Quick Lane Bowl Postgame Discussion

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Very sad for CPJ. Anybody that has negative things to say about him should shut up, leave him alone. I'll miss him, even if he infuriated me at times. He had a great career, and he deserved to go out better than that. Disappointed with the team.
What are you talking about? Johnson embarassed himself, his players, the school and the fans of Georgia Tech. He was the HC and with that responsibility he failed miserably to have the team ready to play!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I reiterate: Our biggest problem is size AND strength. We need a new approach in the weight room and more resources applied to recruiting to remedy this.
Well, you'll never hear me say we couldn't use stronger linemen or that we shouldn't put more resources into recruiting. Since we seem doomed to go back to a "push-and-dance" blocking style, having more bulk on the OL would certainly help. Next year we'll get automatically bigger on the DL with Glanton and Owens (probably) moving into starting roles. I still don't trust the eyeball test you are using to evaluate our talent. It's way too subjective.

I do agree about our LBs, but I don't think they were lacking strength. The problem there is speed. Again, you won't hear me calling for small, slow LBs either. And, again, the maturing of the players will take care of some of this. We also have a load of LBs coming in.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He stood a head taller than the rest of his offensive line.
I notice he's from OZ. My guess is that he's got Tongan noble ancestors. He's not outrageously big for that group of people.

I told this here before. A colleague of mine went to grad school at Basel in Switzerland. He got a work-study job as a janitor. They teamed him up with a Tongan prince who was also doing work-study there. The prince = 6'9" 450 and not a bit of blubber on him. David says that when they went to bars after work for a beer, the whole room would get real, real quiet.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, you'll never hear me say we couldn't use stronger linemen or that we shouldn't put more resources into recruiting. Since we seem doomed to go back to a "push-and-dance" blocking style, having more bulk on the OL would certainly help. Next year we'll get automatically bigger on the DL with Glanton and Owens (probably) moving into starting roles. I still don't trust the eyeball test you are using to evaluate our talent. It's way too subjective.

I do agree about our LBs, but I don't think they were lacking strength. The problem there is speed. Again, you won't hear me calling for small, slow LBs either. And, again, the maturing of the players will take care of some of this. We also have a load of LBs coming in.

New S&C guy just announced, Lewis Caralla from Buffalo. Hope he's as good as his hype. Change at S&C gives hope.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Was it ever disclosed why Charlie Thomas was suspended? Hopefully nothing than affects him heading towards 2019...

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
When has he ever said we're using a pro style offense? "Pre Style" and "something that looks more like what they run on Sundays" or "a system that maximizes our players' opportunities to go pro" are not necessarily the same thing .
He literally said those words in the interview, as far as I remember. It doesn't matter though, you can run RPO and call it "Pro Style". It didn't stop offensive players from Florida from getting drafted when Tebow was QB. Only thing that matters is the message. People used the TO against us, and he is clearly trying to turn that around. Agressively.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are at parity with most all P5 programs in terms of size, speed and strength. You think these guys don't live in the weight room. We just got our butt handed to us by a group of guys that wanted it more than we did.

Go Jackets!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I have to honestly say that was one of the best times I’ve had on a game day yet. I know we lost but I really enjoyed meeting as many fans as I did. Wish I could’ve met more! Hopefully we can pull something like that off again next year, whether it’s a home game, the Temple game or bowl game! Hopefully Detroit impressed everyone that made the trip. Thanks Animal! You did a hell of a job putting that together!

I have to honestly say that was one of the best times I’ve had on a game day yet. I know we lost but I really enjoyed meeting as many fans as I did. Wish I could’ve met more! Hopefully we can pull something like that off again next year, whether it’s a home game, the Temple game or bowl game! Hopefully Detroit impressed everyone that made the trip. Thanks Animal! You did a hell of a job putting that together!
It was great finally meeting you. Just wish you had worn "my" jacket. LOL

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
He literally said those words in the interview, as far as I remember. It doesn't matter though, you can run RPO and call it "Pro Style". It didn't stop offensive players from Florida from getting drafted when Tebow was QB. Only thing that matters is the message. People used the TO against us, and he is clearly trying to turn that around. Agressively.
It seems like we're in agreement here. In the interview I heard, he said "we'll run an offense that gives our guys the best chance to play on Sundays". I think "pro style" generally implies single back sets like what we saw under Gailey, but I could be wrong. I expect to see read options and RPOs out of shotgun, and I'm looking forward to it.