Quiet in here. Off season check in thread

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
We had three pitchers drafted into professional baseball this year. They all have high ceilings and were chosen because a major league organization believed they can each pitch at the pro level. I think we can agree that GT didn’t get the most out of three very talented arms. Not sure what the solution is but the problem seems to be development.
This horse has been beaten to death.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Hadn't seen this posted, but we officially have a new assistant hire:

I know these writeups are always geared to paint hires in the best light possible, but it does sound like a quality addition. I'm especially intrigued about how his old boss describes him as an expert on baserunning and different schemes to employ.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Hadn't seen this posted, but we officially have a new assistant hire:

I know these writeups are always geared to paint hires in the best light possible, but it does sound like a quality addition. I'm especially intrigued about how his old boss describes him as an expert on baserunning and different schemes to employ.
Wofford ran a lot in the past few years. They were 7th last season in stolen bases with 147 in 62 games.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
Wofford ran a lot in the past few years. They were 7th last season in stolen bases with 147 in 62 games.
That is an area I felt we didn't optimize last year. By my count we were 35 out of 36 in stolen base attempts in conference play + UGa and the NCAA tourney. I'm not saying get thrown out on purpose, but in my mind, if you are successful above 90%, you aren't running enough. Yunger and Green, in particular, should have been running more IMO.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That is an area I felt we didn't optimize last year. By my count we were 35 out of 36 in stolen base attempts in conference play + UGa and the NCAA tourney. I'm not saying get thrown out on purpose, but in my mind, if you are successful above 90%, you aren't running enough. Yunger and Green, in particular, should have been running more IMO.
I tend to agree. But with all the power in the lineup & general offensive potency ... the risk of running into outs. On the other hand it "feels" like we hit into a bunch of double plays too.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting video on the new scholarship limits brought about by the lawsuit (see bottom of post). To me it seems like this is going to have an enormous impact on the game starting with the 2026 season. For those not following, the highlights as I understand them...

1) A school can now offer up to 34 baseball scholarships, up from 11.7 these past 20 or so years.
2) Schools actually offering 34 scholarships is not likely because they are expensive and also Title IX requires that the scholarships be balanced between men's and women's sports.
3) Rosters will now be limited to 34. I THINK (not 100% certain) that they were at 40 last year, so that is a reduction of around 15%.
4) It is unknown at what date the 34 limit will be in place...will it be before fall ball starts or before the spring season starts?

Implications seem to include (IMO, of course):

1) More mid-level talent can potentially go to the higher level schools since those schools have more schollies to give out.
2) Each team will have 6 fewer players, so that is a bunch of players who are now at ACC and SEC schools but not playing who will instead be at schools like Georgia Southern, Wofford, Mercer, etc.
3) Maybe #2 above will reduce the frequency of players transferring out due to lack of playing time.
4) Public universities with lower cost of attendance will have an advantage over the private schools with higher cost of attendance.
5) If the 34 limit is prior to fall ball, coaches will need to be confident of what they are getting from a player before he arrives on campus. Means that they will probably not gamble on true freshmen, but rather focus on proven talent in years 2, 3, and 4, resulting in most non blue-chip freshman starting at the lower level schools and then transferring up after they have proven themselves.
6) If the 34 limit is prior to the spring season, we could see a handful of transfers out between fall and spring semester each season as players get cut from their desired school.

Anyone close enough to the program to know how our AD and coaches are thinking about this. This has all happened really fast. In the video, Kendall Rogers mentioned that he has talked to some head coaches who were, in his opinion, not understanding the implications of the new limits. Hopefully our coaching staff is not one of those. I would assume that CJR is all over this, hopefully I'm correct.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a very interesting topic and it has me wondering how it will affect Ga Tech. Do we have an added advantage because we can continue to utilize the Hope Scholarship to supplement our scholarships? I do think CDH and staff have done a pretty good job of talent evaluation when it comes to the transfer portal and if you agree with these analysts that this change is going to result in more transfers to complete your roster because they are more of a known quantity with their experience than incoming freshmen does that bode well for us in the future (and please don't turn this into Danny will be gone by then thread hijack). If that is the case look for the mid majors to get more of the talented high school players than they do now.

How would we fare if the conferences allow the teams to go to the full 34 scholarships? Do we have the donors to the program that would be willing to fund scholarships as opposed to NIL? I do believe it will take a combination of both to be able to compete with the big boys. I personally think this change will be a positive for us. What do the rest of you think?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I haven't been on GTSwarm for over a month since we were eliminated.

Won't bother with baseball till Hall is going / gone. Someone PM me when that is happening and I'll start following again.

Not bitter. Just resigned and have better things to do.

Same with me.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. Probably click bait.

At some point Hall (aka Methuselah) will be gone. I've been sucked into that false hope in the past. Not again. If Ramsey's move is announced, then more likely.
Kendall Rogers does not frivolously post these kind of things. I would be very surprised if it isn't true. I said it jokingly, but I think it is accurate. Everyone who would announce it is in Ireland.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kendall Rogers does not frivolously post these kind of things. I would be very surprised if it isn't true. I said it jokingly, but I think it is accurate. Everyone who would announce it is in Ireland.

Sure. We'll see. Eventually Hall will be gone.

Key and Stoudmire show the potential of replacing underperformers.