QB Johnson injured - UPDATE

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Will he get a medical redshirt? Or is that possible after a regular redshirt?

You only get 5 years total to play 4 years.

The "Medical Redshirt" Hardship waiver really only applied to a situation where an athlete played less than 30% of their season and had a season ending injury could take their redshirt that season, even though they played. That's kind of defunct with the 4 game red shirt now.

So, unfortunately, since Lucas already redshirted he'd have to apply for a sixth year exemption and a hardship waiver. Very unlikely to be granted unless he misses two years due to injury.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know this isn't the uni thread, but that is one horrendous uniform!!!

Lucas%20Johnson%20042118%20tech%20foot%20photos%20HS05_edited.jpg

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You only get 5 years total to play 4 years.

The "Medical Redshirt" Hardship waiver really only applied to a situation where an athlete played less than 30% of their season and had a season ending injury could take their redshirt that season, even though they played. That's kind of defunct with the 4 game red shirt now.

So, unfortunately, since Lucas already redshirted he'd have to apply for a sixth year exemption and a hardship waiver. Very unlikely to be granted unless he misses two years due to injury.

If that doesn’t work out Maybe he should try for a graduate degree

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
J. Jones should have stayed this is similar to Marshall to last year
I believe Jones could technically transfer back to GT if classes haven’t yet started. Won’t happen, but it’s one of those fun exceptions to the 4-2-4 NCAA transfer rule.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I am not an NCAA expert, just my take on reading the rules:

They modified the five-year rule waiver rules, but the implementation in the past has seemed to be very unpredictable. the rule book says:
The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may approve such additional waivers to the five-year rule as it deems appropriate (see Bylaw 30.6.1 for criteria).

In 30.6.1 instead of saying "two years due to injury", it says "reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period".

There is a criteria which is more directly listed now in the rules book. However in the past SAs who objectively more than met the criteria were denied and SAs who objectively did not meet the criteria were approved. If two-thirds of the members present vote to allow a sixth year it is granted. As with many things related to NCAA rules enforcement sometimes the rules seem to mean whatever the committee says they mean instead of what is actually written.

With LJ, if he can prove that he missed an opportunity to participate in at least part of another season then he could apply for the waiver. From past years, I have no idea how the committee would vote. Probably not a good chance, but it isn't a zero chance.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Brad Stewart’s lone touchdown catch (VT game) last year was on third and long. I’m pretty sure Ricky Jeune’s long catch that game was on third and long too.

We have five eligible receivers every play, we should be as dangerous as anybody on third and medium.

'Should be' and 'are' are two very different things. Most of our practice reps on offense have to be on the core 3O plays, and let's face it, you don't see skilled passing QBs lined up to play in our offense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Thanks to machine learning we have bots that can write whole articles, but it still isn’t perfect.

I’m actually working on this as a project at work. We are using a third party company to create location based articles about my client’s products and services. It’s fairly basic stuff once you look at it (think macros in an excel) but interesting none the less. The down side is, machines write almost as poorly as the engineers that built them ;-)

#I’mARamblinWreck,FromGaTech,AndAHelluvaPublicPolicyGrad

{tic} don’t tell wife, she’s a GT ME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk