QB Johnson injured - UPDATE

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Man, I hate to hear that. I lived about 10 mins away from Graham's hometown and watched him throughout high school. Thought he was locked in to be a QB here.
CPJ said it’s just for this year “to great of an athlete”. Plus down 2 wr right now may need him down the road. #4 qb will not get may reps and they break out the scout team before too long. CPJ also said that if LJ is out for a while the he will move back to QB

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maaaannnnn.......

I'm one of LJ's biggest fans, but something tells me he's going to graduate and just move on before ever really playing in our system. I hope I'm wrong because I would LOVE to see his skillset (DUAL threat + passing) integrated in our offense, but sometimes fate doesn't always work out. I just get the feeling that the way the chips have fallen since he's been here, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for him is hard.

Hopefully it's nothing serious and he's back before the first game and we can see him play extensive minutes this season.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
With changes to cut blocking rules and allowing more offensive line holding, the game is favoring the passing game more and more. If PJ can't adjust to the rules changing, his system is becoming less and less effective. I think he will have to go with bigger A backs to have a chance blocking bigger guys if the can't use cut blocks. How about adding a TE in his offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With changes to cut blocking rules and allowing more offensive line holding, the game is favoring the passing game more and more. If PJ can't adjust to the rules changing, his system is becoming less and less effective. I think he will have to go with bigger A backs to have a chance blocking bigger guys if the can't use cut blocks. How about adding a TE in his offense.
2018 Its time.
Coach will make it happen this year or he won't make it happen.

I feel the skill players have a tendency to start their down field blocks too soon. Hopefully these experienced backs can hit their guy just as the runner makes his cut. We can't afford penalties.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
What does any of that have to do with Lucas’ injury?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach Mac told me Saturday that Graham is just too good to keep on the bench. I think he will play somewhere this season. Probably not ready to start at QB but good enough to make plays somewhere on the field. WR, A Back or return game are all possibilities. May get back to QB if Marshall goes down and Johnson and Oliver do not produce. If Johnson is out for the season I think Graham will have to take reps at QB during practice just to be ready in the event of a disaster. Coach also said Juanyeh Thomas and Jaylon King will play a lot this year.

Go Jackets!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Coach Mac told me Saturday that Graham is just too good to keep on the bench. I think he will play somewhere this season. Probably not ready to start at QB but good enough to make plays somewhere on the field. WR, A Back or return game are all possibilities. May get back to QB if Marshall goes down and Johnson and Oliver do not produce. If Johnson is out for the season I think Graham will have to take reps at QB during practice just to be ready in the event of a disaster. Coach also said Juanyeh Thomas and Jaylon King will play a lot this year.

Go Jackets!
Great to hear is that athletic but I sure hope he isn’t needed at QB this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
2018 Its time.
Coach will make it happen this year or he won't make it happen.

I feel the skill players have a tendency to start their down field blocks too soon. Hopefully these experienced backs can hit their guy just as the runner makes his cut. We can't afford penalties.
I agree, timing and spacing is everything in this O and the faster you run it the better. All these things take multiple reps, not just by the individual, but by the collective set of players. Precision tuning... if it ain't there, we ain't going no where. That and the bigun's upfront need to be paving the way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I agree, timing and spacing is everything in this O and the faster you run it the better. All these things take multiple reps, not just by the individual, but by the collective set of players. Precision tuning... if it ain't there, we ain't going no where. That and the bigun's upfront need to be paving the way.

Not having that precision with the squad is what hurt us so much last year IMHO. The constant shuffling of the Line, mixed in when a new QB and skill players was too much to overcome. Hopefully we see great improvement there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan
Maaaannnnn.......

I'm one of LJ's biggest fans, but something tells me he's going to graduate and just move on before ever really playing in our system. I hope I'm wrong because I would LOVE to see his skillset (DUAL threat + passing) integrated in our offense, but sometimes fate doesn't always work out. I just get the feeling that the way the chips have fallen since he's been here, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for him is hard.

Hopefully it's nothing serious and he's back before the first game and we can see him play extensive minutes this season.
Praying for a positive outcome for Lucas...he is such a talented football player and an overall great kid!

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody get the feeling that the injury might not be that bad after listening to CPJ after practice PC? I know he really didn’t say much but more of the way he talked. Seemed to be more of a joke, then a straight forward answer that he gave about A Sanders with his broken collarbone.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Any official word on LJ's injury?
No, CPJ said that they didn’t know anything and would let reporters know something when they know. Seemed to me it was said in a more joking tone than a straight forward answer. They may not know but that is hard for me to believe that they don’t have X-ray or mri results.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What does any of that have to do with Lucas’ injury?
I had to stop my post so didn't finish. We need QB's in the position that can pass with at least 50% completions and if LJ is out due to injury we lose our best passer. With the rules changing PJ needs to have better skilled passers rather than a running back that can pass. The rules put his offense at more of a disadvantage than a few years ago. I really hope LJ is not out for any length of time. He needs some PT.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I had to stop my post so didn't finish. We need QB's in the position that can pass with at least 50% completions and if LJ is out due to injury we lose our best passer. With the rules changing PJ needs to have better skilled passers rather than a running back that can pass. The rules put his offense at more of a disadvantage than a few years ago. I really hope LJ is not out for any length of time. He needs some PT.
This is an evergreen argument on the board, world without end amen. But what we think matters not. It is what Johnson thinks. And he does not see "50%" as a magic number. To throw down range -- to engage the "when we pass we mean it" mantra -- means GT quarterbacks aren't getting those 8-10 yard dinks you see in read options and zone reads, on in a Mike Leach air raid offense. Those teams use the dinks to set up a shot for the EZ. Johnson uses options and edge runs to pull up the safeties and isolate his WRs down the field where he expects them to "go make a play". It is why he successfully recruits WRs despite complaints that he cannot. Wilt Chamberlain played back to the rim and had a 54% career shooting percentage. Jerry West faced the basket from downtown and shot 47%. (Pistol Pete of fame and legend shot 44%.) Now you done made me do research and I still hate it, but the point is: Johnson's offense is not going to generate 50% completions. It is not intended to. Try yards per attempt for a better marker.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This is an evergreen argument on the board, world without end amen. But what we think matters not. It is what Johnson thinks. And he does not see "50%" as a magic number. To throw down range -- to engage the "when we pass we mean it" mantra -- means GT quarterbacks aren't getting those 8-10 yard dinks you see in read options and zone reads, on in a Mike Leach air raid offense. Those teams use the dinks to set up a shot for the EZ. Johnson uses options and edge runs to pull up the safeties and isolate his WRs down the field where he expects them to "go make a play". It is why he successfully recruits WRs despite complaints that he cannot. Wilt Chamberlain played back to the rim and had a 54% career shooting percentage. Jerry West faced the basket from downtown and shot 47%. (Pistol Pete of fame and legend shot 44%.) Now you done made me do research and I still hate it, but the point is: Johnson's offense is not going to generate 50% completions. It is not intended to. Try yards per attempt for a better marker.

If you don’t need to throw, you don’t throw. But there is a reason third and long is considered a “passing down”. Being able to complete a 7 to 15 yard pass to maintain a drive does make a difference in this, and any, offense.