Question about recruiting

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure, getting some player matters but recruiting rankings were created to fill up the offseason. Back in the 70's and the 80's you might hear about one or two good players coming in but the rest you knew nothing about. Coaching and development out does recruiting. Give me a three star at 22 who I have built up over a 5 star freshman any day. That is why heavily senior laden teams win, as long as the coaching is there. Go back and Watch the 2006 ACCG. I promise you we had better stars than Wake Forest, but they had 18 seniors who were starters. Calvin Johnson was nothing that day.
Recruiting rankings aren't absolute but there's a pretty strong correlation between your recruiting ranking and your final ranking.
The 2006 game is not a good example, as we had Nix holding us back :)
I think the focus on recruiting by many of us is that Collins' was sold as a guy who would focus on recruiting and get us back to the top by bringing in higher ranked classes, vs trying to run a unique system. It's not irrational to try to figure out if our recruiting is improving and by how much . Rankings are the best measurement we have until the players show up

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
upload_2019-11-4_10-23-21-png.7116

I posted this in the other forum, it's from an article about who could benefit from the Willie Taggert firing ...

Recruiting rankings aren't absolute but there's a pretty strong correlation between your recruiting ranking and your final ranking.
The 2006 game is not a good example, as we had Nix holding us back :)
I think the focus on recruiting by many of us is that Collins' was sold as a guy who would focus on recruiting and get us back to the top by bringing in higher ranked classes, vs trying to run a unique system. It's not irrational to try to figure out if our recruiting is improving and by how much . Rankings are the best measurement we have until the players show up

So you said something about getting us back to the top. What does that mean? CPJ gave us multiple coastal wins and Orange bowls. No one since Dodd had done that. In my 50 years of Tech football CPJ took us higher than any coach in my life time. 1990 was just a perfect storm for us. Do you really believe we can get to the playoff? What is back to the top...just curious.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This recruiting banter is foolishness on both parts. To say that we aren't recruiting better now than under CPJ is a falsehood. We are recruiting better, and the numbers empirically support that claim. To that effect, @Ibeeballin is absolutely correct.

To claim that the recruiting issue is solved is just being blind. We are not recruiting well enough yet to compete with the big boys on our schedule. While we are recruiting better, we aren't "better enough" yet to bridge the gap that currently divides us from uga and Clemson. (And before anyone points out the hurdles, this staff was hired to overcome those hurdles) We are going to have to start winning battles for 4* OL and DL soon to start bridging that gap. Right now we have one DL and one OL rated at 5.7. 2 OL rated at 5.6, and all other OL/DL rated 5.5 or lower. Those numbers are not any different than the CPJ years, so in that essence, @Coloradojacket is also correct.

I believe, whether rightly or wrongly, that CGC will be able to get our recruiting moved into the area we need, but like the offense, it will take a couple of seasons to see those results. We will also know better in a season or two how capable this staff is at identifying and developing under the radar talent. In the meantime, bemoaning this recruiting class or overselling its "improvement" are both, IMO, fools errands. We will see in a couple of years where we are and until then, GO JACKETS!!!

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
So you said something about getting us back to the top. What does that mean? CPJ gave us multiple coastal wins and Orange bowls. No one since Dodd had done that. In my 50 years of Tech football CPJ took us higher than any coach in my life time. 1990 was just a perfect storm for us. Do you really believe we can get to the playoff? What is back to the top...just curious.
No slight on PJ intended. Back on top as in where PJ had us a few years ago. My point was that Collins approach was supposed to be more 'Jimmys and Joes' than 'Xs and Os' unlike PJ, and thus the closer attention paid to the recruiting class. We pretty much knew where PJ would land in the rankings; and that it mattered less to him because he had a unique system

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
upload_2019-11-4_10-23-21-png.7116

I posted this in the other forum, it's from an article about who could benefit from the Willie Taggert firing ...

I went to the Colquitt vs. Grayson game in Moultrie to see Ryan King play but he sat out due to injury. There was one guy who stood out to me and passed the eye test. When I got home, I looked him up. It was Carter Boatright. From the stands, he looked taller and stronger than anyone else on the field that night. Colquitt used him as a wing tight-end ( if there is such s thing) and there was nothing he didn’t catch that was thrown his way.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Biggest difference in recruiting so far is were getting priority 3 star players. It's not just guys to fill out our roster. Also we have a good many recruits with factory offers.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins hasn’t even had one full recruiting cycle yet to his name at GT. He got Griffin in just a few weeks after being hired. And we will all be loving Griffin once the OLine gets fixed. So far this year, Collins has the highest ranked GT class in a long time. The 2021 class will be better. He’s doing exactly what he was hired to do. The wins will come.