Quaide update

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily true in the foot. They'd do an MRI if they thought it was anything soft tissue related. The problem with foot bones is they are really difficult if not impossible to set without surgery. Also they are long and thin and deal with incredible forces in a normal person, let alone a D1 athlete. Hope it's just a hairline fracture or something where rest will heal it

Caveat: I'm not a doctor, but I am a rehab engineer
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. These studies can create better images of soft tissues like the tendons. This test is not required to diagnose a Lisfranc injury. It may be ordered in cases where the diagnosis may be in doubt.

Computerized tomography scan (CT ) scan. These scans are more detailed than x-rays and can create cross-section images of the foot. This test is not required to diagnose a Lisfranc injury. Because a CT scan will help evaluate the exact extent of the injury and the number of joints that have been injured, a surgeon may order this test to help plan surgery.

Top of page

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt Shoop and his staff or any of the other medical trainers/doctors for GTs Athletic Dept. However, I do have a question for those who know more about sports medicine/rehabilitation than I am. Do a lot of college athletic trainers (like Shoop) who've been around for a long time still stick to their tried and true methods from decades of experience, or are they more willing to adapt to the cutting-edge breakthrough procedures we've seen/heard of recently?

It seems at the professional level most athletes are beneficiaries of the new breakthroughs in sports medicine, but at the college I really just don't know. The only recent Tech athlete who I can think of that may not have recovered as well as he should have is Uzzi. I'm pretty sure he did his surgery and rehab with Tech, and couldn't pass a physical years later. This could obviously be a result of how his body reacted rather than the procedure/rehab itself, but I'd love it if someone could shed some light on this and maybe Uzzi's situation specifically.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't doubt Shoop and his staff or any of the other medical trainers/doctors for GTs Athletic Dept. However, I do have a question for those who know more about sports medicine/rehabilitation than I am. Do a lot of college athletic trainers (like Shoop) who've been around for a long time still stick to their tried and true methods from decades of experience, or are they more willing to adapt to the cutting-edge breakthrough procedures we've seen/heard of recently?

It seems at the professional level most athletes are beneficiaries of the new breakthroughs in sports medicine, but at the college I really just don't know. The only recent Tech athlete who I can think of that may not have recovered as well as he should have is Uzzi. I'm pretty sure he did his surgery and rehab with Tech, and couldn't pass a physical years later. This could obviously be a result of how his body reacted rather than the procedure/rehab itself, but I'd love it if someone could shed some light on this and maybe Uzzi's situation specifically.
I can't speak for all trainers, but since I was a student trainer under Jay Shoop I can tell you that he definitely is trying to expand his knowledge. I also know one of the other staff trainers and he has that same mindset. They're not going to just jump on the new hot thing without some research to back it up but they definitely take their responsibilities seriously and work for improvement.

RE: Uzzi, I don't know. Maybe someone else does.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Two words: continuing education. If the medical/training field is anything like engineering (and I assume it is because of "life safety" issues), they likely have requirements for a set number of continuing education hours yearly to keep your license current. What better way to spend those hours than learning new and innovative treatments.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Uzzi had something like degenerative knee disease...Wasn't sure for awhile if he was even going to be able to play his Senior season here.

ctweimer

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry I didn't update earlier, but I didn't want to reveal anything that the coaching staff didn't want out yet.

Quaide had surgery this morning to repair the torn ligaments in his foot. They put in a screw and tight rope for more support. The surgery went well and the injury was not as bad as the doctor's expected. They didn't take out the bone spur since it happened his junior year of high school and doesn't cause any problems.

We are expecting a three month recovery process. I don't expect the coaches won't make any decision regarding that until fall camp.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Shouldn't impede his ability to lift and get more upper body strength, and once he gets cleared by the doctors he'll get to spend some time at muscle beach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Q Fro needs to stay off his feet but still stay in shape, I suggest the Shake Weight. It obviously worked for this guy:

shake.jpg

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I didn't update earlier, but I didn't want to reveal anything that the coaching staff didn't want out yet.

Quaide had surgery this morning to repair the torn ligaments in his foot. They put in a screw and tight rope for more support. The surgery went well and the injury was not as bad as the doctor's expected. They didn't take out the bone spur since it happened his junior year of high school and doesn't cause any problems.

We are expecting a three month recovery process. I don't expect the coaches won't make any decision regarding that until fall camp.
Great to hear! Hopefully he'll be ready for fall camp and can be out there when the season starts.

We appreciate the heads up as well as your candor in the matter. Thanks again and cheers to a speedy recovery!!

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of sounds like a possible Lisfranc injury. I can't remember who, but we had a guy dealing with one of those a few years back. If I'm remembering correctly, I think it nagged for a while and cost some time. Those little bones in the feet are a pain in the ***!

This was my first thought. I had one in college (wasn't an athlete). It is not fun and you have to stay off your foot for a while. Will take a while to get his gait back if so.