Quaide update

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If it's a CT scan, its a bone in his foot. If it's broken he needs surgery to fix it. Hope it's just a sprain in there and he's back for fall

ctweimer

Georgia Tech Fan
Quaide will appreciate all of your kind words. The x-ray didn't show any fractures but we just have to wait until tomorrow to hear the results for the CT scan.

He injured his foot at the beginning of the last drive on Saturday and then finished it out. My parents both went and said he played well and had a few really good runs right after it happened. I'm sure continuing to play on it really didn't help.

He's going to be in good hands so all we can do is just stay positive.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Quaide will appreciate all of your kind words. The x-ray didn't show any fractures but we just have to wait until tomorrow to hear the results for the CT scan.

He injured his foot at the beginning of the last drive on Saturday and then finished it out. My parents both went and said he played well and had a few really good runs right after it happened. I'm sure continuing to play on it really didn't help.

That's encouraging. I hope he's better soon.

He is in good hands. Jay Shoop and the medical staff are good people. I believe they not only do a good job, they're also a class act as human beings.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think people seem to understand, but I want to emphasize that even if some of us do have access to injury information--I like the culture here that respects Georgia Tech's control of the public release of those details. Which is to say, they don't tell a whole lot.

Between the strategic issues of injury reporting, and even more so the confidential and personal nature of that info, I am glad we leave that to CPJ for release. The only thing that supersedes our curiosity is our love for the Jackets.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

This always makes me think of the two edged sword of playing injured. You want to show the coach you are a tough gamer and won't go down with just any little nick or bump but on the other hand there are lots of times in this sport when the best thing to do would be take yourself out and tell the trainer, "I felt something funny when I . . ." But no player wants to get a reputation for being soft. It seems like the athlete is put in an impossible situation in some cases. Since football is a rough sport there are probably lots of times when a player should pause even if they think it is not that bad and they can play through it. But what are you going to do...?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Kind of sounds like a possible Lisfranc injury. I can't remember who, but we had a guy dealing with one of those a few years back. If I'm remembering correctly, I think it nagged for a while and cost some time. Those little bones in the feet are a pain in the ***!

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
if its a bone, then good. If it's a tendon (or other soft tissue), then bad.
Not necessarily true in the foot. They'd do an MRI if they thought it was anything soft tissue related. The problem with foot bones is they are really difficult if not impossible to set without surgery. Also they are long and thin and deal with incredible forces in a normal person, let alone a D1 athlete. Hope it's just a hairline fracture or something where rest will heal it

Caveat: I'm not a doctor, but I am a rehab engineer

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Not necessarily true in the foot. They'd do an MRI if they thought it was anything soft tissue related. The problem with foot bones is they are really difficult if not impossible to set without surgery. Also they are long and thin and deal with incredible forces in a normal person, let alone a D1 athlete. Hope it's just a hairline fracture or something where rest will heal it

Caveat: I'm not a doctor, but I am a rehab engineer
And many of the bones in the foot get a piss poor blood supply, making the healing process take way longer

Source: broke both sesamoid bones in my foot and was in a boot for several months

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Injury like that (during a scrimmage) is easier to accept than an injury during a pickup BB game :arghh:
I would imagine playing pickup basketball games helps a big guy with agility, athleticism, and conditioning, so it's not like Griffin was doing something with no redeeming value. In effect it's just a different variety of workout.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would imagine playing pickup basketball games helps a big guy with agility, athleticism, and conditioning, so it's not like Griffin was doing something with no redeeming value. In effect it's just a different variety of workout.

When I was in school, the basketball court was FULL of football players. Fun way to stay in shape.

I don't think you put yourself at anymore risk than going out running routes, lifting weights, or even jogging around campus. Just bad luck sometimes.

I'd rather a football player play basketball than sit around playing video games and eating junk food all off season.

Animal02

Banned

I am not criticizing him for playing BB.......just that injuries are to be expected when you are going at it full speed and in pads......not playing around in a pick up game.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Worst case he needs a lot of time to heal and has to redshirt, which he might have done anyway. Best case he heals up and is ready for Fall camp and shows enough ability to play as a true freshman. Reality is probably somewhere in the middle which leads me to anticipate a redshirt year for QW.

Go Jackets!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There's that, and the reality that one cannot recruit competitive guys on one hand and on the other tell them not play competitive sports.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That's encouraging. I hope he's better soon.

He is in good hands. Jay Shoop and the medical staff are good people. I believe they not only do a good job, they're also a class act as human beings.
Jay Shoop took care of what might have been the exact same injury to me in 1974 at Furman. Jay has probably learned a bit about ankle injuries in 40+ years. :)