Question about recruiting

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
You have to also look at who actually stays too. Mullen basically came out and said he took non-qualifiers last class at Florida to artificially boost the profile of the class. He knew they wouldn't get in but it made other recruits and people talk about the class because it doesn't effect rankings if kids can't get in, you still get a boost.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
We can't sell out our stadium without UGA coming to town.

I didn't see a section that wasn't a Penn State section last night.

We will always have the other schools colors spread out in our stadium.

White outs or gold outs don't look the same when you have orange or red all over the place.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Memphis is hardly considered in the state of Tennessee so university of Memphis is the step child. Vandy is a special case. Very popular in Nashville but they have been so bad in football so long that nobody cares much. Their fan base also is small and a lot alums leave the state. Not many sidewalk fans. Those are UT fans.
Vandy’s popular from about the north edge of campus down I-65 to Franklin, southwest into Belle Meade. They’re really not sports fans, but they do like baseball a lot and basketball sometimes.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
they are the biggest school in the state, de facto number one. It’s where all the cool kids (non recruits) want to go. Recruits growing up see their logo everywhere, they’re the school with all the media coverage and glory. Helps that the in state alternative is private school Vandy.

Yeah. But the exposure doesn’t help with out of state recruits which is what they will have to build their program around if they want to succeed. I think GT can compete with UT for Ga kids. We will have to if we want to be successful.

We can't sell out our stadium without UGA coming to town.

I didn't see a section that wasn't a Penn State section last night.

We will always have the other schools colors spread out in our stadium.

White outs or gold outs don't look the same when you have orange or red all over the place.
That's no reason not to have them. Win more games on a consistent basis so that we are competitive with those other teams, and we will fill our share of the stadium. It's happened in the past; there's no reason why it can't and won't happen again. So the more we wear gold (or white) now, the more there will be of those colors when we do retake possession of our stadium. Regarding the Penn State game, you know there had to be a Michigan section somewhere there, but it was obviously small and never shown on the tube.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I saw this elsewhere a couple months ago, but a recruiting expert was asked about the most important things for elite recruits. It's one guy's opinion, but the top three (in order) went something like this:
  1. Recent NFL draft picks. Have you and your coaches gotten guys into the league recently? This is why Collins' media team makes it a point to point out all the DBs he's put into the NFL and you can see the effect it's had on the guys we have committed and who transferred in.
  2. Relationships with coaches and program stability. This is where you see the same schools recruit well no matter what, because the public perception of their program is that they're very stable and they could be "back" at any time.
  3. Playing time. Pretty self-explanatory in terms of its appeal.
After those, all the other things (stadium size, cool uniforms, facilities, etc.) help sway opinion, but they're not the reason anybody will choose your school. Then overall brand is there just to get your foot in the door and grab the attention of the players, though academics can be big with certain recruits or their parents. Regarding the first point, FSU has 32 players in the league (6th most) and Tennessee has 24 (17th most). That and the fact that the public perception of them every offseason is that "this year could be the year" keep them afloat at recruiting.

That being said, you cannot just recruit the best players and get top 10 classes and hope for the best. You need class balance to be successful on the field and a lot of time your class can be artificially boosted by certain position groups. As someone else mentioned, that's what plagued UGA under Richt. He recruited certain positions heavily to chase high rankings and support from boosters, but he was largely deficient on recruiting OL. The same thing happened with Jimbo late at FSU and they're still paying for it. Fortunately, what I'm seeing from Collins is we're actively turning away certain 4* players to work on filling our needs at DT. He isn't trying to artificially boost our rankings by taking any and everybody, he's working on class balance. That's encouraging.

But what about all my white jerseys I like to wear. If we’re going to wear gold to the games, the team needs to wear gold jerseys as part of their home uniform. I say every game should be a white out.
Why should the color you wear in the stands match the jerseys? Did you see the Penn State game? The team wore blue jerseys and white pants. Everybody in the stand wore white.

White is first so it’s the real team color obviously. When they start wearing gold jerseys, I’ll get some new gold ones to wear.
Once again I say that Penn State's colors are BLUE and white, and the team wore blue jerseys last night, while the fans wore white. So blue, according to your "logic" is the "real" team color. Why do you refuse to see that dichotomy of thinking on your part? Sadder though is the fact that even if our fans wore white for the games, only a fraction of them would, just as only a fraction do now for official White-out games. Why must Tech fans be so obstinate in wearing colors that match the school colors? Instead they show up wearing whatever they pull out of the closet on game days. SAD !!!!

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Once again I say that Penn State's colors are BLUE and white, and the team wore blue jerseys last night, while the fans wore white. So blue, according to your "logic" is the "real" team color. Why do you refuse to see that dichotomy of thinking on your part? Sadder though is the fact that even if our fans wore white for the games, only a fraction of them would, just as only a fraction do now for official White-out games. Why must Tech fans be so obstinate in wearing colors that match the school colors? Instead they show up wearing whatever they pull out of the closet on game days. SAD !!!!
Exactly right. Penn State's colors are BLUE and white, and the team wore blue jerseys last night, while the fans wore white. So blue, is the "real" team color. I’m not a Penn State expert but I bet the fans wear blue colors except for their special white out night.

Why the administration keeps pushing the stupid white outs I’ll never understand.

We are the opposite of them. So white is our normal color except when we should do a special gold out. I see that I can never convince some of you of the error of your ways so I’ll let you have the final word.

Why the administration keeps pushing the stupid white outs I’ll never understand.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It seems like there is very high correlation between a win on Saturday and uniform discussions. I may track this going forward. I expect to see a r value of around .9 or so. Scoff if you will, but I correctly picked the Jackets in the last prediction contest!;)

Exactly right. Penn State's colors are BLUE and white, and the team wore blue jerseys last night, while the fans wore white. So blue, is the "real" team color. I’m not a Penn State expert but I bet the fans wear blue colors except for their special white out night.

We are the opposite of them. So white is our normal color except when we should do a special gold out. I see that I can never convince some of you of the error of your ways so I’ll let you have the final word.

Although certainly not to the degree I saw last night, the only colors I ever notice the PSU fans wearing are white. They do not, to my knowledge, wear blue anywhere near to the degree you would suggest.
Although white is obviously the first color named or our two primary colors, the fact remains that we are the Yellow Jackets, that name first coming from the yellow jackets that the male fans wore in the 1890s. Buzz is yellow and black. The Ramblin' 'Reck is gold. Obviously gold and yellow are not the same, but they are in the same relative color grouping. If anything, in honor of tradition, if nothing else, Tech fans should wear yellow to the games, and, in fact, until last year's release of an "official gold" shirt, all my Tech shirts were yellow. Other than for designated white-out games, I NEVER wear anything other than gold or yellow to games.

It seems like there is very high correlation between a win on Saturday and uniform discussions. I may track this going forward. I expect to see a r value of around .9 or so. Scoff if you will, but I correctly picked the Jackets in the last prediction contest!;)
I don't think there is any correlation at all between yesterday's win and the uniforms. The team and coaches as a whole came to play, and they played to win. I would trust they would do that no matter what uniform they might be wearing. My original premise was that a united front by Tech fans on any ONE particular color would establish a "brand" of sorts to recruits, which would indicate to them the unity of the fans. They see it in Athens; they see it in Tuscaloosa; they see it at Clemson; they pretty much see it everywhere except at Tech. And that is sad.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think there is any correlation at all between yesterday's win and the uniforms. The team and coaches as a whole came to play, and they played to win. I would trust they would do that no matter what uniform they might be wearing. My original premise was that a united front by Tech fans on any ONE particular color would establish a "brand" of sorts to recruits, which would indicate to them the unity of the fans. They see it in Athens; they see it in Tuscaloosa; they see it at Clemson; they pretty much see it everywhere except at Tech. And that is sad.
You know what, I think you are right after all. I never thought about branding. Our new coach is all about branding and messaging. I never worried about that stuff before. I’ll try and find out from Coach Collins what we should wear. I’ll go with whatever he says helps his recruiting. If he says wear gold, I’ll go buy some gold shirts. He’s the branding expert after all.

You know what, I think you are right after all. I never thought about branding. Our new coach is all about branding and messaging. I never worried about that stuff before. I’ll try and find out from Coach Collins what we should wear. I’ll go with whatever he says helps his recruiting. If he says wear gold, I’ll go buy some gold shirts. He’s the branding expert after all.
Since he bragged about gold when he was first hired but wears virtually nothing but blue, I'm not sure what his idea of our brand might be.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm beginning to think that you guys are trying to convince yourselves that team performance is based on what fans where to games, or vice versa.