President Peterson has announced his retirement

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I personally feel he was in over his head.

We need a geoff collins personality to take the reigns. Someone who can sell. Someone to brand GT. We know it's the best institution, but lets force others to know what we know!

We need another Arthur Hansen.

I remember when he was hired and was asked how he felt about football, he replied “I am from Green Bay, does that tell you anything?”

crut

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully whoever comes in can address the mental health situation on campus a bit better. My understanding was if you didn't say you were suicidal, you wouldn't get an appointment for counseling. The lack of funding was definitely a major criticism for YEARS from the student body. That being said, I think GT has risen it's profile a lot over the last ten years and we're in a better place academically (especially for research).
A half truth. You absolutely can get an appointment no matter what, but currently, unless you are viewed as a threat to yourself or others, you are not awarded an appointment immediately. Everyone else cannot come in and immediately talk with someone. You have to answer a questionaire, then you are matched to a councilor, and then given an appointment. This process takes roughly 1-2 weeks.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Serious question: what makes any of you think the new Pres will support the football program more than Peterson? I fear we’ve set our sights on MIT/CMU not Stanford. Not that either is a bad thing overall, but obviously one is different than the other with regard to athletics.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Serious question: what makes any of you think the new Pres will support the football program more than Peterson? I fear we’ve set our sights on MIT/CMU not Stanford. Not that either is a bad thing overall, but obviously one is different than the other with regard to athletics.
CMU? Central Mississippi University?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Below is the text of an email that my sister (a GT student who graduated in December) forwarded to me this morning. President Peterson has announced his retirement to the campus body.

"To the Georgia Tech campus community:

I have indicated to Chancellor Steve Wrigley my desire to step down as president of Georgia Tech this coming summer. While we have not identified a specific date, I anticipate that in the coming weeks, he will establish a search committee and that I will continue to serve as president until the new president has been identified and is able to begin his/her tenure.

In 1975, I made a career change and resigned my position as an associate engineer at Black & Veatch to pursue a Ph.D. in order to work with young people through my teaching and research activities. It is my hope and expectation that upon completion of my duties as president, I will be able to return to the faculty and resume my teaching and research at Georgia Tech.

The opportunity to serve as president of Georgia Tech for the past 10 years has been one of the highlights of my career. While we have faced several challenges, I believe we are on a very positive trajectory, a trajectory that has characterized Georgia Tech and served it well for many years.

Georgia Tech is a great institution and great institutions are built on great people, great faculty, great staff and great students. Since our very first visit to Georgia Tech in the fall of 2008, Val and I have continued to be impressed with the quality of the people of Georgia Tech, and the dedication and commitment to making Georgia Tech the nationally recognized institution that it is today.

Much like the 3,500 students who graduated last December, Georgia Tech has an enormously bright future. With your continued hard work, dedication and focus on excellence, I have no doubt that we as an institution will be able to accomplish some truly remarkable things in the years to come.

In closing, I want to express my deep appreciation to each of you for all you have done as we continue to strive toward our goal of “defining the technological research university of the 21st century.” Val and I look forward to continuing to work with you through the upcoming transition period to ensure that Georgia Tech can continue its pursuit of excellence, a pursuit that has helped to make Georgia Tech one of the finest institutions of higher education in the country.

G.P. "Bud" Peterson, President
Georgia Institute of Technology"
Second best news I've heard in two months at GT...the first being Sewak leaving.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I wondered why Bud was a the Cobb Chamber breakfast this morning. Odd that, just minutes before he releases this, he's at the Chamber breakfast where the Chairman is giving the state of the county address. It had nothing to do with Tech, academics, engineering, etc. Again, odd timing for sure.
Because of the sweet deal GTRI got in purchasing some of Lockheed's property in Cobb Co.?

Animal02

Banned
My thought as well....suppose they hire another Petit.....who would have just as soon got rid of football

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know the narrative on this board was to blame Peterson "the Hill" for a lack of support for football. But he was walk-on tight end who later earned a a scholarship at Kansas State. Both TStan and CPJ were always complimentary of him as a boss. CGC talked more about meeting with Peterson before his hire than TStan. (Todd was out of town for much of the process iiuc.)

I think he appreciated football. Could he have done more to help? I don't know. But I wouldn't assume the next President will be better for athletics/football.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what pipe you guys are smoking. The president of the University shouldn't care that much about athletics beyond that they should be competitive. It's not like the President can just take money from the school to pay for athletics - it doesn't work that way, nor should it. I have no idea how good/bad Peterson has been because most of the information that gets floated is based upon the faulty notion that the president can simply just allocate more millions to football and unilaterally add new degree programs, etc. The real job of the president is to look after the well being of the institution as an academic institution - hopefully in a way that isn't detrimental to athletics.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My thought as well....suppose they hire another Petit.....who would have just as soon got rid of football
I never thought it could get worse!
Is the Un- Collins Effect a possibility!?

Only at Ga Tech
1. 11 years ago - Hire a genius option coach. Do real well so zero additional support while others increase support.

Dont support him

2. Last Month He retires from exhaustion. We then hire a high energy coach to start to support a national recruiting effort

3. This month we the care taker prez who has responsibile the preceding , retires after not catching corruption in other areas
3. Soon. We might
Hire the Prez that thinks football is keeping us from being MIT . Zero exceptions.

First we might not get Key and now we might get a SHAFT FOOTBALL PREZ.

Animal
Please help me and Put one of those purple "eye" emoji things.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know the narrative on this board was to blame Peterson "the Hill" for a lack of support for football. But he was walk-on tight end who later earned a a scholarship at Kansas State. Both TStan and CPJ were always complimentary of him as a boss. CGC talked more about meeting with Peterson before his hire than TStan. (Todd was out of town for much of the process iiuc.)

I think he appreciated football. Could he have done more to help? I don't know. But I wouldn't assume the next President will be better for athletics/football.

I would like to understand from the people who think Peterson was the bane of GT Athletics what specifically he did to harm the GTAA. You see vague descriptions all of the time, but I don't remember any specific issues.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I guess I’m the only one who is sad about this on this board? I loved president Peterson and everything he did for the institution to raise the standard of academics. Seeing everyone so excited about his departure makes me a bit sad.

Corruption on his watch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I would like to understand from the people who think Peterson was the bane of GT Athletics what specifically he did to harm the GTAA. You see vague descriptions all of the time, but I don't remember any specific issues.

General lack of apparent backing. One almost has to try to fall as far back in funding support for athletics. If he did really try to support funding it must have mostly been behind the scenes support.