Quick Lane Bowl Postgame Discussion

Animal02

Banned
It seems like we're in agreement here. In the interview I heard, he said "we'll run an offense that gives our guys the best chance to play on Sundays". I think "pro style" generally implies single back sets like what we saw under Gailey, but I could be wrong. I expect to see read options and RPOs out of shotgun, and I'm looking forward to it.
Running a system for the (maybe) 2% to move on to another level, to me, is beyond foolish.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Running a system for the (maybe) 2% to move on to another level, to me, is beyond foolish.

I usually agree with you, but here we'll diverge. It's hard to call Bama foolish when they're winning NCs at the rate they do.

The question, to me, is can you get enough talent to run the exact same system at a competitive level? We're about to find out.

Animal02

Banned
I usually agree with you, but here we'll diverge. It's hard to call Bama foolish when they're winning NCs at the rate they do.

The question, to me, is can you get enough talent to run the exact same system at a competitive level? We're about to find out.
The focus should be,
Winning the Coastal
Winning the ACC
Winning whatever games come after that...in every sport...if players move on to the next level, so be it. It should not be a prinary or secondary or third or fourth goal to act as a minor league for professional sports.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The focus should be,
Winning the Coastal
Winning the ACC
Winning whatever games come after that...in every sport...if players move on to the next level, so be it. It should not be a pro Mary or secondary or third or fourth goal to act as a minor league for professional sports.

Agree. But that still doesn't make the "pro style" system foolish by any means. If you want to get top talent into your system, then you need to run a system appealing to top talent.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I, for one, was very disappointed with the offensive play calling. Knowing this is the last time these guys were going to be running his offense, I was hoping the CPJ would create a medley of plays from his 30 years with the 3O (spread option), and open his whole playbook. I felt all the practices after the uga game should have been geared towards preparing for the Ga. Southern experience, the Hawai'i experience, the Navy experience, and the GT experience. We should have seen plays that these guys have never run before.

If you're going to go out, go out with a BANG! Like I sad, disappointed.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I, for one, was very disappointed with the offensive play calling. Knowing this is the last time these guys were going to be running his offense, I was hoping the CPJ would create a medley of plays from his 30 years with the 3O (spread option), and open his whole playbook. I felt all the practices after the uga game should have been geared towards preparing for the Ga. Southern experience, the Hawai'i experience, the Navy experience, and the GT experience. We should have seen plays that these guys have never run before.

If you're going to go out, go out with a BANG! Like I sad, disappointed.

Agreed. CPJ usually had at least one trick play up his sleeve too in bowl games but it was just more of the same: TM left, TM right, B-back, punt. No passing, nothing tricky, just QB keeper after QB keeper.

Personally, if I'm CPJ, I'm running at least one flea-flicker! Why the hell not? :cool:

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. CPJ usually had at least one trick play up his sleeve too in bowl games but it was just more of the same: TM left, TM right, B-back, punt. No passing, nothing tricky, just QB keeper after QB keeper.

Personally, if I'm CPJ, I'm running at least one flea-flicker! Why the hell not? :cool:
At some point, you have to give Minnesota credit for their defensive gameplan. I was frustrated throughout the game as well, but Paul didn’t call qb left, qb right, qb middle, qb backwards all game. Quon said after the game that their fronts confused us the entire time. Do I think he should’ve handed/pitched the ball countless times when it didn’t happen? Yes. But Paul wasn’t calling designed qb carri s all game. Nor has he over the last two years. It has been decisions made by the quarterback himself.

Am I sticking up for Paul? No. Am I putting down our qb? No. But the plays were not designed as they turned out. There were numerous factors involved.

At some point, you have to give Minnesota credit for their defensive gameplan. I was frustrated throughout the game as well, but Paul didn’t call qb left, qb right, qb middle, qb backwards all game. Quon said after the game that their fronts confused us the entire time. Do I think he should’ve handed/pitched the ball countless times when it didn’t happen? Yes. But Paul wasn’t calling designed qb carri s all game. Nor has he over the last two years. It has been decisions made by the quarterback himself.

Am I sticking up for Paul? No. Am I putting down our qb? No. But the plays were not designed as they turned out. There were numerous factors involved.
Not putting down Taquon, but I really think Tobias would have fared better.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
He has moves that Taquon can only dream of. I LOVED it when he spun his way out of a tackle and kept running.

The play calling was different with TO in the game, meaning that it was a much more in your face style. Blocking at the line was more effective b/c TO was essentially running sweeps and follows and on the defense faster = Less time needed for play development. With TM in the game there were more read related calls which gave TM more chances to mis reads or plays to breakdown. I agree he has moves but I think he looked better b/c he was trying to make them down the field as oppose to TM doing it off the option reads in the backfield.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Marshall was what Marshall has for two years: a halfback out of position because he can run the ball well. My biggest regret for Johnson is not so much that he went out kind of floundering to find the winning touch again, but that his last two years his signature offense, options on top of options, was put in deep freeze because he had no QB to make the reads and the pitches. I think it is correct that many of those "keepers" were option calls Marshall could not execute, so he just kept it and turned up. One time directly into three tacklers. I wish Johnson could have gone out optioning the football.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Marshall was what Marshall has for two years: a halfback out of position because he can run the ball well. My biggest regret for Johnson is not so much that he went out kind of floundering to find the winning touch again, but that his last two years his signature offense, options on top of options, was put in deep freeze because he had no QB to make the reads and the pitches. I think it is correct that many of those "keepers" were option calls Marshall could not execute, so he just kept it and turned up. One time directly into three tacklers. I wish Johnson could have gone out optioning the football.
Do not feel to sorry for him... He could have started Tobias, however he choose not to... He has always been loyal.... He asked Marshall to play QB, so he was sticking by Marshall... Everyone saw how the team played better with tobias, but CPJ decided to stay with Marshall until the end....

Animal02

Banned
Do not feel to sorry for him... He could have started Tobias, however he choose not to... He has always been loyal.... He asked Marshall to play QB, so he was sticking by Marshall... Everyone saw how the team played better with tobias, but CPJ decided to stay with Marshall until the end....
Yes....coaches deliberately play favorites instead of putting the best players in to win the game.:rolleyes: Just more BS from arm chair coaches that don't have a clue.

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan

The focus should be,
Winning the Coastal
Winning the ACC
Winning whatever games come after that...in every sport...if players move on to the next level, so be it. It should not be a prinary or secondary or third or fourth goal to act as a minor league for professional sports.

The players' number one priority is usually to get to the NFL regardless of whether that's a reasonable aspiration. Running a system that gives players a better (perceived) opportunity to do so should better align our the interests of the school with the interests if the recruits and (hypothetically) lead to landing more talented players .

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We probably win that game with TO...just my opinion. Doesn’t really matter...it’s just a lower tier bowl game.

...and coaches play favorites all the damn time. Not saying it’s right, but so do employers, parents, teachers, etc.

Johnson was loyal to a fault with Taquon. The kid is electric and made some huge plays and won some games for us...and I’ll always love him for it, but he’d be fourth on my list of CPJ’s five primary starting QBs. I just don’t think he ever ran it all that smoothly.

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
We probably win that game with TO...just my opinion. Doesn’t really matter...it’s just a lower tier bowl game.

...and coaches play favorites all the damn time. Not saying it’s right, but so do employers, parents, teachers, etc.

Johnson was loyal to a fault with Taquon. The kid is electric and made some huge plays and won some games for us...and I’ll always love him for it, but he’d be fourth on my list of CPJ’s five primary starting QBs. I just don’t think he ever ran it all that smoothly.

I don't recall Quan winning us any games. TO definitely should've been giveng some snaps earlier in this game and more throughout the year. It's really weird to me that he didn't.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree he was loyal to a fault, not only with players, particularly QBs, but with coaches. (I don't see how changing a DC improves your D substantially if all your position coaches are unchanged.) But I don't think he thought Tobias made the offense better consistently. I just can't see any coach accepting defeats because he likes player A personally more than player B. Way back in high school I once double-dated with a running back who whined he wasn't starting because the coach supposedly got a great deal on a car from the father of the guy who did start. I pointed to a cracked ankle -- actually, that is the doctor described it -- suffered from diving into a pile after his third fumble of the game. To me, the coach made the change two fumbles late.