Quick poll on the pulse of the fanbase....

Have you lost faith in CPJ?

• Total voters

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Too bad. Contrary to what the nay-sayers say, he's pretty straight-up, and accepts responsibility for everything that doesn't go right, every game. To be honest, he does so by throwing players and assistant coaches under the bus left and right—if, by "throwing under the bus", you mean his regular admissions that "we [i.e. the whole coaching staff, obviously including himself] didn't prepare the team as well as we could have". But, hey—why listen to (or believe) anything CPJ has to say, when there's an axe-grinder you agree with who is ready to crap on the coach with the particular scent of feces you personally know and love...

Also: you said, "But Paul Johnson sat in Vad Lee's living room and told him that..." Guess what? That's hearsay--and what's more, given that it came straight from Vad's living room, odds are it came from his own family, or someone partisan to Vad's cause. Doesn't mean any of us have to accept it as gospel. You yourself said that he was "getting a lot of words in his ear from people back home": if the people giving you the inside scoop about what was said in VL's living room are the people putting words in his ears, how can you ascribe selfless impartiality to them and imply that CPJ is the liar?

"Oooh—they don't have an agenda!" Rubbish. We don't get any opportunity to cross-examine your witness's motives to determine whether they are being impartial, or grinding an axe on behalf of their "favored son". Even if your source is being honest about his/her impressions, it doesn't mean that their recollection of the conversation is accurate, or that their understanding of what CPJ seemed to mean was, in fact, what he really meant: "opening up the offense" might have honestly meant very different things to both parties involved. CPJ might have done what he promised—as he saw it—and Vad may have just expected something else. I'm not blaming Vad, here; just saying they both might have interpreted the same "agreement" to mean a different thing. (But damn that CPJ—it's obviously all his fault!)

Please spare us the hearsay arguments that CPJ knowingly sold Vad a false bill of goods. Everything I know about the man says he would never do that—he cares far more for his players than most of us will ever realize. Given that you have apparently never spoken to the man in person, I'll stack my impression of Coach up against yours, any day.

LOL. OK, I'll be glad to keep my "hearsay arguments" to myself. But here's one for you. I've never spoken to Vad nor anyone else in his family. Nor have I spoken to his high school coach or any other friend, family member or relative of his. So keep thinking....perhaps there were other people in that room besides Coach Johnson and Vad's family/friends?

And also, you might want to work on your reading comprehension. I said I didn't listen to the coach's show...not that I never speak to the man in person. I don't listen to the coach's show because if I want to ask questions of the coaches, I generally do that in person. But, what the heck, I'll be glad to keep those conversations to myself.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I voted no; I still have confidence in CPJ. After looking at the performance of GT teams over the last 70 years, I don't think there is enough of an upside to let him go. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-odds-of-getting-a-better-coach-than-cpj.2524/ He continues to make enough changes to show that there is hope for better performance; for example in special teams, recruiting and defensive coordinators.

But my vote doesn't matter as I've written before. He will be renewed or not based on a business decision of whether there is enthusiasm in the program which would be increased by getting a new face. Firing the leader to get a fresh start is what happens in corporations and Government all the time, . Rarely does it make much difference in the long run, but gives the hope of change.

Getting rid of CPJ isn't change that I believe in. (tic)

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Point 1: Those weren't my words. To be clear. They were the words of a coach. So who do I think I'm kidding? No one.
Point 2: Again, those were words of a coach. I think he played poorly as well. If he had run for 350 yards, I still would think a player who turns the ball over 3 times didn't play well.
Point 3: Again, you're wrong. Just flat out wrong. The kid wasn't 'wanting to be doing something else' unless by 'doing something else' you mean more passing and less running plays, perhaps.

Look, I haven't posted this before and I hope doing so not isn't a breach of confidence. But Paul Johnson sat in Vad Lee's living room and told him that, if he had a passing QB, we would throw the ball more. And that's why Vad Lee came. Because he was under the impression that this was not going to be an offense that ran the ball 80 or 90% of the time. And FWIW, those words came from someone else who was in the room when Vad was told that.

At the end of the season last year, VL began to question the truth of those statements. He was getting a lot of words in his ear from people back home (family and HS coaches) who were urging him to go somewhere else where he might have a shot at throwing the ball more. Eventually, he decided to leave.

Personally, I think him leaving was the best for both parties. But let me be very clear about this. Vad Lee was NOT uncommitted to Georgia Tech nor to the team while he was the QB here. Was he the best option QB he could be? I have no idea. Did he turn "soft" running last year? It certainly appeared that way.

But this nonsense that keeps getting run out there about him not being committed during games last year is revisionist history. If you don't believe me, grow a set. Go up to Paul Johnson and ask him. Hell, call in to the coach's show on Thursday night and ask him. He will tell you that Vad busted his butt while he was here but eventually decided he wanted something different.

Now, that's behind us. Let's all move on and celebrate another talented QB named Justin Thomas. But let's also quit trashing a young man who I can guarantee you put more heart, blood, sweat and tears into his effort on the field for Georgia Tech than probably 99% of us on this board.
Agree with your take on Lee.A friend of mine who saw him play many times in HS said almost the same thing that.........the rock was going to be in the air and we all know it was not.Second no matter what happened Lee so far has not said a word about his time at Tech which in todays world is a good thing.Shows some class if you ask me.Third he will be to many the scapegoat of our offense if we play poorly mainly due to the fact that he is the qb and the qb is the nerve center of any offense.Fourth JT will get long leash as qb and I hope he does well for all of our sakes.Fifth from what I saw and from quotes of his teammates Vad was very committed to winning ballgames..Sorry he didnt but even though many will blame him there are ten others on offense who should share some blame.I admit I didnt think he would come to tech since PJ runs the option and Vad was more of a spread qb but he did the best he could and I wish him well in the new school

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well, you should prepare yourself for not being all in, because, sadly, we will be 6-6.
We may be but of course being the eternal tech fan I say eight and four.....if we play well.I think the big game is VT.We beata them and we can play with Miami and Clemson and GA........six and six would be a exit for PJ probably but again he may survive the storm.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
the issue at GT is GT and until GT fixes it you can insert the coaches name and have this discussion because we have all done it now for OVER A DECADE.

I feel finally, paul is doing the best he can within his system and his recruiting ability and that won't show for a few more years.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Agree with your take on Lee.A friend of mine who saw him play many times in HS said almost the same thing that.........the rock was going to be in the air and we all know it was not.Second no matter what happened Lee so far has not said a word about his time at Tech which in todays world is a good thing.Shows some class if you ask me.Third he will be to many the scapegoat of our offense if we play poorly mainly due to the fact that he is the qb and the qb is the nerve center of any offense.Fourth JT will get long leash as qb and I hope he does well for all of our sakes.Fifth from what I saw and from quotes of his teammates Vad was very committed to winning ballgames..Sorry he didnt but even though many will blame him there are ten others on offense who should share some blame.I admit I didnt think he would come to tech since PJ runs the option and Vad was more of a spread qb but he did the best he could and I wish him well in the new school
Agree with what you said. Vad is a great young man, from what I could tell, of his involvement at Tech. I too wish him the best in football and more importantly in his future life as he grows into maturity and future responsibilities.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@daBuzz I think there is a middle ground you are trying to out. I have no doubt that Vad worked very very hard at Tech and gave his all. I also think Paul tried to pass more and if passing was successful would have passed even more. The issue was the results on the field, versus the private conversations, versus the needs of the team, and what this coach knows best to teach and play.

Vad did spend his summer trying to get better at passing, there is no doubt about that work. How much did he spend working on the option, no one knows except the team. The team and or combination with Vad was not very successful at passing or even running the TO last year.

Vad left and that hurts a little and emotions take over. But the situation looked like he wanted to pass more than learn the TO and that is backed up by his leaving. Vad was committed to giving his best, but we are our at our best when we are doing the thing we want to do. This combination of Vad giving his all yet his heart is really for the passing game is the dichotomy and or blend that we saw on the field.

Vad is an awesome individual and I hope he becomes the player he wants to become. People need to realize Vad did what was best for the team and for him. The media makes it hard for you to let someone go or to leave gracefully.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just wanted to make this observation. We have 1610 members of this blog & there have only been 234 responses to this poll. It seems to be telling that only 14.5% of the members of a Georgia Tech blog have responded to poll about the Georgia Tech coach. Someone mentioned that they would have liked the choice of "Maybe" so it could be that some people did not respond because they were not prepared to answer a straight Yes or No.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just wanted to make this observation. We have 1610 members of this blog & there have only been 234 responses to this poll. It seems to be telling that only 14.5% of the members of a Georgia Tech blog have responded to poll about the Georgia Tech coach. Someone mentioned that they would have liked the choice of "Maybe" so it could be that some people did not respond because they were not prepared to answer a straight Yes or No.

of course it could also be only about 250 member regularly participate and visit this site?

Animal02

Banned
@daBuzz But the situation looked like he wanted to pass more than learn the TO and that is backed up by his leaving. Vad was committed to giving his best, but we are our at our best when we are doing the thing we want to do. This combination of Vad giving his all yet his heart is really for the passing game is the dichotomy and or blend that we saw on the field.

Exactly....Not buying into the system is completely different than giving 100% on the field. Option football is not about making great plays everytime.....it is about setting up defenses to exploit tendencies. When you haven't bought into the system and trust the system and you try to do your own thing "giving 100%" you do far more damage than good. JN and Tevin may not have been the greatest athletes.......but he understood the system and for the most part made it work. JT appears to be doing the same thing, as is TB.

I wish nothing but the best for Vad in his future endeavors.......but it is asinine to try to blame the coach for what was obviously a player issue.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i have said this before

Pauls system is what it is. I personally would tweak it. But its his system so for me i look at is he doing what he needs to to succeed here. And in most every facet, today he has. Lets look at it:

- He said he had no need for sp teams coord. We were bad. He hired one.
- He has switched DCs to optimize that side of the ball
- He runs more zone now than he did his first two years
- He is finally recruiting bigger linemen, because despite what he said his first 2 years about he can't use em, he realizes the size and physical need. This is also why he runs more zone
- He worked with the AD and school to get more recruiting resources
- He worked with the AD and school to finally get more recruiting leniency
- He repeatedly said we won't run gun at GT...yet we did...he tried it...
- He repeatedly in the past said hurry up is a double edge sword and he doesn't think he will do it. Yet, just wait, we have a package we will unleash at VT.

Bottom line...PAUL HAS GONE AGAINST WHAT HE PUBLICLY SAID HE WOULDN'T DO MANY TIMES....to try to improve. That takes humility, that takes retrospect and he is not stubborn.

For me, seeing this morph over 6 years has given me more confidence in him than last year or the year prior. It has because I am seeing this philosophy change help recruiting and on the lines etc. So I am good..I can LIVE with his system if he starts showing more and more results.

BTW, this year, if you look on offense, there are more athletes and game changers than ever under him. The fact is the WR core is really good. The AB are super fast and athletic and the QB can fly. I don't remember a full threat like this since Joe Ham, campbell, dez white, charlie rogers days....We have some serious playmakers...i hope they explode soon. I feel like this team offensively is on the edge of blowing up like Oregon...unstoppable.. They just need to relax, mature, get comfortable and get that confidence

I want to add. This team is a group of fighters. I don't think we have had that since 2009. maybe in 11 or 12 we did. But this group will battle. That means he hasn't lost the team. I think they like him and want to play for him and that is good. The chemistry is better. That is a big indication to me.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Noticed that Tulane's players were cramping left and right (little exaggeration). You would think it would be GT since Tulane practices in that environment daily. Bravo to the staff getting out guys prepared for the game and the conditions.
probably also helped a little to wear all white vs dark green unis

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
i have said this before

Pauls system is what it is. I personally would tweak it. But its his system so for me i look at is he doing what he needs to to succeed here. And in most every facet, today he has. Lets look at it:

- He is finally recruiting bigger linemen, because despite what he said his first 2 years about he can't use em, he realizes the size and physical need. This is also why he runs more zone
- He repeatedly in the past said hurry up is a double edge sword and he doesn't think he will do it. Yet, just wait, we have a package we will unleash at VT.

Bottom line...PAUL HAS GONE AGAINST WHAT HE PUBLICLY SAID HE WOULDN'T DO MANY TIMES....to try to improve. That takes humility, that takes retrospect and he is not stubborn.

For me, seeing this morph over 6 years has given me more confidence in him than last year or the year prior. It has because I am seeing this philosophy change help recruiting and on the lines etc. So I am good..I can LIVE with his system if he starts showing more and more results.

BTW, this year, if you look on offense, there are more athletes and game changers than ever under him. The fact is the WR core is really good. The AB are super fast and athletic and the QB can fly. I don't remember a full threat like this since Joe Ham, campbell, dez white, charlie rogers days....We have some serious playmakers...i hope they explode soon. I feel like this team offensively is on the edge of blowing up like Oregon...unstoppable.. They just need to relax, mature, get comfortable and get that confidence

I want to add. This team is a group of fighters. I don't think we have had that since 2009. maybe in 11 or 12 we did. But this group will battle. That means he hasn't lost the team. I think they like him and want to play for him and that is good. The chemistry is better. That is a big indication to me.
+1
Your last point is another reason why you keep him around for another year or two. This team is talented.. but young. Next year will be especially interesting, and we play some big games against FSU and ND. We've got some upward momentum here, and firing the guy would be counter-productive.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
+1
Your last point is another reason why you keep him around for another year or two. This team is talented.. but young. Next year will be especially interesting, and we play some big games against FSU and ND. We've got some upward momentum here, and firing the guy would be counter-productive.

Not to derail the thread...as if it hasn't already been...but is GT starting to become a "wait till..." team? At one time it was "Wait till CPJ gets his guys in", then "Wait until Chan's guys who aren't all in are gone", then "Wait until our OL is more mature", then "Wait until Vad/Justin are experienced", now it's becoming "Wait till CPJ's new recruiting strategy pays off". There are other "wait till..." but those have been the main ones.

For the record, I have NEVER heard CPJ make any excuses like the above. It's mainly been messageboarders and fans. CPJ has been in this business long enough to know the college game is about planning on how you overcome turnover because it's just the nature of the beast. In year 7 of a tenure I think "wait till..." shouldn't be used anymore.

i have said this before

I agree that making these changes that he has made does take humility. But it also takes being dead wrong on a whole laundry list of subjects to begin with. I like your prediction that we are ready to explode, but, man, I have seen nothing that makes me that optimistic. But I am glad that you have. I will be watching closely in the coming weeks hoping for the conflagration.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to derail the thread...as if it hasn't already been...but is GT starting to become a "wait till..." team? At one time it was "Wait till CPJ gets his guys in", then "Wait until Chan's guys who aren't all in are gone", then "Wait until our OL is more mature", then "Wait until Vad/Justin are experienced", now it's becoming "Wait till CPJ's new recruiting strategy pays off". There are other "wait till..." but those have been the main ones.

For the record, I have NEVER heard CPJ make any excuses like the above. It's mainly been messageboarders and fans. CPJ has been in this business long enough to know the college game is about planning on how you overcome turnover because it's just the nature of the beast. In year 7 of a tenure I think "wait till..." shouldn't be used anymore.
I get what you're saying and somewhat agree. However, I think there's legitimacy to the idea that a more experienced team = a better team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I get what you're saying and somewhat agree. However, I think there's legitimacy to the idea that a more experienced team = a better team.

I agree that an experienced team is more desirable than an inexperienced one. However, due to the window of eligibility in the college game, it's rare that experience from every unit on a football team is going to match up on a given year. Younger players have to step up every year. Even if you have experience it's a double edged sword because it means a lot of guys may graduate the following year and you're left to start the process over again. It's not a problem only GT is facing, even the factories are dealing with it. Just the nature of the college game.

The point I was trying to make is I would like to finally get to the point in our program where we can stop saying "Wait till..." and actually see the fruits of waiting.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I affirm the coach. Lest we forget, only 3 coaches have more total wins at GT than CPJ. He just passed O'Leary which leaves him only behind Heisman, Alexander and Dodd, albeit at a distance. Their win totals are double to triple his, but really only due to length of time on the watch. Alexander averaged 5 W's (26 yrs), the vaunted Heisman (16 yrs) and Dodd (22 yrs) averaged a little over 7, the very same as CPJ averages. I've watched games and coaches come and go since the Rogers era. Spread or no spread, pro-style or wishbone, SEC or independent or ACC, GT is competitive to a point and enjoys intermittent highs and suffers equal numbers of lows. Remember how the crowds murmured about the lack of scoring (19 pts per gm) produced by Chan's pro style offense? There are unique challenges to the head job at GT that make it a tough gig, always have been. I think CPJ is doing as well as can be expected all factors considered.

Alexander and Heisman didn't get 13-14 games a year. Of course they are going to average less wins per year. Nice try though.