QB1 Predictions

Who will be behind center for our first offensive series?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 124 73.8%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • James Graham

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how to answer the poll. :D Is it who is our starter, or who is behind center on the first play, or who is behind center for the entire first series? Because my opinion is it could be a different answer for all 3. I will be shocked if Lucas Johnson isn't our main QB. But that doesn't preclude us from running trick plays or using other QBs in certain situations, like how we used to bring Matthew Johnson in for goal line plays.
Matthew Jordon :D

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why the coaches aren't using Vad Lee the correct way....oh wait...:)

In all seriousness, I wrote in several game threads last season that Tobias mentally knows where to go with the ball. He is actually good at making the right reads in the passing game. Now whether or not he can successfully do it consistently with his arm is another story because a lot of time the reads were correct, but the throws were really bad. Hopefully he can make the throws this year.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I think 50/50 split between LJ running the regular offense and Tobias running spread option heavy offense with 2 RBs and 2 TEs on the field. Hopefully somewhere around 65-35 run:pass

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I were coach, I would go with TO to start the game and my decision has nothing to do with who will eventually win the job. Tobias has game experience and, more specifically, winning game experience in hostile environments when nobody expected it to happen. This will not be new to him. Additionally, he has played against Clemson already, having made some plays with his feet and completing tough passes out of the roll out etc. He was not in the least bit overwhelmed by the experience. It is very important to start out with a player who has confidence and has been there before. If we can't move the ball, then bring in one of the other two at that time. I think more of TO as a passer than many on this board, but, rest assured, I realize he is limited in the number and type of throws he can make with consistency. Eventually, we will need to stretch the field throwing, more than just sideline to sideline and 30 yards deep. Still, TO forces a defense to account for him in ways that they might not have to otherwise. This creates space like a PG in hoops penetrating and drawing the defense to him.

I am excited to get this thing going and finally bring an end to the hype machine in a vacuum, without results to scrutinize. Every person I talk to today gives us no chance. Personally, I think they are full of it. I give us about a 20% chance to pull this off. I guarantee you, if I were batting .200 on the season and striding to the batter's box right now, I would be very focused and confident about getting a hit this time up. Failure wouldn't even be in my mind.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I were coach, I would go with TO to start the game and my decision has nothing to do with who will eventually win the job. Tobias has game experience and, more specifically, winning game experience in hostile environments when nobody expected it to happen. This will not be new to him. Additionally, he has played against Clemson already, having made some plays with his feet and completing tough passes out of the roll out etc. He was not in the least bit overwhelmed by the experience. It is very important to start out with a player who has confidence and has been there before. If we can't move the ball, then bring in one of the other two at that time. I think more of TO as a passer than many on this board, but, rest assured, I realize he is limited in the number and type of throws he can make with consistency. Eventually, we will need to stretch the field throwing, more than just sideline to sideline and 30 yards deep. Still, TO forces a defense to account for him in ways that they might not have to otherwise. This creates space like a PG in hoops penetrating and drawing the defense to him.

I am excited to get this thing going and finally bring an end to the hype machine in a vacuum, without results to scrutinize. Every person I talk to today gives us no chance. Personally, I think they are full of it. I give us about a 20% chance to pull this off. I guarantee you, if I were batting .200 on the season and striding to the batter's box right now, I would be very focused and confident about getting a hit this time up. Failure wouldn't even be in my mind.

Boomer, I agree about Tobias. I think his experience under pressure is very important when you start off in such a high profile, hostile environment game.

Unfortunately, I believe your 20% chance might be made with gold-colored glasses. The talent level that Dabo now possesses is larger than anything GT has seen in the recent past. Yes, they are replacing their entire DL, but it is still loaded with very high level talent. I hope you are right, and I am wrong, but I believe we have less than a 2% chance tonight. I just don't know how we stop all of their weapons on the offensive side of the ball, either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

IIrc, we ran a lot of Zone Sweep/Option with Tobias last year. I think that it was often called a QB sweep, but that at times it looked like we had a pitch option. IIuc, that Zone Blocking scheme would fit-in with what we are doing now.

@Longestday @steebu , do y'all recall? Could yall provide insight?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

Clemson in game #1 the last few years is nowhere like Clemson in game #15. Keep the mistakes down, keep your poise, don't lose the kicking game, get a few first downs running the ball, survive till half time, and watch the pressure change sides of the field.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I expect LJ to start, but fully expect TO to get some reps. The coaches seem way too high on TO as a leader (as well as Cottrell), not to get them on the field. I could definitely see some shotgun option, wildcat, or redzone packages for TO that could be effective. He was better than Marshall against Clemson last year!

Also, didn't Oliver basically average something like 86 yards per pass?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I personally would’ve expected LJ but I’ve just been hearing Tobias. If We go with Tobias we are going to look a lot like Auburn with Nick Marshall. I think they both will and should play especially this first game. Hopefully tho we will have a true QB1 before we open up with Coastal play.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was told by someone close that we shouldn't be shocked to see TO starting at QB.

I was also told that there is a play that involves TO and another QB on the field at the same time. Obviously not both playing QB.

Doubtful that #2 happens tonight though.