Quiet in here. Off season check in thread

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Camron Hill goes in the 8th round to the Phillies. Another one I expected to go and I hope he taps into his potential.

No recruits drafted on day 2 though so I feel like we should expect them to be on campus now.
This is big and may be why we saw portal entries. 5th ranked class if we can bring in the top guys we are looking at a top 3 class as Tennessee and Florida had guys drafted

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
This is big and may be why we saw portal entries. 5th ranked class if we can bring in the top guys we are looking at a top 3 class as Tennessee and Florida had guys drafted
Didn’t we have top ranked classes the past 3 years? Top 5 I believe in 2022

FittedJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Happy for Green and Hill…Hoping the recruiting class stays intact…remember how the draft works: pool money savings the last three rounds yesterday, can lead to overpays today..typically there will be Prep selections early today, so there is that. Hoping for a few more of our guys to get picked today or sign free agent deals after the draft. My guess is one more player gets drafted and two sign free agent deals.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Happy for Green and Hill…Hoping the recruiting class stays intact…remember how the draft works: pool money savings the last three rounds yesterday, can lead to overpays today..typically there will be Prep selections early today, so there is that. Hoping for a few more of our guys to get picked today or sign free agent deals after the draft. My guess is one more player gets drafted and two sign free agent deals.
I'm really hoping Ellis and Jones get drafted. They deserve it after their performances this year. And I really think that we are safe on Walker and Rogers. They are guys that would command over a million in a signing bonus. That usually doesn't happen on the 3rd day of the draft, but it is also not unheard of as you mentioned.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm really hoping Ellis and Jones get drafted. They deserve it after their performances this year. And I really think that we are safe on Walker and Rogers. They are guys that would command over a million in a signing bonus. That usually doesn't happen on the 3rd day of the draft, but it is also not unheard of as you mentioned.
I think both are too old to expect a team to use a pick on them. Both are already 23, and Ellis will be 24 in a couple weeks. Just as an example, that puts Jones the same age as Michael Harris, a year older than Hurston Waldrep, and 2 years older than AJ Smith-Shawver. Ellis, at 24 in 2 weeks, is older than Drake Baldwin, the Braves top catching prospect who is at AAA Gwinnett right now, and a full year older than Kevin Parada.

FittedJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Walker drafted

FittedJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hopefully they don't offer him enough. But at least it seems Rogers is safe

Edit: I just saw that it was 11th round so he is probably not going to make it to campus.
In the era of the 20 round draft these picks are too valuable not to sign. 99 percent are agreed to prior to the selection.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So the players drafted are Green, Hill, McGuire, and Brown with 2 recruits (Walker and Royer) being drafted as well. I don't think that I missed any other players.

So we still should get Rogers, Musci, Lippmann, Hernandez, Shouse, and Jeffries. That is some serious talent coming in and hopefully they live up to it along with the other freshmen coming in.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
So the players drafted are Green, Hill, McGuire, and Brown with 2 recruits (Walker and Royer) being drafted as well. I don't think that I missed any other players.

So we still should get Rogers, Musci, Lippmann, Hernandez, Shouse, and Jeffries. That is some serious talent coming in and hopefully they live up to it along with the other freshmen coming in.
We know what happens next. They will hit the portal to get “experience” and then blame the freshman for any type of slow start.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Boy, our position players are going to be young next year. I believe we only return Burress (CF), Brosius (RF), Kearse (3B) and Lackey (C) who played much last year. We bring in two good portal position players in Ladosi (SS) and Schmidt (3B). We add 3 top 100 HS position players, Rodgers (C), Schouse (SS, OF) and Hernandez (3B).

Maybe a line up of Rodgers C, Hernandez 3B, Ladosi SS, Kearse 2B, Schmidt 1B, Schouse LF, Burress CF, Brosius RF? Promising, but young and inexperienced, without much backup for injuries. Who am I missing?

Pitching seems to be even more speculative.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Boy, our position players are going to be young next year. I believe we only return Burress (CF), Brosius (RF), Kearse (3B) and Lackey (C) who played much last year. We bring in two good portal position players in Ladosi (SS) and Schmidt (3B). We add 3 top 100 HS position players, Rodgers (C), Schouse (SS, OF) and Hernandez (3B).

Maybe a line up of Rodgers C, Hernandez 3B, Ladosi SS, Kearse 2B, Schmidt 1B, Schouse LF, Burress CF, Brosius RF? Promising, but young and inexperienced, without much backup for injuries. Who am I missing?

Lackey will be the starting catcher. Geisler coming back for year 10 at 1B or 3B

THWG

Helluva Engineer

We also have Waugh coming in from the portal and I imagine that he will DH. To get Rogers in the lineup, he might have to play LF this year with Burress in CF and Brosius in RF. Then, the infield probably will be Schmidt, Lodise, Kerce, and Giesler with Lackey at Catcher. I bet Denby, Jeffries, and Neises find a way to get playing time too and Hernandez might be used at pitcher.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
We also have Waugh coming in from the portal and I imagine that he will DH. To get Rogers in the lineup, he might have to play LF this year with Burress in CF and Brosius in RF. Then, the infield probably will be Schmidt, Lodise, Kerce, and Giesler with Lackey at Catcher. I bet Denby, Jeffries, and Neises find a way to get playing time too and Hernandez might be used at pitcher.
OK, that helps. I had forgotten about Waugh and had no idea Giesler might be back. You are probably right about the freshmen. CDH doesn’t start many freshmen not named Burress, but Rogers may be another exception.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
In the past hour we've mentioned 14 position players who should get playing time next season. Since CFDH only plays about 11 position players by the time conference play starts, that means 3 of these mentioned will not see much action. And that assumes no more transfers are brought in. Unless these new guys are complete stiffs, I think our lineup will be fine.

Pitching on the other hand....do we have any other than McKee, Ballard, and Stanford? Hopefully we hit nearly 100% on these transfers coming in. And hopefully one or two of the incoming freshmen can hit the ground running. Who are the most likely from this group to give us good innings next season?