the play caller. If it was that easy, we'd all be head coaches.
This is probably the best response of all, and one I've come to agree with the older I've gotten. Particularly now that we can slow things down with the DVR, you can see where the mistake is oftentimes. Just because the play didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't the right call.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is probably the best response of all, and one I've come to agree with the older I've gotten. Particularly now that we can slow things down with the DVR, you can see where the mistake is oftentimes. Just because the play didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't the right call.
Yes. How easily we forget sometimes that the guys on the other side of the line are scholarship athletes too. There is a reason they are playing.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish those of you not there could've heard the collective "groan" that came from the audience as the caller was unfolding the supposed question. Folks in the room knew what the intent probably was...and what the response was going to be.

It'll never be an excuse when Paul is surly with someone. But-- you know what? We all know who Paul is by now. In fact, he is who he's always been. That caller didn't come across as an average Joe. He knew what he was doing. You may wish Paul would do something else sometimes, but there is a genuineness and honesty that is there even in the testy moments.

Nothing vanilla. Nothing fake. Honesty comes in being sure that what you say is true. Honesty doesn't require to you tell everything you know. Sometimes, Paul will decline to disclose for strategic reasons. Sometimes (despite his reputation) he will decline so as not to point out a shortcoming of an individual player.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wish those of you not there could've heard the collective "groan" that came from the audience as the caller was unfolding the supposed question. Folks in the room knew what the intent probably was...and what the response was going to be.

It'll never be an excuse when Paul is surly with someone. But-- you know what? We all know who Paul is by now. In fact, he is who he's always been. That caller didn't come across as an average Joe. He knew what he was doing. You may wish Paul would do something else sometimes, but there is a genuineness and honesty that is there even in the testy moments.

Nothing vanilla. Nothing fake. Honesty comes in being sure that what you say is true. Honesty doesn't require to you tell everything you know. Sometimes, Paul will decline to disclose for strategic reasons. Sometimes (despite his reputation) he will decline so as not to point out a shortcoming of an individual player.
I would dare say that most of the people listening to the radio knew the probable intent...and what the response was going to be. Haters are going to hate.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I would dare say that most of the people listening to the radio knew the probable intent...and what the response was going to be. Haters are going to hate.
I ventured over to the hater board today out of morbid curiosity. The win seems to have made them worse.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think Johnson needs defending and if so there are some better than me for it, but he has said at least several thousand times, world without end, that if he wanted five or six yards he could run for that and he was not gonna dink the ball up the field. It is his philosophy, comes with the coach. Take one, take all.
Great answer, IMHO. Didn't CPJ once say that three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them aren't good. I can think of four, even five things that can happen on a pass play and still only one of them is good. If you are going to take those kind of odds, make sure the payoff is worth it.