President Peterson has announced his retirement

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I guess I’m the only one who is sad about this on this board? I loved president Peterson and everything he did for the institution to raise the standard of academics. Seeing everyone so excited about his departure makes me a bit sad.

He is morally deficient. He stood by while students with certain beliefs were discriminated against, and several times stood by while people he hired stole from the taxpayers.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sad to see Tech lose it’s ‘survival of the fittest’ reputation under Bud. A Tech degree is based on tough, knowledgeable graduates who have made it through the meat grinder. Under Bud, it seems like he favored certain traits in applicants while pushing through every admitted applicant.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude, it's not about athletes not taking it. If you don't want athletes to not take it, the you have to open up a non-Calculus degree program. You can't just say that all the other students have to have it for this degree, but these athletes don't. That's my point.
Agreed. And I would go even further and say GT is already over-saturated to the detriment of education/research, so there better be a very good reason to open up a new program and trying to improve athletic recruiting/retainment is not one. It doesn't matter how good your faculty is if the faculty-student/researcher ratio is unfavorable. Other services (e.g. housing, transportation, health, administration, etc.) are also strained much worse than what they were a decade ago.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Dude, it's not about athletes not taking it. If you don't want athletes to take it, then you have to open up a non-Calculus degree program. You can't just say that all the other students have to have it for this degree, but these athletes don't. That's my point.
Duude that's what im saying. Having calculus be a required subject for everybody is stupid

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as the nerd understands that he/she/it will be consumed by the daily fires of a living Hell if they try to stop the NWO of a GT that desires and deserves greatness in all of its endeavors.

They best understand they will be earning 1/3 LESS money than CGC for a reason.

And that reason is that college football is moronic trying to keep up with Joneses and the TV money.

You need more?

Nope, that is enough. My point is that athletics support isn't in the equation.

Animal02

Banned
I’m sad to see Tech lose it’s ‘survival of the fittest’ reputation under Bud. A Tech degree is based on tough, knowledgeable graduates who have made it through the meat grinder. Under Bud, it seems like he favored certain traits in applicants while pushing through every admitted applicant.
He was pretty much force to in order for Tech to maintain high rankings with the various publishing rags.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Duuude that's what im saying. Having calculus be a required subject for everybody is stupid

I can agree with that, but that's not what you wrote. What you wrote is athletes shouldn't have to take it. I can get behind this clarification.

Animal02

Banned
It will be interesting to see which way they do a search.....with a faculty involved committee or if it is done in secret with a third party group and little to no faculty involvement.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
And that reason is that college football is moronic trying to keep up with Joneses and the TV money.

Nope, that is enough. My point is that athletics support isn't in the equation.

And, by that reasoning, “keeping up with the Joneses” could apply to any face of the university endeavor.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
And, by that reasoning, “keeping up with the Joneses” could apply to any face of the university endeavor.

True, but I would say that GT is keeping up with the Joneses in academics, hence the salary of Peterson and the continued good academic reputation of GT. Again, it is not the job of the president to make sure GT becomes the next Clemson or Bama.