Quarterback Style

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Would you rather have a QB that is fast, quick, homerun hittter... Or would you rather have a game manager, strives within the system QB?

Of course the pinnacle would be to have the combination of the two in one QB, but this is how it appears at face value. Although a lot can change between now and game 1.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lots of variables.

1. Depends on the talent around the QB.
2. Is the home run hitter more susceptible to injury than the "game manager"? Having home run ability doesn't do you any good if you're constantly getting hurt (see Mike Vick in the NFL).
3. Who knows the offense better? If they both know the offense equally, you take the guy with the ability to make a big play on any given snap.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Play JT this year and he will be both for the next 2 years. Play Byerly and we will have 4 starting qbs in 4 years going into next season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Play JT this year and he will be both for the next 2 years. Play Byerly and we will have 4 starting qbs in 4 years going into next season.

I think JT will be the starter. CPJ knows the upside to JT (and I think upside is the reason he stuck with Vad last season), and everything else will fall into place with more reps. Like Bryan Cook said, you'd rather have someone with the ability to turn something into nothing because you can work on the rest.

That said, I do foresee Byerly playing a lot of snaps as well.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Agree but only to the extent that JT must WIN the job by being BETTER than Byerly, or, if they are about equal, then yeah, play JT more. Or if your team no longer has any goals to play for then at that time you can start to play for the future and your team will understand it is rebuilding time. That's legit.

I would never agree that--when there are legitimate goals left to play for--a lesser player with a high ceiling should be played over a guy who is a better player right now. Not only does that violate the integrity of competing for a position, but as a coach you'd also risk losing your team because they have been working their arses off year round to accomplish those goals. And then with those goals still in reach you are trot out some cat at QB who doesn't give you the best chance to win?

IMO you'd never see a D-1 coach do that. What you see more is a coach give a guy a series here and there where possible to help season the depth and build for the future.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Above all else, we need a qb who a) understands the offense, b) knows how to read defenses, c) makes correct decisions off those reads at a very high rate of accuracy and d) does not put the ball on the ground. If that describes a "game manager", then that's what we need. It's basic.

That said, we need a playmaker at the position to take the offense to the next level. Hopefully, JT is all the above. If Byerly can do all the stuff in the first paragraph better than JT, he should and will start in front of him.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I like both guys - a lot. I think we put a little to much emphasis on JT's natural ability. I think Tevin could put up a lot more yards than any of our current QBs because he was very skilled at the technical aspect of our offense. We like to look at JT's speed but if you compare that with Tevin's footwork, eye level, body position during the reads, and mesh control the comparison is heavy in Tevin's favor. Natural talent helps you recover from mistakes while great technique prevents you from making them in the first place. Play the person with the best technique and the yardage will rack up like interest on $100 million.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
It was said previously--if the OL doesn't get better(which will be a constant struggle)-neither QB will shine

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It was said previously--if the OL doesn't get better(which will be a constant struggle)-neither QB will shine
I think it also depends on what both the OL and the qb can become efficient at doing, hopefully it's the same stuff. The problem last year was we had an OL that was efficient at our base offense, they proved that the year before, but a qb who could not run it. We had to put in packages the qb could run, some what, and the OL had trouble with those.

Hopefully this year's OL and qb's can be efficient with the base offense. It all starts from there.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I thought you were going to say "Would you rather have a QB that is fast, quick, homerun hittter... Or would you rather have a bull who can break tackles and get tough yards?"

To me that's a question I would rather answer. And, that's kind of a related question to Byerly vs Thomas. Byerly isn't slow, he's just not fast ... not a lot different than Nesbitt in that department although Nesbitt was probably a lot more quick/athletic.

Again, I hope the question comes down to the one I typed above because if it doesn't, it means JT was a bust and Byerly got it by default. I'm hoping both guys become proficient at it (Thomas has farther to climb here) and that it's really a matter of which style you prefer, rather than one just not getting it.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I like both guys - a lot. I think we put a little to much emphasis on JT's natural ability. I think Tevin could put up a lot more yards than any of our current QBs because he was very skilled at the technical aspect of our offense. We like to look at JT's speed but if you compare that with Tevin's footwork, eye level, body position during the reads, and mesh control the comparison is heavy in Tevin's favor. Natural talent helps you recover from mistakes while great technique prevents you from making them in the first place. Play the person with the best technique and the yardage will rack up like interest on $100 million.

Tevin skilled? We lost to Middle Tennessee with that skill and put up a losing record vs BCS teams. Tevin was terrible, but better at the reads than the other qbs, although it was noted often that Tevin missed a lot of reads. Please, no more game managers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tevin skilled? We lost to Middle Tennessee with that skill and put up a losing record vs BCS teams. Tevin was terrible, but better at the reads than the other qbs, although it was noted often that Tevin missed a lot of reads. Please, no more game managers.
So the alltime leader in qb rushing td's for the ACC is terrible? OK. :rolleyes:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tevin hateters gonna hate irrashionally.

Trevin lost that game all by himself... It was like hey why should the other offensive players be on the field...it is all Tevin anyways.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So the alltime leader in qb rushing td's for the ACC is terrible? OK. :rolleyes:

@nodawgs said the QB was bad because of the MTSU game and the record against BCS competition. If he thinks TW was more responsible for those losses than our Defense, then I'm not sure what can be said to change his mind.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
If JT is not the starter then the buzz around the football program will be at an all time low in the CPJ era. Nothing against Byerly, but if JT is not the starter the future of Tech football looks very bleak with CPJ at the helm. If the Alabama 6A state champion QB who decommited from Alabama to come here can not win the starting job then maybe we should change the way we coach our players. Our best option QB was a player who wasn't even recruited by CPJ.

Also if the offensive line is worse than last year then we have very slim chances of making a bowl.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Yea because the defense giving up 49 points was completely Tevin's fault. :banghead: