Props to Andrew Thacker (maybe CGC)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Even if you take the blocked punts away, they still scored double what they scored last year. Is Clemson that much better this year? I don’t know. It’s the first game of the season, but the main reason I brought up last year’s game is we played them close and had a chance to force OT AT Clemson and we still only won 3 games. I’m not taking the fools gold of “playing well against a top program” again. Not to mention, while I agree the final score isn’t a true indicator of the game, we ultimately were not even in this game by the 4th quarter. No need for moral victories. We lost by 31.
Clemson's offense is far superior to their 2021 offense that we faced.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Well let’s look at the defensive performance critically instead of just reading the box score. The final TD was absolutely a garbage time score where the team had accepted a loss. Clemson got 2 TDs after our special teams gifted them the ball in the red zone/by the goal line. Take away the situations where nearly every defense in the NCAA would have given up a score, Clemson scored 20 on us when we tried. This is with a tired D that had to be on the field constantly with a stagnant O. This Clemson O also looked better than last year. Holding a top team in the country (Maybe they aren’t really #4 but they still are a good team) to 20 is a massive accomplishment to me.
I personally disagree with your view. I do respect it though. I am looking at it from a different angle I guess and nothing in this game spoke to me personally as a massive accomplishment. Again, I respect your view.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I personally disagree with your view. I do respect it though. I am looking at it from a different angle I guess and nothing in this game spoke to me personally as a massive accomplishment. Again, I respect your view.
I agree and the last time I looked Special teams was still a part of the game that we needed to be better prepared for........2019 deja vu ? Collins still does not have the staff he needs to overcome his inability to play 3 dimensional chess ( O, D, ST ). He is constantly playing whack a mole against equal or better competition/coaching. WE should have had "special " formations to try and block their punts early in the game when their O was still vulnerable.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I agree and the last time I looked Special teams was still a part of the game that we needed to be better prepared for........2019 deja vu ? Collins still does not have the staff he needs to overcome his inability to play 3 dimensional chess ( O, D, ST ). He is constantly playing whack a mole against equal or better competition/coaching. WE should have had "special " formations to try and block their punts early in the game when their O was still vulnerable.

Oh Lord, I can't imagine Collins trying to play 3 dimensional chess..... 🤣 🤣

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think you're reading many of them wrong.

People don't like:
a. Lack of discipline- typically a GT strength, been a weakness last 3 years and continuing into today
b. Lack of effort- geez some players took plays off AND still stayed in the game. GT historically never wins when we don't get a full team effort.
c. Bad game management- this is Year 4, hire someone to help if you're not up to the task

These are all leadership related problems, hence all the angst. If we just got whipped by a far physically superior team, well that would be one thing, it's how we're getting beat which is terribly troubling.

As far as who we played is concerned, Clemson playing in any other conference with their starting QB is not a Top 10 team, but they have only 1 real challenge in ND. They'll likely get beat in 1 or 2 others games if they don't solve their weak QB issue. I'm not sold on their D either against top competition looking at how they played last night. Frankly, I'm not sure they're better than their 10-3 last year record & sitting home for conference championship given their lack of edge last night.
Clemson will definitely get whooped if the make it to the playoffs, possibly ND is up to the task also. I’m starting to truly dislike Dabo so that would not bother me at all

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
sims got to get to a second and third read, and honestly aside from a crazy deep shot (that was more playcalling) he made way less mistakes.
He played better overall and I don’t blame him for the deep shot one bit. In fact, it was so obvious we were either throwing a bomb or running a trick play on the first okay based off Sims’ response to a press conference question about if he knew what the first play was going to be. This was a few weeks ago. Honestly such a childish play call to me and I’d be shocked if the was a CCL decision.

That being said, Clemson dropped an easy pick 6, Sims threw it up into triple coverage in the end zone that was incomplete, and he was loose with the ball that caused him to fumble on a sack. I’d agree he made less mistakes than last year, but he also got away with numerous unforced errors. If we’re giving him credit for his decision-making, you can’t ignore the extremely poor decisions that Clemson didn’t capitalize on.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
He played better overall and I don’t blame him for the deep shot one bit. In fact, it was so obvious we were either throwing a bomb or running a trick play on the first okay based off Sims’ response to a press conference question about if he knew what the first play was going to be. This was a few weeks ago. Honestly such a childish play call to me and I’d be shocked if the was a CCL decision.

That being said, Clemson dropped an easy pick 6, Sims threw it up into triple coverage in the end zone that was incomplete, and he was loose with the ball that caused him to fumble on a sack. I’d agree he made less mistakes than last year, but he also got away with numerous unforced errors. If we’re giving him credit for his decision-making, you can’t ignore the extremely poor decisions that Clemson didn’t capitalize on.
Actually thought Simms played very well. Both the interception and near pic six his arm was hit during the delivery. The only bad decision was throwing into trip coverage. I walked away convinced that he has turned the corner.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Actually thought Simms played very well. Both the interception and near pic six his arm was hit during the delivery. The only bad decision was throwing into trip coverage. I walked away convinced that he has turned the corner.
I can’t disagree with that too much. He looked much more confident. He was loose with the ball in the pocket on the fumble though. But again, we know who he was up against. He graded out well. For the near pick 6, Carter didn’t fight back toward the ball anyway which was more my gripe. Sims did seem to lock in to him though.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We gave up 41 points. They all count until the clock reads 00:00. The D had moments but the game is 60 minutes long.

There's no way to put lipstick on this latest pig. 41-10 is nothing to build off of other than exposing The Current Guy for the failure he continues to be. And the clock on Stansbury just ran off more time.
Causal take. If We were leading 17-10 with 3:53 in the 3rd against WCU next week and won 41-10 I assume your opinion would be different .

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
don’t see this as a realistic view of the game tbh. i get we need to be hard asses and play tough but dabo went hurry up with klubnik to save some face and appeal to some tiger net fans

paul johnson didn’t play a remotely competitive game with clemson his last 4 years coaching for us. we just have to worry about beating our coastal opponents. clemson hasn’t been our barometer in a LONG time
It’s fair that Clemson has passed us by in national relevance, but CPJ never turned turtle in a game. That was embarrassing. Wasn’t COViD, wasn’t the transition, wasn’t recruiting stars. Coach waved the white flag.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s fair that Clemson has passed us by in national relevance, but CPJ never turned turtle in a game. That was embarrassing. Wasn’t COViD, wasn’t the transition, wasn’t recruiting stars. Coach waved the white flag.
I absolutely loved Paul but we were over matched physically more in his last few games than last night. With the exception of 2014, our offensive production against the current defensive front would have been abysmal. Might as well been a turtle.

JacketFan137

Banned
I absolutely loved Paul but we were over matched physically more in his last few games than last night. With the exception of 2014, our offensive production against the current defensive front would have been abysmal. Might as well been a turtle.
we had several games vs them where we didn’t cross the 50 until the second half. venables absolutely owned paul johnson after 2014 and there was not a remotely competitive game

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
When UGA was significantly outmatched by Clemson's defense last year, should their coach have just given up?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought the defense played very well against Clemson. I hope they have a similar level of play (like in the first half) against all the other teams on our schedule, but I worry that this will be a repeat of the Clemson and UNC games from last year. We looked good until everyone had film on us, and then we got ripped to shreds the rest of the year.