QB and OC debate

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
CGC continues to ride Jeff Sims when he's able to play regardless anyone else barring turnovers and short drives

In fairness, Yates got every opportunity this year to surpass Sims.

What we need in the QB room is competition. If that drives Sims to improve, great. If it doesn't, someone else will earn the shot. More consistent QB play beats Northern Illinois and keeps Duke off the field. I'm not sure that it would have mattered much in our other losses given the way the defense played (*Maybe* Clemson...hard to know).

I'm all for bringing in more competition, especially since the rest of the room will be redshirt or true freshmen.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In fairness, Yates got every opportunity this year to surpass Sims.

What we need in the QB room is competition. If that drives Sims to improve, great. If it doesn't, someone else will earn the shot. More consistent QB play beats Northern Illinois and keeps Duke off the field. I'm not sure that it would have mattered much in our other losses given the way the defense played (*Maybe* Clemson...hard to know).

I'm all for bringing in more competition, especially since the rest of the room will be redshirt or true freshmen.
We would have beaten Miami with decent QB play, possibly BC as well. The truth is neither Sims nor Yates were all that great this year. As you said we need someone to come in and either push Sims to improve or take the job from him. Bailey could be that guy.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The problem with both the QB and OL is what was available when the last staff left. We had guys who should be RBs playing QB, and we didn't have any real OTs--and there is a reason that LTs are the highest paid position in the NFL except maybe the QBs. I'm not sold on Sims, but I remember that Joe Hamilton wasn't all that great his RFr year either.
Not only did the last staff not leave any QBs or OTs behind, the last staff didn't have any lined up in the 2019 class. So we didn't start recruiting at those positions until last year. We've had a Fr starting at RT the last two years and different transfers at LT. TE has been the same issue. And it goes without saying that we don't have depth,and we've had injuries at those positions. Yet if this board is a barometer, most of our fans don't understand what we been up against. All they seem to know is that we are losing and it's Collins' fault.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We would have beaten Miami with decent QB play, possibly BC as well. The truth is neither Sims nor Yates were all that great this year. As you said we need someone to come in and either push Sims to improve or take the job from him. Bailey could be that guy.
I agree, if Sims had not been injured against Miami, we would've won.

JacketFan137

Banned
sims has shown moments of greatness and i think that my biggest frustration with posters on this board is people are choosing to flat out ignore that in favor of a guy we haven’t seen play, who in all likelihood, would have put out a similar product.

the truth is our o line, scheme and coaching weren’t close to up to par and any success was almost in spite of our staff

sims with a serviceable o line, run plays not straight up the middle to reduce some of the pressure on him, and playcalling that isn’t so predictable could be a pretty good qb. he has physical traits we just haven’t had before. hopefully the new staff can bring that out.

as far as bailey goes more competition is better. i just don’t get why some people are just absolutely so sure he’s coming here and will start. he’s also not as mobile and people are severely underrating how well sims did to avoid sacks. we do not have the line to support a pocket statue and that’s not really effective for college football anyway

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
sims has shown moments of greatness and i think that my biggest frustration with posters on this board is people are choosing to flat out ignore that in favor of a guy we haven’t seen play, who in all likelihood, would have put out a similar product.

the truth is our o line, scheme and coaching weren’t close to up to par and any success was almost in spite of our staff

sims with a serviceable o line, run plays not straight up the middle to reduce some of the pressure on him, and playcalling that isn’t so predictable could be a pretty good qb. he has physical traits we just haven’t had before. hopefully the new staff can bring that out.

as far as bailey goes more competition is better. i just don’t get why some people are just absolutely so sure he’s coming here and will start. he’s also not as mobile and people are severely underrating how well sims did to avoid sacks. we do not have the line to support a pocket statue and that’s not really effective for college football anyway
Im not absolutely sure that Bailey would win the job from Sims. I am absolutely sure that if he came in, both he and Sims would improve as they battle against each other. We would end up with a better starter at QB and a really high quality backup. It seems like you are against that idea and im not really sure why.

JacketFan137

Banned
Im not absolutely sure that Bailey would win the job from Sims. I am absolutely sure that if he came in, both he and Sims would improve as they battle against each other. We would end up with a better starter at QB and a really high quality backup. It seems like you are against that idea and im not really sure why.
i’m not against it at all. i just think people are highly disrespectful to sims and they are blaming him for a lot of things that really aren’t his fault. i would love if bailey came in and was great

last year our backup qb play was just not up to par for power 5 football and i don’t think yates was ever in an honest competition with sims cause he simply would never win that job in a million years. i also think that given sims injury history it might be necessary to have a good backup on the squad.

i just get frustrated by the people claiming things like he didn’t improve at all. watch the games and you’d actually see he did improve a lot

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Because that wouldn’t happen with modern college football with transfer portal. Look at us and everybody else now. We had a decent back up qb and loaded rb room. But competition isn’t necessarily king anymore, imo. Once an athlete goes to a school and they don’t win the job they transfer out to somewhere they have a better chance. We would not have Sims, Bailey and Pyron/recruits in the same room for more than one season.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
i’m not against it at all. i just think people are highly disrespectful to sims and they are blaming him for a lot of things that really aren’t his fault. i would love if bailey came in and was great

last year our backup qb play was just not up to par for power 5 football and i don’t think yates was ever in an honest competition with sims cause he simply would never win that job in a million years. i also think that given sims injury history it might be necessary to have a good backup on the squad.

i just get frustrated by the people claiming things like he didn’t improve at all. watch the games and you’d actually see he did improve a lot
I think that's the big difference. I'm on the bandwagon, I didn't see the improvement this year. There are statistics in favor of improving and against. I was just expecting a bigger step forward given a full spring and a previous season of seeing college defenses. He had some great games throwing (Doesn't hurt that Gibbs can take a swing pass or screen to the house). But he is no where near his potential. And that is on the coaching. I really don't think that Pnaude put the players in the best situation to succeed. There was no flow in his play calling.

We can blame the OL all we want but then the OC has got to account for that. Maybe against an aggressive defense you don't call a play action that takes a long time to develop. You wait for a better spot to do so in the game.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think that's the big difference. I'm on the bandwagon, I didn't see the improvement this year. There are statistics in favor of improving and against. I was just expecting a bigger step forward given a full spring and a previous season of seeing college defenses. He had some great games throwing (Doesn't hurt that Gibbs can take a swing pass or screen to the house). But he is no where near his potential. And that is on the coaching. I really don't think that Pnaude put the players in the best situation to succeed. There was no flow in his play calling.

We can blame the OL all we want but then the OC has got to account for that. Maybe against an aggressive defense you don't call a play action that takes a long time to develop. You wait for a better spot to do so in the game.
yeah i firmly believe hed show a lot more with a better staff. patenaude had no idea how to utilize talent at any point and this was an issue before sims stepped foot on campus lol

i would like to see him with chip and i think we’re gonna see some o line transfers in. considering we had literal turnstiles on the right side of our line i think regardless of the QB the offense should get better. the o line certainly can’t get worse

i’m also just not even sure harrison is coming. that crystal ball prediction came out but i’ve heard some wishy washy word about it. so we’ll see

while he’s still in the portal and not with us i will continue to support the team we currently have and i would recommend a lot of these users do the same. new isn’t always better

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The score was 33-30. How do you get a 2 score differential from that?
I would assume because the turnovers went our way that they really beat us by more if it wasn’t for those? But that’s ridiculous because the turnovers did happen, so we lost by 3.

I never understand people who this “if this and this and this” theory. If we never made a turnover the entire season we probably would have gone to a bowl but that’s too many if’s. Just like Miami game, if Miami didn’t commit any turnovers, sure they would have won by more but they did commit those turnovers, so they aren’t as good of a team

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Went from 19 turnovers in 2020 in 10 games, to 12 turnovers in 2021 in 7 games (2 of which were half games) so turnover rate was technically not down, just on pace.. (;

Astonishing dude. Cardale "Shotgun" Jones (don't get that nickname for being a "runner") had a 2.5 ypc rate against Bama and 1.8 ypc rate against Oregon. That's not an effective running quarterback that you're trying to paint him as. He is a passing qb that would extend plays with his legs. And that's not what Jeff Sims is.

And it's not "making stuff up" as you say, it's actual facts and actually stats.

We do not need a qb that relies on running the ball and cannot throw effectively or has a problem turning the ball over. We do need a qb that can throw effectively and only relies on running the ball to extend plays or change of pace(ex. Cardale Jones, Harrison Bailey).

You're killing me with this uneducated, unorthodox argument bud :/
Jeff had 7ints in 21’ & I’m pretty sure he didn’t have 5 fumbles so where you getting 12 turnovers from?
Jeff threw 12 TD. Ran 4. Passer rating and completion percentage improved and that with a bad Miami game. A game he played hurt.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Jeff had 7ints in 21’ & I’m pretty sure he didn’t have 5 fumbles so where you getting 12 turnovers from?
Jeff threw 12 TD. Ran 4. Passer rating and completion percentage improved and that with a bad Miami game. A game he played hurt.
Does anyone know when he hurt his foot during the game?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The problem with both the QB and OL is what was available when the last staff left. We had guys who should be RBs playing QB, and we didn't have any real OTs--and there is a reason that LTs are the highest paid position in the NFL except maybe the QBs. I'm not sold on Sims, but I remember that Joe Hamilton wasn't all that great his RFr year either.
Not only did the last staff not leave any QBs or OTs behind, the last staff didn't have any lined up in the 2019 class. So we didn't start recruiting at those positions until last year. We've had a Fr starting at RT the last two years and different transfers at LT. TE has been the same issue. And it goes without saying that we don't have depth,and we've had injuries at those positions. Yet if this board is a barometer, most of our fans don't understand what we been up against. All they seem to know is that we are losing and it's Collins' fault.
I would say if a staff went in knowing this, they should have looked under every rock for players that fit their criteria.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Saints did it with Drew Brees and Taysom Hill with great success. Florida did it with Kyle Trask and Emory Jones. Wisconsin did it in 2014 to the tune of a 11-3 record. Hell, Florida even did it with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. It can definitely work if you have a play caller who can effectively use both guys’ talents and players who will buy into the system and not compete for the glory or limelight, and only compete for wins.
Anyone remember Kim King and Larry Good? But of course Bobby Dodd was a special kind of genius at using different skill sets for different situations.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Scroll all the way over…. 1 at NIU, 1 at duke, 1 at VT, 2 at Miami=5

7 picks + 5 fumbles = 12