QB Johnson injured - UPDATE

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The most overused and overly annoying phrase uttered by socalled experts on television is, and I quote: "This offense isn't built for 3rd and long...." The funny thing is that the guy thinks he dropping some amazing pearl of insight on his audience. The fact is, NO OFFENSE IS BUILT FOR 3RD AND LONG!

The goal of every offense is to score points. If you really want to fairly judge our offense, look at points scored per drive. In our good years, we've been near the top of the list in this stat yet we've been anything but balanced on offense or any better at 3rd and long.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
So true. Football is still blocking, tackling, and not making mistakes. Regardless of the Offense or Defense, there is nothing new under the sun.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t need to throw, you don’t throw. But there is a reason third and long is considered a “passing down”. Being able to complete a 7 to 15 yard pass to maintain a drive does make a difference in this, and any, offense.
I don't think Johnson even flinches at seven yards. You do. I do. He doesn't. Of course third and long invites passing, though we have seen Johnson get 15 or more on that funky counter draw to an Aback. But the debate is not 3rd and forever, when your situation speaks for itself. (Sometimes I fall back on Gen. Longstreet.) It is completion percentages and an arbitrary number of 50% over the game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
3rd and 7 is a lot more doable if you have a credible passing threat to compliment your running game. The DBs can't cheat. Our 2014 offense was so effective because it could convert 3rd & long, and we could convert 3rd & long because JT had Smelts and Waller to throw to, along JT's own playmaking speed afoot.
Brad Stewart’s lone touchdown catch (VT game) last year was on third and long. I’m pretty sure Ricky Jeune’s long catch that game was on third and long too.

We have five eligible receivers every play, we should be as dangerous as anybody on third and medium.

Deleted member 2897

The most overused and overly annoying phrase uttered by socalled experts on television is, and I quote: "This offense isn't built for 3rd and long...." The funny thing is that the guy thinks he dropping some amazing pearl of insight on his audience. The fact is, NO OFFENSE IS BUILT FOR 3RD AND LONG!

The goal of every offense is to score points. If you really want to fairly judge our offense, look at points scored per drive. In our good years, we've been near the top of the list in this stat yet we've been anything but balanced on offense or any better at 3rd and long.

Furthermore, if I remember right, we had one of the best conversion rates in the country at 3rd and long a couple years ago.

Edit, just went to look up the stats, and all I could find was 3rd down conversion percentage straight up - couldn't find anything on 3rd and long in particular. Of note, last year we were 12th in the country. In 2014 we were 1st in the country. Kind of an interesting dichotomy - one year we were 5-6 and the other year we had 11 wins and were 13 points away from being undefeated.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t need to throw, you don’t throw. But there is a reason third and long is considered a “passing down”. Being able to complete a 7 to 15 yard pass to maintain a drive does make a difference in this, and any, offense.

I don’t have the stats handy to back up my point, but I know we have typically ranked pretty highly in 3rd and long conversion percentage. While usually considered a passing situation, our offense is built such that any time a defense sits back to wait for a pass they become VERY vulnerable to a big run. I definitely remember seeing stats flashed on screen showing a high conversion rate while the talking heads go on about how our offense isn’t built for those type of situations.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Brad Stewart’s lone touchdown catch (VT game) last year was on third and long. I’m pretty sure Ricky Jeune’s long catch that game was on third and long too.

We have five eligible receivers every play, we should be as dangerous as anybody on third and medium.
I very distinctly remember a distinctly rememberal 4th and 15 against VT to a curling Smelter late in the game we won. Sobering fact is that no offense can be designed for 3rd or 4th and forever. Anybody who could do that would use it on every play.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I very distinctly remember a distinctly rememberal 4th and 15 against VT to a curling Smelter late in the game we won. Sobering fact is that no offense can be designed for 3rd or 4th and forever. Anybody who could do that would use it on every play.
How about 4th and 17 against BC in Ireland? JeT was able to connect in the clutch many times in his career(mostly in 14 and 16).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
3rd and 7 is a lot more doable if you have a credible passing threat to compliment your running game. The DBs can't cheat. Our 2014 offense was so effective because it could convert 3rd & long, and we could convert 3rd & long because JT had Smelts and Waller to throw to, along JT's own playmaking speed afoot.

And more blocking.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

And then the circle comes back to recruiting talent. Then we hear our offense is all about split second timing so it needs reps - we run the ball.

It seemed like we did a little more passing in the offsets ok n and in camp. Maybe the ab can run something besides the fly.

IF THE AB DO A STOP 12 yr ROUTE and slide into HOLE IN THE COVERAGE= we will know something has changed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And then the circle comes back to recruiting talent. Then we hear our offense is all about split second timing so it needs reps - we run the ball.

It seemed like we did a little more passing in the offsets ok n and in camp. Maybe the ab can run something besides the fly.

IF THE AB DO A STOP 12 yr ROUTE and slide into HOLE IN THE COVERAGE= we will know something has changed.
Deon Hill and Tony Zenon had some nice little delayed crossing routes that worked great. Deon scored the winning catch against Georgia Southern on it. Tony made a big 3rd and long conversion against Clemson with it, too.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Deon Hill and Tony Zenon had some nice little delayed crossing routes that worked great. Deon scored the winning catch against Georgia Southern on it. Tony made a big 3rd and long conversion against Clemson with it, too.
And on that play, Justin made a HELL of a play to evade the rusher to even get the throw off. Crazy to think that our dynamite 2014 team was that close (along with the fumbled pitch by GSU that was initially ruled an incomplete and then overturned on review) to blowing an 18 point lead to GSU at home.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow

Whelp, looks like Graham will be back to QB3. Also sucks LJ was our placeholder on kicks. Wish I could unlike my own post.