QB and OC debate

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm extrapolating from the fact we've heard nothing about a new DC that it appears Geoff will be taking over. Just my take. Lordy, I hope it's not Thacker again.
If it is Thacker, he can ride him into a buyout. The stats from the last 3 years are all we need to know.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Until the current staff gets to where they can be compared equally or better to what CPJ was able to deliver then there is always going to be comparisons and with the demonstrable lack of coaching skill that we have seen the comparisons are going to not look good for a while if ever.
The mods will probably never limit the talk of previous coaching staffs as long as it does not get derogatory.

We would all trade the last 3 years performance for CPJ's first 3 years here.

But from a more realistic perspective the odds of this coaching staff making it past the next 2 years is probably less than 10%. So then you will see the comparisons again to the next staff.
If a new coach came in and won 7 games everyone would shout hallelujah because they would be compared to the current coach.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
a lot of fans are so sour on sims i think they just assume any qb coming in will be better. they don’t realize even lamar jackson wasn’t that good when he first got started

Jacksons freshman year was pedestrian, but his SO year was on par if not better than his JR year. I am not sour on Sims, but Jackson is a poor benchmark for defending him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Giff Smith was a good recruiter but it is undeniable that Collins was the GM responsible for the outstanding and best ever 2007 class. His novel use (at the time) of social media brought that class together. Also, Gailey was a closer. His NFL background resonated with kids. Instead of seeing the real problem at the time, which was Pat Nix quality OCs, we threw the baby out with the bath water. We are on the cusp of doing that again, except that Stansbury is a better AD than we had back then. We'll see whether or not he can overcome the know nothings on the athletic board long enough to right the ship. I'm not hopeful.

My point remains the same: I'd like to trade the talent Johnson had in his first three years that Gailey and Collins recruited for the talent we've had the last 3 years that Johnson recruited. Johnson had the best talent ever assembled at Tech his first 2 years--talent that he didn't recruit. He then had 9 years of overall mediocre results, leaving behind a level of talent that he didn't want to stake his reputation on, and not many coaching candidates would have staked their career on. If people can't see how poor we have been at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, they don't know what they are watching. As O'Leary said, the further you are from the ball, the sooner you can play. We've only have 2 years of recruiting to rebuild the line of scrimmage. However, there is no excuse for the defense being as bad as it was this year. Hopefully that will be fixed.

It's completely deniable. Until Collins was hired, Giff Smith was credited with that class. It's been revisionist history since 2018.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's completely deniable. Until Collins was hired, Giff Smith was credited with that class. It's been revisionist history since 2018.

To be fair, if you search the history on the 2007 class and Giff Smith, there are some who mentioned on this board that Collins played an integral part in the class. That was YEARS before CPJ stepped down.

EDIT:

Here's the thread with a comment by someone that was plugged into the program at the time:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
a lot of fans are so sour on sims i think they just assume any qb coming in will be better. they don’t realize even lamar jackson wasn’t that good when he first got started
Bailey is interesting because he brings competition to the QB room. I like Sims, has some faults of youth, but hopeful that experience increases his efficiency. The man that can lead us to the win should play.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
To be fair, if you search the history on the 2007 class and Giff Smith, there are some who mentioned on this board that Collins played an integral part in the class. That was YEARS before CPJ stepped down.

EDIT:

Here's the thread with a comment by someone that was plugged into the program at the time:

True, but even then Giff was pointed out as the recruiting coordinator and Geoff Smith was making his name as a DC at Miss St and the tie to GT was in vogue for us. The vast majority of posts in those days credited Giff Smith with that class.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I can only remember that most uga fans were not happy with Chaney, and he was the OC for 3 yrs? Tech desperately needs a very ,very good 2nd QB!

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
not really true at all but i guess if you don’t like him that is something you can say
Stats say otherwise.

And offenses that rely on running qbs don’t win big games against good defenses bc they’re easy to stop when forced to throw. Lamar Jackson has never been successful/consistent in the playoffs, jalen hurts, Marcus Mariota. Just a few examples.

JacketFan137

Banned
Stats say otherwise.

And offenses that rely on running qbs don’t win big games against good defenses bc they’re easy to stop when forced to throw. Lamar Jackson has never been successful/consistent in the playoffs, jalen hurts, Marcus Mariota. Just a few examples.
dude what in the world are you talking about lol

this tells you all you need to know to completely dismiss everything you’ve said in this thread and clearly illustrates your weird hatred for sims. look at college football. obviously you need to pass to some degree but college football has seen plenty of successful teams with QBs that are runners. no team since like AJ mccarron has really won a championship with some pocket statue QB. almost all of them had some element of mobility. also newsflash buddy we probably aren’t competing with bama, uga, clemson, ohio state etc. any time soon so your weird narrative about running qbs don’t win championships is so irrelevant to our program and using NFL names is even more ridiculous when you’re comparing a completely different game. also lamar and the ravens have like half the team on IR and are currently in first place in their division? he went 14-2 and won an mvp his first season starting? jalen hurts is a second year starter too idk why you’re including him LMFAO

are you trolling?

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
dude what in the world are you talking about lol

this tells you all you need to know to completely dismiss everything you’ve said in this thread and clearly illustrates your weird hatred for sims. look at college football. obviously you need to pass to some degree but college football has seen plenty of successful teams with QBs that are runners. no team since like AJ mccarron has really won a championship with some pocket statue QB. almost all of them had some element of mobility. also newsflash buddy we probably aren’t competing with bama, uga, clemson, ohio state etc. any time soon so your weird narrative about running qbs don’t win championships is so irrelevant to our program and using NFL names is even more ridiculous when you’re comparing a completely different game. also lamar and the ravens have like half the team on IR and are currently in first place in their division? he went 14-2 and won an mvp his first season starting? jalen hurts is a second year starter too idk why you’re including him LMFAO

are you trolling?
I wasn’t specifically talkin their nfl careers, it just happens to be that way. Lamar didn’t win no natty, much less acc championship. Jalen hurts didn’t win no natty (solely) an got took out at halftime for tua (more passing qb) to win the natty. Mariota didn’t win no natty, much less pac 12 championship.

You’re the one talkin personal awards, I rather win team awards. And all I’ve ever said is sims needs to be coached better, until then he shouldn’t be the qb.

JacketFan137

Banned
I wasn’t specifically talkin their nfl careers, it just happens to be that way. Lamar didn’t win no natty, much less acc championship. Jalen hurts didn’t win no natty (solely) an got took out at halftime for tua (more passing qb) to win the natty. Mariota didn’t win no natty, much less pac 12 championship.

You’re the one talkin personal awards, I rather win team awards. And all I’ve ever said is sims needs to be coached better, until then he shouldn’t be the qb.
you do realize mariota literally lost the natty to a running qb named cardale jones who was running option concepts through the playoffs to beat mariota right?

also what about when they had to bench tua to bring on jalen to beat uga to send bama to the playoffs?

louisville did not have the roster to win a championship and the fact lamar even took that team to the brink of beating clemson was a testament to how good and effective a running qb can be.

football is a team sport and for you to break it down to running qb doesn’t win championships with out contextualizing any of it is just being dumb lol

sims does need to be coached better i agree, you wanting him out though is just some pathetic agenda that makes zero sense LMFAO

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
you do realize mariota literally lost the natty to a running qb named cardale jones who was running option concepts through the playoffs to beat mariota right?

also what about when they had to bench tua to bring on jalen to beat uga to send bama to the playoffs?

louisville did not have the roster to win a championship and the fact lamar even took that team to the brink of beating clemson was a testament to how good and effective a running qb can be.

football is a team sport and for you to break it down to running qb doesn’t win championships with out contextualizing any of it is just being dumb lol

sims does need to be coached better i agree, you wanting him out though is just some pathetic agenda that makes zero sense LMFAO
21 carries for 38 yards is not effective option qb, but okay lol

Good an effective for different schemes, yes. Good and effective for championships, no.

Sorry you don’t want to accept facts that clearly make perfect sense, but you got to be willing to look at them and it doesn’t seem you want to bud.

JacketFan137

Banned
21 carries for 38 yards is not effective option qb, but okay lol

Good an effective for different schemes, yes. Good and effective for championships, no.

Sorry you don’t want to accept facts that clearly make perfect sense, but you got to be willing to look at them and it doesn’t seem you want to bud.
they aren’t really facts though my man :/

also just winning a championship isn’t really an argument as to why a team should or shouldn’t do something. 1 team wins a championship every year. that doesn’t mean the other teams are bad or even doing something wrong.

the game is changing and from what it sounds like you’re stuck in the past.