Quiet in here. Off season check in thread

THWG

Helluva Engineer
In the past hour we've mentioned 14 position players who should get playing time next season. Since CFDH only plays about 11 position players by the time conference play starts, that means 3 of these mentioned will not see much action. And that assumes no more transfers are brought in. Unless these new guys are complete stiffs, I think our lineup will be fine.

Pitching on the other hand....do we have any other than McKee, Ballard, and Stanford? Hopefully we hit nearly 100% on these transfers coming in. And hopefully one or two of the incoming freshmen can hit the ground running. Who are the most likely from this group to give us good innings next season?
From the freshmen, I would watch Musci and Lippman but there are a couple of others that are really intriguing as well. Hernandez, Angelakos, Chicoli, and Evans will be ones to watch too. This freshman class is very heavy on pitchers.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
How does Giesler have another year?
Wiley mentioned late in the season, either the Duke or FSU series, that Giesler was hoping to return next season. The 2020 season didn't count due to Covid. He must have redshirted in the 2021 season, and then played the 2022-2024 seasons, leaving one more year of eligibility.

Thankfully, IMO, after this year the Covid super seniors will be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
We also have Waugh coming in from the portal and I imagine that he will DH. To get Rogers in the lineup, he might have to play LF this year with Burress in CF and Brosius in RF. Then, the infield probably will be Schmidt, Lodise, Kerce, and Giesler with Lackey at Catcher. I bet Denby, Jeffries, and Neises find a way to get playing time too and Hernandez might be used at pitcher.
I would think Brosius would play LF in your scenrio. Usually if you are trying to "fit" a player in the outfield they play right. Especially in our stadium. If you look at our past outfields that is where we have usually played our non traditional outfielders.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
From the freshmen, I would watch Musci and Lippman but there are a couple of others that are really intriguing as well. Hernandez, Angelakos, Chicoli, and Evans will be ones to watch too. This freshman class is very heavy on pitchers.
Great pitchers are not coming to GT. We will struggle pitching again and likely be towards the bottom of the conference. Unless we get a couple proven P5 studs we are gambling like the past years. I also think Taylor is a bust, but I will stay open minded as he dives into year 2.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My confidence level in the GT baseball program (which I love) is at an all-time low.
Can’t win without pitchers. Not worried about our hitting.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
I would expect all four of the players for last year's team to sign. I would also expect Bo Walker to sign. The pitcher, Royer, going in the 20th round, I suspect that means he agreed to a certain bonus number before the selection was made, but not as certain on that one as the other 5.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I read an interesting article on d1baseball.com today. Basically says that Division 1 baseball is expected to settle on a roster limit of 32 to 35 players starting in 2025, but it's also expected to permit programs to offer full scholarships to everyone on their roster. Huge change from the 40 man roster and 11.7 scholarship limit in effect today.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I read an interesting article on d1baseball.com today. Basically says that Division 1 baseball is expected to settle on a roster limit of 32 to 35 players starting in 2025, but it's also expected to permit programs to offer full scholarships to everyone on their roster. Huge change from the 40 man roster and 11.7 scholarship limit in effect today.
Thanks, Cincy. I had not seen this. It seems like this would be a seismic step function change to the game, and will make our use of the Hope Scholarship less of a weapon.

BTW, anyone with inside info, is Hope still a big advantage for us, or has that changed in recent years? I used to hear it mentioned a lot, but can't say I've heard it mentioned at all the past few years.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks, Cincy. I had not seen this. It seems like this would be a seismic step function change to the game, and will make our use of the Hope Scholarship less of a weapon.

BTW, anyone with inside info, is Hope still a big advantage for us, or has that changed in recent years? I used to hear it mentioned a lot, but can't say I've heard it mentioned at all the past few years.
I don't have inside info, but I think it has lessened, as a lot of states or private schools have similar programs. I also think the change a while back to having .25 as the min amount lessened it's impact as well, or at least I rememeber hearing something like that.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I would think Brosius would play LF in your scenrio. Usually if you are trying to "fit" a player in the outfield they play right. Especially in our stadium. If you look at our past outfields that is where we have usually played our non traditional outfielders.
I'm not sure about this. Arm strength should also be a factor in who plays RF if the non traditional player has much weaker arm strength.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure about this. Arm strength should also be a factor in who plays RF if the non traditional player has much weaker arm strength.
I agree with this. Typically, if you're trying to hide someone in the outfield, they're in left. All these guys are athletes and left gets to most true ball flights. Right needs the guy who can go get that ball slicing towards the corner and make that throw to 3rd. Right is typically a really good defensive outfielder and left is where you put your Bobby Bonillas.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. Typically, if you're trying to hide someone in the outfield, they're in left. All these guys are athletes and left gets to most true ball flights. Right needs the guy who can go get that ball slicing towards the corner and make that throw to 3rd. Right is typically a really good defensive outfielder and left is where you put your Bobby Bonillas.
Barry Bonds played left field, and he was a superb fielder with an incredible arm. There have been plenty of excellent fielding left fielders with great arms, as well as poor fielding right fielders with weak arms. It depends more on the field than a blanket rule as is being suggested.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Barry Bonds played left field, and he was a superb fielder with an incredible arm. There have been plenty of excellent fielding left fielders with great arms, as well as poor fielding right fielders with weak arms. It depends more on the field than a blanket rule as is being suggested.
We can agree to disagree. You can find exceptions to every rule. LF is the weakest outfield position. 1st base is the weakest position on the field. Any light research will prove this out.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw where Walker signed with a $500,000 bonus. Maybe we can start to figure out on offense what the parts are for next year?
C - Lackey
1B - Schmidt (transfer)
INF - Kerce
INF - Lodise (transfer)
INF - Shouse (freshman)
INF - Hernandez (freshman)
OF - Burress
OF - Brosius
OF/C/Util - Rogers
C/DH - Waugh
1B/3B - Geisler?

That's at least 10 deep on contributors (11 if Geisler were back) plus a few other freshmen and a couple more returners. Lots of questions but still has some promise to me.

I have no idea on pitching. Best prediction I could make is a weekend rotation of McKee, a transfer, and a freshman but who knows at this point.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
I have no idea on pitching. Best prediction I could make is a weekend rotation of McKee, a transfer, and a freshman but who knows at this point.
I don’t think Taylor is around in 2026 if he is at the bottom of the ACC again. And it is not looking promising

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I saw where Walker signed with a $500,000 bonus. Maybe we can start to figure out on offense what the parts are for next year?
C - Lackey
1B - Schmidt (transfer)
INF - Kerce
INF - Lodise (transfer)
INF - Shouse (freshman)
INF - Hernandez (freshman)
OF - Burress
OF - Brosius
OF/C/Util - Rogers
C/DH - Waugh
1B/3B - Geisler?

That's at least 10 deep on contributors (11 if Geisler were back) plus a few other freshmen and a couple more returners. Lots of questions but still has some promise to me.

Jeffries would be another freshman that I would expect to get some time somewhere as well as the kid from Australia. And Neises gives us another lefty bat to fit into the lineup. It should be a really competitive fall.