Pyron vs FSU

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We’ve got one OL coach. It’s Key. He was also assistant HC and now he’s HC and his attention is split. I wonder if things would be different if we had someone full time working on the OL.
No the OL has sucked his whole time as a GT coach.

slugboy

Staff member
Not sure the way CGC was Key got to practice them like he wanted.
I think it’s the case that the practices were disorganized and ineffective under Collins and that hindered Key’s ability to coach the OL. Now, I think it’s the case that the practices are better organized and more effective, but Key doesn’t get to focus on the OL because his duties are split across the entire team, and the OL needs focus.
Other things can also be true, like swapping out transfers year-in and year-out and losing key players from injury can also hurt.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think it’s the case that the practices were disorganized and ineffective under Collins and that hindered Key’s ability to coach the OL. Now, I think it’s the case that the practices are better organized and more effective, but Key doesn’t get to focus on the OL because his duties are split across the entire team, and the OL needs focus.
Other things can also be true, like swapping out transfers year-in and year-out and losing key players from injury can also hurt.

Mobs Message boards have little use for nuance...

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I thought this thread was about Pyron. Damn good start.

He got the ball out quick so FSU couldn't rush as many. Hope he is here next year.
His upside looks good. He has a great opportunity if he stays to take the helm and make a name in the ACC for himself. Obviously, the upcoming coaching situation will determine a lot but sure the new coach will do what it takes to retain him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It seemed like in the first half it was run on first down, run on second down, and then pass on third and long. Very predictable.

Just spitballing here, but FSU came into this game with the nations 13th best passing defense and 85th best rushing defense. Since we were playing Pyron in his first college game, and run blocking is easier than pass blocking, (though admittedly we don't do either well), calling a lot of run plays to let the QB get settled seems like exactly what we should have been doing.

IMO, it was execution, not necessarily play calling, that was the problem today.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just spitballing here, but FSU came into this game with the nations 13th best passing defense and 85th best rushing defense. Since we were playing Pyron in his first college game, and run blocking is easier than pass blocking, (though admittedly we don't do either well), calling a lot of run plays to let the QB get settled seems like exactly what we should have been doing.

IMO, it was execution, not necessarily play calling, that was the problem today.
The rpo then pass in first half - had gibson as the threat = -4 yds. Until they broke the rpo , we were sitting ducks in the backfield. The pyron pass over middle to 0 was thru a bunch of hands.

By way the 55 guy at left tackle was replaced by true freshman 74 Gibson. He seemed competent. That would be nice to see him get into the mix as he is a big person.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounded on radio like Pyron did ok for a frosh in his first extended time. I mean, you can't ask for miracles when your QB isn't getting much time to throw.

I expect he'll get more work, even after Sims recovers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had to watch a replay late last night. I thought the first half couldn't be judged as the OL had ZP running for his life. In the second half, Pyron looked like a young QB with a bright future. I hope it's with GT.
Am i wrong / Am i right.

At halftime Key - told oc skip the RPO- simplify. Told Winke - tell the Kid to wing it
Just like pitt game- told Thack to stop backing up.

Next week - can we put in two good halves.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Supposedly Pyron lit up our O in the locker room at the half. Calling guys out specifically about missed assignments and it was well received. Think we found QB2 for sure this season.

Agree we can be manageable with a game plan behind him. Loved seeing his post game video (worth a watch if you missed it) for his poise and confidence. Also loved seeing him get in the end zone at the end. Hard to teach having a nose for points and unwillingness to do anything but get them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly Pyron lit up our O in the locker room at the half. Calling guys out specifically about missed assignments and it was well received. Think we found QB2 for sure this season.

Agree we can be manageable with a game plan behind him. Loved seeing his post game video (worth a watch if you missed it) for his poise and confidence. Also loved seeing him get in the end zone at the end. Hard to teach having a nose for points and unwillingness to do anything but get them.
The idea of Gibson being ahead of Pyron is a head scratcher.
Pyron - won 3 straight Alabama high school football championships at 2 different schools.
UNC - leading acc coastal w a freshman qb.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Pyron - won 3 straight Alabama high school football championships at 2 different schools.
I think (Pyron) can be the best QB we have had at Tech in a long time. Just hope whoever is the next Head Coach talks to him first.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah I generally try to not second guess coaches. They see the kids everyday in all the practice reps and have a better knowledge of their scheme than anything I can approximate. They also get paid to make the call.

This one though is a real doozy for me.