Pyron vs FSU

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Key at beginning of presser said it was a sprain confirmed by MRI. Also different injury (same foot / ankle) than game before. Day to day for Sims is what Key said.

That's what I heard. Don't know anymore really. My sprains never recovered in a week. Sims was walking around during the UVa game after he was benched. So who knows.
A sprain could be anything really. A MRI really confirmed no ligament damage and it was probably ordered after an X-ray confirmed no broken bones. So basically it hurts, probably has some level of swelling, and probably limits range of motion to some degree but other than that it's anybody's guess as to how long it will take. Sometimes broken bones heal faster than soft tissue injuries

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Quarterback tryout time.
MJ Morris looked good for NC State last night. I was at the game until it was 21-3 Hokies and he rallied them back. NCST's OLINE is probably miles better than ours, but I'm hoping ZP can shine like MJ did if given the opportunity. I'm curious as to why Doren did not turn to MJ sooner after Leary went down... the backup prior to MJ was horrendous.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
He played at Carrollton, he’s in the same class as Pyron (last recruiting class)
I just looked him up on UNCSt website. Even though it lists Carrolton as his hometown and that he did play his senior year there it also lists him having been at Pace Academy his junior season.

Pace Academy hired a head FB coach a few years ago that probably employed some "special" recruiting techniques starting about 6-7 years ago that showed out in an unusual amount of on field success relative to their norm. Morris may have been one of those kids who came to Pace from his hometown but ended up back home for his senior season.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know what it is with our OL, recruiting or coaching? I mean CBK had NC OLs at 'bama so it seems to me it has to be recruiting but I don't know and why I'm asking.

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone know what it is with our OL, recruiting or coaching? I mean CBK had NC OLs at 'bama so it seems to me it has to be recruiting but I don't know and why I'm asking.
We’ve got one OL coach. It’s Key. He was also assistant HC and now he’s HC and his attention is split. I wonder if things would be different if we had someone full time working on the OL.

stigs02jrt

Banned
We’ve got one OL coach. It’s Key. He was also assistant HC and now he’s HC and his attention is split. I wonder if things would be different if we had someone full time working on the OL.
Key was full time OL coach for 3.5 years, and they were bad, so a full time OL probably don't fix it. Gotta be a talent issue

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Does having good offensive skill players make a big difference when an OL recruit makes his decision on which school he will attend? I'm just not understanding why CBK cannot recruit good OLs, I thought he was supposed to be a good recruiter also.

slugboy

Staff member
Key was full time OL coach for 3.5 years, and they were bad, so a full time OL probably don't fix it. Gotta be a talent issue
1. Key has had other titles and responsibilities the entire time he’s been here, so “Key was full time OL coach for 3.5 years” may not be true
2. If you look at the PFF grades for our OL, they’re really low—low for FBS, not just low for P5. Our offense is certainly bottom 6 in P5, and probably in the bottom 30 offenses in FBS depending on how you track that. Even if you think that recruiting ratings are less methodical and accurate than astrology, even somewhat dumb luck in recruiting should get us close to average if we know how to coach an OL.

Does having good offensive skill players make a big difference when an OL recruit makes his decision on which school he will attend? I'm just not understanding why CBK cannot recruit good OLs, I thought he was supposed to be a good recruiter also.

We’ve had three classes of OL recruits, including touted transfers, plus a strength and conditioning program. It’s hard to believe even weak recruiting is the primary problem. Yeah, recruiting can be some of the problem, but smaller schools are having more success.
I’m thinking that the teaching and coaching has to be an issue.
Maybe they are being asked to do more than they’re ready to do—if that’s the case, you teach them something more basic and simpler.

principal skinner old people GIF

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Other than a coaching issue, i wonder how much of it has to do with the carousel of one year eligible transfers we got every year. Not much time for any cohesiveness. Idk, just a thought

Jolly Good Fellow
no
it would not
i have been reluctant to criticize OL out of positional sympathy …. but they are not good…at all… but they are who we got.. so how do we protect their inadequacies? With play calling.. chip has failed them and us

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Other than a coaching issue, i wonder how much of it has to do with the carousel of one year eligible transfers we got every year. Not much time for any cohesiveness. Idk, just a thought
I sort of think what you are saying could at least be part of it. We all know that working together is probably more important with the OL more than any other position, maybe DB is as important but does not seem to take as long to accomplish there.