Quaide update

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Do SAs medical bills get covered by the school? If they do are they only covered if the injury occurred during a related event like quaide? What about a guy like griffin who hurt himself playing bball on the side?

ctweimer

Georgia Tech Fan
Do SAs medical bills get covered by the school? If they do are they only covered if the injury occurred during a related event like quaide? What about a guy like griffin who hurt himself playing bball on the side?
I'm not sure if they get covered for injuries that occur outside of their sport but we didn't have to pay anything for Quaide's surgery

ctweimer

Georgia Tech Fan
How's the young man doing? We are all wishing him quick healing and a continued great attitude that he has shown so far.
He's doing well. He has been sleeping a lot and he said the meds don't help too much with the pain, but he's good at mentally blocking it out. They gave him one of those 3 wheeled scooters to make it easier to get around.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe if the injury was related to the sport played by the student (lifting, practice, game, etc.) the school pays. But, they likely seek coverage from the primary insurance of the athlete first (though they would cover all out of pocket not covered by insurance). In reality, the school probably extends that to other situations (i.e., Griffin) also, though I am not 100% on that. They certainly would be incentivized to do that, and my guess is that the incentives outweigh any other situation so that in almost all cases for all sports, the school absorbs the cost.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I believe if the injury was related to the sport played by the student (lifting, practice, game, etc.) the school pays. But, they likely seek coverage from the primary insurance of the athlete first (though they would cover all out of pocket not covered by insurance). In reality, the school probably extends that to other situations (i.e., Griffin) also, though I am not 100% on that. They certainly would be incentivized to do that, and my guess is that the incentives outweigh any other situation so that in almost all cases for all sports, the school absorbs the cost.
No clue myself, but there was a Gumbel piece on HBO I think it was, last night. The gist of it was that as long as they are in school the school feels obligated to pay. Once out, they are on their own and are covered by nothing, including workmen's comp.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
My daughter just had ACL surgery performed by Dr. X. She tore it during a cheerleading competition. GT covers whatever the primary insurance doesn't.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
He's doing well. He has been sleeping a lot and he said the meds don't help too much with the pain, but he's good at mentally blocking it out. They gave him one of those 3 wheeled scooters to make it easier to get around.
Gamer!!! :)(y):joyful::nurse:

Please send him our continuing best.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Please add my voice to those hoping that Quaide will be feeling better soon. I hope he's up to speed and feeling his normal self not only for football, but for life.

ctweimer

Georgia Tech Fan
Quaide said to let you all know that the good wishes mean a lot. He can't wait to get back out on the field and is doing everything he can to get back as soon as possible.

His twitter handle is @quaidew for anyone who wants to tweet him. I'm sure he'll enjoy hearing from you guys because this has to be a tough time for him even though he won't show it.