Props to Andrew Thacker (maybe CGC)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
we had several games vs them where we didn’t cross the 50 until the second half. venables absolutely owned paul johnson after 2014 and there was not a remotely competitive game
At the half time we hired tstan Clemson 's points = Gt yards.

Cgc s decisions in last 1/3 of game was hard to understand.

Guys, we have been thru heck for 3 years and will know after Duke.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
When UGA was significantly outmatched by Clemson's defense last year, should their coach have just given up?
Probably not, with 65 4 and 5 star recruits. But he looked like he wanted to crawl in his shell before the end of the SEC championship game. It’s amazing how a team with like 18 draft picks can still be humbled. Probably should never compare a team with one draft pick to a team with 18.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
don’t see this as a realistic view of the game tbh. i get we need to be hard asses and play tough but dabo went hurry up with klubnik to save some face and appeal to some tiger net fans

paul johnson didn’t play a remotely competitive game with clemson his last 4 years coaching for us. we just have to worry about beating our coastal opponents. clemson hasn’t been our barometer in a LONG time
CPJ's last 4 = 150-68 vs CGC at 180-39. It would be much worse without DJ's flop last year.

JacketFan137

Banned
CPJ also played both of Clemson's National Championship teams in that timespan.
and 2 of the clemson teams collins played made the playoffs. i don’t think either played much better or worse teams. the gap was basically the same

paul’s offense also kept it close on the scoring side since he was burning way more clock.

this isn’t really to spark yet another debate about the option vs non option again. bottom line is dabo has dominated us period and really the last year and 2.5 quarters of this year were the only times we’ve ever looked competitive in these games

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
and 2 of the clemson teams collins played made the playoffs. i don’t think either played much better or worse teams. the gap was basically the same

paul’s offense also kept it close on the scoring side since he was burning way more clock.

this isn’t really to spark yet another debate about the option vs non option again. bottom line is dabo has dominated us period and really the last year and 2.5 quarters of this year were the only times we’ve ever looked competitive in these games

This is where you need to recognize that there are legitimate critiques of the current staff. CGC has struggled with Clemson. So did CPJ, but not as badly, and CPJ teams played against their two BEST teams. We can argue the nuances of WHY, but the facts are what the facts are.

JacketFan137

Banned
This is where you need to recognize that there are legitimate critiques of the current staff. CGC has struggled with Clemson. So did CPJ, but not as badly, and CPJ teams played against their two BEST teams. We can argue the nuances of WHY, but the facts are what the facts are.
i do accept that there are legitimate critiques so i don’t really see what you’re trying to say here. at the end of the day though it’s a pretty weak argument to just use point differentials. losing 26-7 where you crossed the 50 only 2 times and scored in garbage time isn’t a whole lot better than losing 70-7. at the end of the day they’re both pretty humiliating losses. frankly if we’re being honest with ourselves we only won in 2014 cause deshaun watson tore his acl.

collins frankly has given us the only competitive game period in recent history and even then he hasn’t been enough to really make a difference with the rest of the games being lopsided

someone either the next coach or collins has to figure it out cause it’s been equally tough sledding for the last 8 years

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
i do accept that there are legitimate critiques so i don’t really see what you’re trying to say here. at the end of the day though it’s a pretty weak argument to just use point differentials. losing 26-7 where you crossed the 50 only 2 times and scored in garbage time isn’t a whole lot better than losing 70-7. at the end of the day they’re both pretty humiliating losses. frankly if we’re being honest with ourselves we only won in 2014 cause deshaun watson tore his acl.

collins frankly has given us the only competitive game period in recent history and even then he hasn’t been enough to really make a difference with the rest of the games being lopsided

someone either the next coach or collins has to figure it out cause it’s been equally tough sledding for the last 8 years
In the 26-7 game (against a team that beat Ohio St 31-0) we were down by two scores with 13 minutes left in the game. In the 70-7 game we were down by six scores with 13 minutes left in the game and their punter was playing QB. Those aren't the same.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

;)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
In the 26-7 game (against a team that beat Ohio St 31-0) we were down by two scores with 13 minutes left in the game. In the 70-7 game we were down by six scores with 13 minutes left in the game and their punter was playing QB. Those aren't the same.

🤣:LOL:

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

NOT equally tough sledding. It's not the system either, it IS.... one coach is about 4 magnitudes above the other in game planning and certainly game day coaching. You can feel free to pick who is which. At this point, the only thing that matters, is the one that is the lesser of the two in both situations is a real liability relative to the one that isn't. We so need to return to the level of the one who isn't the liability, without going to his system and/or going back to him. Not likely to happen without LEADERSHIP at the TOP.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yep, not even remotely similar. 26-7 is "they beat em pretty good". 70-7 with a punter at qb is a "J.F.C., what the hell happened to Georgia Tech", record-setting level of bad.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Not a great showing overall. Holding Clemson to a FG after 1 of the blocked punts would have made a statement. Depth is clearly an issue. With a struggling O line depth will continue to be tested. They couldn't find a way after Charlie went out. D played well for about 2.5 quarters.

Then our offense completely disappeared mid third quarter and the defense wore out. Our leading tackler (Charlie Thomas 7 solos in 2.5 quarters) got ejected for targeting.

In fairness to Clemson I think they also started playing a little better. Their QB got a little confidence and they had some key plays go their way.

14 points is on the punt team IMO. So I'd say Clemson's O put up 27 points on the D. Not a great showing and with their defense being superb our O was not going to keep up. The D did two things it couldn't do last year. (1) get pressure on the QB. (2) stopped opponent from completing bombs at will. The front four did not get overwhelmed.

There is hope on the defensive side, particularly if the O can move the ball better vs lesser defenses.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I guess I never realized how great losing felt under Johnson... I don’t know why I can’t appreciate it as much now...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You, more than any other poster invoke CPJ and then get sideways when someone defends him.
Losing to Clemson sucks. It has sucked, it continues to suck and it will suck going forward. It’s a little easier to accept when we’re beating someone else, though!
I think I recognize the point you’re trying to make... we should be worried about beating the VTs, Miamis, Syracuses and BCs of the world before we get bent about not being competitive with Clemson. The problem being, What we continue to observe is a declining trend, regardless of when it started. Yes we’re in a hole. Someone else indeed may have started digging it, but it’s not clear if the current group has stopped digging yet. That’s the problem, right?

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan

The last 2 Clemson teams are much worse than any of the Lawrence/Watson teams offensively.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
folks arguing Johnson vs. Collins about their performance against Clemson is fairly pointless. The gap between Clemson and Georgia vs Georgia Tech has been huge the last 5 years and only widening. No fan of the coaching performance of Collins. But unless a new coach can game plan far better, recruit at a higher level (which has been made tougher with NIL), and have substantially more depth (which has been ravaged by easy transfers), significant thrashings will continue against both Clemson and UGA.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The D did two things it couldn't do last year. (1) get pressure on the QB. (2) stopped opponent from completing bombs at will. The front four did not get overwhelmed.

There is hope on the defensive side, particularly if the O can move the ball better vs lesser defenses.
I was encouraged by the play of the defense, and it looked capable of turning in some very good performances against the next ten teams on our schedule. The line stood toe-to-toe for three quarters, the tackling was crisp, and the DB's were like night and day compared to last year. This D might have the potential to carry the team to a bowl game. We all hope.

JacketFan137

Banned
we didn’t cross the 50 at half and put up points in garbage time. that loss was pretty equal and at the end of the day they’re both L’s where we were thoroughly dominated. in the end it doesn’t matter. my point was clemson has dominated this regime and the last. it’s hard to gleam much from the game either way when we never see success against them.

moral losses only count for johnson apparently