Previous Offense and Recruiting

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
They landed Juanyeh, the Swillings, Riq and host of others really talented players. But classes are not defined by 2 recruits. It’s the other 18 guys as well.

Can certainly agree with this. And I’ll say early results indicate CGC and staff could be the best recruiting staff I’ve seen at Tech since the end of the Ross era. Heck maybe even better than that. Time will tell. Recruiting does look improved and if they can sustain it they should have plenty of talent on hand to work with. Which makes all coaches look smart.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Can certainly agree with this. And I’ll say early results indicate CGC and staff could be the best recruiting staff I’ve seen at Tech since the end of the Ross era. Heck maybe even better than that. Time will tell. Recruiting does look improved and if they can sustain it they should have plenty of talent on hand to work with. Which makes all coaches look smart.
O'Leary landed some ballers as well. His coaching staff was loaded.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
problem is, some posters here take ANY compliments of Coach Collins and his staff as implicit criticism of the previous HC and staff.
I don't necessarily agree with you on this point. I think most fonts are very excited, and can't wait to see what this staff is going to do with the guys we have now and the guys they're going to bring in. However, when a potshot is made at the previous group while praising what the current guys are doing does rub some people the wrong way. You don't have to tear down one coach to build up another.

An example of this is "turning the program around." I posit that the current guys are not "turning the program around," but building on what CPJ and his team created, and moving us towards the next level. For whatever reasons, and they don't really matter, we were stagnating, and it was time for a fresh approach. With the high energy and excitement CGC and his staff have brought in, they've injected new life into the program, raised expectations and reinvigorated the fan base and student athletes. That's awesome! Instead of "turning around the program" or similar expressions, I think we should be focusing on concepts like "taking us to the next level" or "building on the success of the previous coaching staff to get us to that next level."

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Because kids will never be as willing to ride the pine for a couple of years with Techs academics compared to doing the same at Clemp or UGA or a Duke or UNC in BB
This is going to be the true test for this coaching staff. With the promise of early playing time, they can sell the program and school to top level kids. Once we have the top flight kids filling the 1's, are we going to be able to bring in the same level of kids to be backups initially or red-shirt initially? That is something only time will tell. Historically, this has been an issue with most of our highly successful recruiting coaches. What gives me optimism that this staff can do that is the whole "above the line" concept. If you're good enough to play, you're going to play. If you're not there yet, you're going to get practice and reps to get above the line. This is different than having to beat out the guy in front of you; it's more like you and the two guys next to you are going to share time so that you're both fresh and able to dominate as the game wears on. Just my thoughts.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
That's not exactly true. There have been plenty of posts, including one today, where someone directly threw shade at the CPJ regime. Now, some CPJ fans are overly sensitive to any perceived slight, but there are some fans out there pretty much trashing CPJ whenever they get a chance.

I was as big a CPJ fan as anyone on here. I'm now a huge CGC fan, and plan to remain one as long as he is coach here. Somewhere in the future both sides of the fan base will move on, but both sides need to give up the potshots for that to happen.
There’s a degree of emotional maturity that has to be exercised when making these kinds of evaluations. You can reveer / respect people without endorsing all of their behaviors and characteristics.

Throughout my young career, I’ve tried to take away the positives from bosses and coworkers. I’ve had bosses that were exceptionally bright and challenged me to better think outside the box, but didn’t engender a compelling culture. I’ve had others who weren’t as bright but were great team builders.

My question to our fan base: why can’t we appreciate Paul Johnson for being an exceptional football mind that did some great things at GT? Can we not admire his genuine personality? That’s not to say I wasn’t frustrated by his general disregard for managing his sometimes curmudgeon demeanor. Or I was exctatic about our recruiting rankings that were directly tied to his lack of branding / marketing and social media presence. But I’m not going to throw out the good just because some things weren’t optimal.

Milwaukee

Banned
I don't necessarily agree with you on this point. I think most fonts are very excited, and can't wait to see what this staff is going to do with the guys we have now and the guys they're going to bring in. However, when a potshot is made at the previous group while praising what the current guys are doing does rub some people the wrong way. You don't have to tear down one coach to build up another.

An example of this is "turning the program around." I posit that the current guys are not "turning the program around," but building on what CPJ and his team created, and moving us towards the next level. For whatever reasons, and they don't really matter, we were stagnating, and it was time for a fresh approach. With the high energy and excitement CGC and his staff have brought in, they've injected new life into the program, raised expectations and reinvigorated the fan base and student athletes. That's awesome! Instead of "turning around the program" or similar expressions, I think we should be focusing on concepts like "taking us to the next level" or "building on the success of the previous coaching staff to get us to that next level."

If you can't handle the phrase "turn the program around" without getting offended then that's just a you problem. You're gonna hate everyone, coaching staff included, with that mindset.

This is ridiculous.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Recruiting has been an obvious weakness the 4 decades I have been a GT fan regardless of the sport and some of you who have been around longer can probably validate it extends all the way thru the Dodd period. If we can break the chain then maybe we can have a sustained period of excellence. Time will tell.

I thought some sizable number of GT fans I’ve been around the last 10 years were kind of an anomaly, but given the tenor on this board probably not. The withdrawal of support for the program during the CPJ era even when we had good years set us back and it was a setback from a level of support that wasn’t very good to begin with. We’ve got a lot of ground to recover just to get to the point we’re at Dook & Wake Forest levels. That much is a fact. I personally don't understand the psychology behind it but it is what it is.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting has been an obvious weakness the 4 decades I have been a GT fan regardless of the sport and some of you who have been around longer can probably validate it extends all the way thru the Dodd period. If we can break the chain then maybe we can have a sustained period of excellence. Time will tell.

I thought some sizable number of GT fans I’ve been around the last 10 years were kind of an anomaly, but given the tenor on this board probably not. The withdrawal of support for the program during the CPJ era even when we had good years set us back and it was a setback from a level of support that wasn’t very good to begin with. We’ve got a lot of ground to recover just to get to the point we’re at Dook & Wake Forest levels. That much is a fact. I personally don't understand the psychology behind it but it is what it is.

It’s mainly driven by just the inherent nature of the typical GT alum.

Some of what makes them successful in life and business makes them not so good as fans (fanatics).

There’s also an element of little brother syndrome.

We can’t keep pointing fingers at the coaches and GTAA. Time for fans to step up.